Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#1266988 - 03/29/09 07:42 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: ]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

I'd be for a two pole per person max in a boat or on the bank.

I lived in Washington state many years ago and that was a highly enforced regulation. I'd love to see that regulation in effect in Tennessee and Mississippi.

#1267090 - 03/29/09 08:05 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: BuckWild]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: BuckWild

I lived in Washington state many years ago and that was a highly enforced regulation. I'd love to see that regulation in effect in Tennessee and Mississippi.

why?

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1267103 - 03/29/09 08:09 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: BuckWild]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I was catching 1.5 to 1.75 lb crappie pretty regular on the TN River back in the 80's when there were no size limits. Then I move to Memphis and start fishing Sardis and Enid and Arkabutla and am still catching 1.5 to 1.75 lb crappie on a regular basis. I caught 2 limits on Sardis last week. Fish are the same size they were before the 12 inch min went into effect. Just had 40 fish instead of 60 fish because they lowered the limit.
I fish Mississippi because it's close, not because it's got a 12 in min.

So what's your point? \:D \:D

my point is, i caught good fish as you in the eighties, but not so often now. do you still catch em in tn as you did in the eighties? not nearly as much pressure then. i disagree that the fish on sardis are no bigger. half of our forty fish limit last week weighed a solid two pounds on an electronic scale.

#1267139 - 03/29/09 08:17 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: 4onaside]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
 Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
 Originally Posted By: 4onaside
 Originally Posted By: keith35611
i do know crappie grow big in the tn river and i firmly believe it would work.

This is the part that makes your whole argument insane.Most of,if not all of the TN river in AL has a 9" minimum length.

no logic there keith. what is in place in alabama has nothing to do with what i am in favor of in tn.

i still haven't heard anyone say why it wouldn't or couldn't work?
What's your favorite method of fishing. Hmmmmm,it couldn't be trolling could it?

why don't you go back to talking about doves? just as relevent as this comment.
Of course, my comment is relevant. Just asked a question about your favorite method of fishing. Do you like to troll?

of course, your comment is irrelevant. try just stating your opinion if you have one, or some "science" as to why my thoughts are not practical. calling me a troll is irrelevant. why not just go ahead and say "if you disaggree with twra, then you are not welcome here"?

#1267273 - 03/29/09 08:46 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: Trapper John]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Trapper John

a man should apply some pride to his fishing just like his job, and throw those little tater chips back. leave the ten inchers for the bank fishermen sitting on buckets, or make em illegal.

This is part of the reason your proposal has turned into a joke. How can we possibly take you seriously when you demean other fishermen who don't measure up to your "standards?" Talking down to the "bank fishermen" and the "tater chip" comment...it makes you a bad joke. Combine that with no scientific backup and the posts above will be the result on here and at a TWRC meeting.

typical liberal response trap. don't expect excellence from anyone, just make everyone happy. very quickly becoming the american way. you and the other liberals on this website are the bad joke.

Unfortunately for you this really isn't a political argument. Getting this type of deal to be taken seriously requires scientific backing and support from the masses. Right now you have neither.

Since the troll smell has become prevalent in this thread I'll leave it at that.

trap, you are right. i don't do scientific research. don't have access to taxpayer dollars like some folks, although i still haven't seen any so called proof against my ideas. not a realistic expectation, just my opinion. i don't really expect excellence out of twra anymore. just pacify the masses. since half the sportsmen in my end of the state are trolls(someone who disagrees with twra), the odor you smell must be that of brainwashed twra desciple sitting at your computer.

#1267380 - 03/29/09 09:28 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: ]
mallard239
4 Point

Loc: Tn

deerlawyer, you could word your posts better, but your points are valid. it is disheartening to see perfectly able bodied men tossing ten inchers in a cooler.
#1267507 - 03/29/09 10:47 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: Trapper John]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

a man should apply some pride to his fishing just like his job, and throw those little tater chips back. leave the ten inchers for the bank fishermen sitting on buckets, or make em illegal.

This is part of the reason your proposal has turned into a joke. How can we possibly take you seriously when you demean other fishermen who don't measure up to your "standards?" Talking down to the "bank fishermen" and the "tater chip" comment...it makes you a bad joke. Combine that with no scientific backup and the posts above will be the result on here and at a TWRC meeting.

typical liberal response trap. don't expect excellence from anyone, just make everyone happy. very quickly becoming the american way. you and the other liberals on this website are the bad joke.

Unfortunately for you this really isn't a political argument. Getting this type of deal to be taken seriously requires scientific backing and support from the masses. Right now you have neither.

Since the troll smell has become prevalent in this thread I'll leave it at that.
Trapper, of course this guy is a troll. He makes some statement about yours being a typical liberal response, but he is obviously even confused about the definitions of what is a liberal and a conservative. His idea of a liberal apparently is anyone who dares to question that he knows best for us all. But in effect, you and those of us who think the present deal is OK are conservatives, status quo, and he is a liberal wanting change, change, change. Hey that sounds familiar. Funny how a guy like that can come in and stir up a bunch of crap, not by his ideas, but by basically telling everyone up front that we don't know what we are talking about. His statement about the TWRA just pacifying the masses is mind blowing. If they are just pacifying the masses, they are doing a great job. THAT'S THEIR JOB IN FISHERIES MANAGEMENT TO SATISFY THE MASSES. This lawyer? wants them to pacify the few, namely him and a tiny handful of malcontents. To .... with the majority.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1267665 - 03/30/09 05:58 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: stik]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Originally Posted By: stik

why?
To piss off the trollers. \:D \:D

#1267701 - 03/30/09 06:22 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: ]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

I was catching 1.5 to 1.75 lb crappie pretty regular on the TN River back in the 80's when there were no size limits. Then I move to Memphis and start fishing Sardis and Enid and Arkabutla and am still catching 1.5 to 1.75 lb crappie on a regular basis. I caught 2 limits on Sardis last week. Fish are the same size they were before the 12 inch min went into effect. Just had 40 fish instead of 60 fish because they lowered the limit.
I fish Mississippi because it's close, not because it's got a 12 in min.

So what's your point? \:D \:D

my point is, i caught good fish as you in the eighties, but not so often now. do you still catch em in tn as you did in the eighties? not nearly as much pressure then. i disagree that the fish on sardis are no bigger. half of our forty fish limit last week weighed a solid two pounds on an electronic scale.

How long have you been fishing Sardis? The reason I ask is because year before last the lake never came up to summer pool. The entire back 1/3 of the lake bed grew up in weeds six to eight feet tall. Last year, the lake came up fast and all the weeds got covered up with water. The lake was literally unfishable during the spawn except for maybe Teckville back to the dam. I've been waiting for this fishing season for a while. Everybody that fishes down there knows this will be a banner season because of the last two off years. It has nothing to do with a 12 inch minimum size limit. I've got a house at Sardis and my phone won't stop ringing. I've got two friends from Illinois that are coming down this week to fish.Everybody that fishes it has been waiting for this year to catch the big fish. The lake has been covered up every time I've gone even though the water is still pretty low.
Do you really think the 12 inch limit has made such a difference in only one year on Sardis? If so, you are a fool. My personal best string of Crappie out of there weighed a little over 87 lbs. 30 fish caught on a single hand pole in less than 2 hours back up in Lower Graham area.
About The TN River fish. I also have a house on Birdsong Creek. Last year with Sardis being messed up, my "group" of family and friends fished out of there last year. We caught limits daily and had a lot of good fish. Were they as big as Sardis fish? No, but that is a moot point. You can't compare apples and oranges.If you think Sardis fish are big, drive on down to Grenada or Enid. \:D But I caught 12 to 15 inch fish consistently in Birdsong Creek and bigger fish out in the Lake. We fished up at Springville and Mansford Island and south down to the mouth of the Duck River and the chute south of Rockport Island. We did notice that the fish were bigger out in the lake. But there were fewer people fishing these areas. Some mornings I'd have 4 or 5 boats in the cove behind my house for most of the day. Even those people will catch a few fish by accident every now and then. I've been fishing Sardis Lake every year for the last 19 years. There's always been big fish there. This year there are just more of them because of the past two years of low harvests.

Have fun.

#1267816 - 03/30/09 08:29 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum [Re: ]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Geez, DL, you've replied about five times to the same post. Thanks for making this difficult.

so what would be the negative to a 12 in min? overpopulation?

The negative, as I've said about a dozen times, would be that a large number of crappie would die of natural causes without attaining the minimum size limit. You'd essentially be making the crappie on a lot of TN lakes about an 80% catch and release fishery. Most people aren't interested in "Trophy Crappie Management," so that doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
there is no proof it wouldn't work, just a theory.

Actually, last time you brought this subject up, I posted a link to fisheries data that DID show it wouldn't work. You're just ignoring it because it doesn't tell you what you want to hear - that's not the same as "no proof."

Anyway, you're the one wanting to change the status quo and introduce a very restrictive size limit. You have the burden of proof: until you come up with some evidence to refute the fisheries data - other than your own halfassed "belief" that it would work - why should anyone take you seriously?

common sense trumps science just about 100% of the time.

See, this is where your post gets just plain goofy. This doesn't have anything to do with "common sense," this has to do with you ignoring a giant heap of scientific evidence because it doesn't tell you what you want to hear.

That kind of "common sense" gets us things like the OJ Simpson verdict. \:\)

The biologists at TWRA spend HUGE amounts of time and effort, year after year, doing creel surveys, shocking studies, and other sampling methods, all to find out the ideal balance between growth rate, harvest, fishing pressure, etc. I think if you had any clue how much thought and effort goes into fisheries management, you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Quote:
don't believe everything you read in a book or that twra tells you.

Yeah, well don't believe everything some Bubba on the Internet with no clue about fisheries management tells you, either.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (03/30/09 08:33 AM)

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (Hunter0678, edtcase, worldslam09, HDUKE1986, JN, ruger7mag, 13 invisible) and 135 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91483 Topics
1069521 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.