Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1261554 - 03/26/09 08:00 PM Chickamauga Fishing
CrouchPotato
Button

Loc: Hamilton

I relocated here a few years ago with a 16 foot jon boat and a 15 horse Merc in tow from the delta of MS which includes Sardis, Enid, Grenada, Arkabutla, Horeshoe, Reelfoot, Tunica Cutoff, Brandywine. Best decision I ever made for raising a family. Couldn't wait to take my son (9 years old) fishing to try our luck on some of the local Crappie or Bream, just to get a feel for the lake. I am not a bass fisher. I have to say after one, yes one, trip I had to sell the boat. I never have been so scared in my life. The lake was calm, bait was in the bucket, life jackets were strapped, we headed out to what is the island across from Wolftever and Harrison Bay. Bass boats just flied past us, across the fron to us, and behind us. Waves were coming at us in all directions. We took on a little water and made it to the other side and couldn't even fish knowing we had to make it make to Wolftever. I was never so glad to get back to a launching ramp in my life and try to keep some pride in my sons face. Sold the boat and haven't fished the lake since.
#1261561 - 03/26/09 08:06 PM Re: Chickamauga Fishing [Re: CrouchPotato]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

happy Online
Sorry for your bad experience. If I really liked to fish, I wouldn't have sold my boat and gave up fishing. Plenty of water in that area to fish and get away from the crowds.

#1262392 - 03/27/09 07:28 AM Re: Chickamauga Fishing [Re: Rackseeker]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

You were boating in the heaviest traffic area on Chickamauga. Even on weekdays it is heavy. With a metropolitan population of probably around 500,000 within a few miles of that area, the boating traffic is immense. That area is sort of like a Walmart parking lot on weekends.

The further you get up river away from Harrison Bay the lighter the traffic gets. It is almost non-existent on a weekday around Grasshopper boat ramp and on up the Hiwasee.

#1263282 - 03/27/09 03:10 PM Re: Chickamauga Fishing [Re: Kirk]
kdxdude
10 Point

Loc: Cleveland, Tn.

Sounds exxagerated to me. There are plenty of locations to get away from high boat traffic, but even with high boat traffic I have never seen it as bad as you described it. Best of Luck to ya though!!
#1263400 - 03/27/09 03:40 PM Re: Chickamauga Fishing [Re: kdxdude]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: kdxdude
Sounds exxagerated to me. There are plenty of locations to get away from high boat traffic, but even with high boat traffic I have never seen it as bad as you described it. Best of Luck to ya though!!

i can believe it. that's the reason i don't put my boat in ft. loudon on weekends.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1264447 - 03/28/09 10:48 AM Re: Chickamauga Fishing [Re: stik]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I was fishing a TX this past weekend and had to cut through Harrison Bay to get back in to Wolftever. It was around 2:PM and the area probably had 100 boats in it. The big houseboat/cabin cruisers were kicking off waves that looked like they were 3-4 feet high. I had to throttle back to a crawl to keep from going airborne a few times. I can see why a little Jon boat would take on water and feel overwhelmed. I saw two guys in a little Jon Boat out in the Bay area rocking pretty hard when one of the big boats went by.

If you get in this bay in the summer it is a lot worse. Wave Runners, Ski boats, Runabouts, Bass boats, Cabin cruisers, Houseboats, and even Sail boats are everywhere. I made the mistake of running through there on Labor day one year. Won't make that mistake again. \:D

#1264458 - 03/28/09 10:59 AM Re: Chickamauga Fishing [Re: CrouchPotato]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: CrouchPotato
I relocated here a few years ago with a 16 foot jon boat and a 15 horse Merc in tow from the delta of MS which includes Sardis, Enid, Grenada, Arkabutla, Horeshoe, Reelfoot, Tunica Cutoff, Brandywine. Best decision I ever made for raising a family. Couldn't wait to take my son (9 years old) fishing to try our luck on some of the local Crappie or Bream, just to get a feel for the lake. I am not a bass fisher. I have to say after one, yes one, trip I had to sell the boat. I never have been so scared in my life. The lake was calm, bait was in the bucket, life jackets were strapped, we headed out to what is the island across from Wolftever and Harrison Bay. Bass boats just flied past us, across the fron to us, and behind us. Waves were coming at us in all directions. We took on a little water and made it to the other side and couldn't even fish knowing we had to make it make to Wolftever. I was never so glad to get back to a launching ramp in my life and try to keep some pride in my sons face. Sold the boat and haven't fished the lake since.
May have been the "Best decision that you ever made for raising a family", and that obviously is primary. However, you also gave up some of the greatest fishing in the world, which you obviously are aware.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1264462 - 03/28/09 11:04 AM Re: Chickamauga Fishing [Re: CrouchPotato]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: CrouchPotato
May have been the "Best decision that you ever made for raising a family", and that obviously is primary. However, you also gave up some of the greatest fishing in the world, which you obviously are aware.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
119 registered (2in1shot, DennyB, Rebel, Hunting Daddy, drock1, bjohnson, 14 invisible) and 155 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91623 Topics
1070891 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.096 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.