Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1264266 - 03/28/09 07:22 AM Re: Not really fishing alone [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Some years ago I wrote a story titled, "The Front of the Boat". It was a little...well quite a bit about what you just said. It also won a ton of awards. We are never alone, just may not be any humans around. If I can find that story and if it is on a CD so I can download it (my freakin new computer won't accept floopy a's {no remarks}, I'll post it.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1264357 - 03/28/09 08:49 AM Re: Not really fishing alone [Re: bowriter]
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

Thanks and I am glad you all enjoyed the pictures.

Bowriter it would be great if you could post it.

#1264393 - 03/28/09 10:09 AM Re: Not really fishing alone [Re: 8up]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

OUTDOORS WITH John L. Sloan
August 21, 2003
FROM THE FRONT OF THE BOAT.

The freshly budded and slightly leafing willow branch falls just inches short of touching the water. I can see the gap from the front of the boat. Through the Polaroid lenses of my glasses, I can also see the fish finning slowly under the willow branch. I see her from the front of the boat.

The lightweight jerk bait is hard to cast. It will be hard to hit the gap from the front of the boat. Mostly the cast will depend on luck. I lean out and cast sidearm. The silver bait glints in the sun as it flies toward the narrow gap. I watch it from the front of the boat. I see it as the wind riffles the water slightly and sends the bait four inches high. The back hooks hang in the willow branch. I see it from the front of the boat. From the back of the boat comes my partnerís chuckle. That I am alone in the boat makes no difference. The partner is always there.

They are very young. Just starting to turn brown with still plenty of yellow. I count them, six, seven, eight. I guess they are tame ducks from the nearby boat dock. They swim following mama, just past the front of the boat. They should be glad there are no muskies in this lake and theyíd better watch out for big bass. Thatís just what I am doing from the front of the boat.

The sun is starting to top the ridge, not yet high enough to warm us much. I watch it from the front of the boat. The boat shakes and I recognize the feel of a hook being set. My partner is into a good one. The rod bends, silhouetted against the rising sun. I see it from the front of the boat. It is a smallmouth, a good one. My partner admires her, the jerkbait still in her jaw. The sun highlights them both. I see it from the front of the boat.

The hills, some high, some not so high, stretch out from the front of the boat and their reflection in the mirror-flat water provides an identical image. I lean back in the chair and admire the hues, especially the redbuds and the dogwoods. In the watery reflection, they touch the front of the boat.

From the front of the boat, I can see the jump coming. Iím helpless. There is nothing I can do to keep the fish in the water and the four pounds of bronzed smallmouth rocket into the air. From the front of the boat, I see the water droplets frozen in midair. The sun shines through them and they become tiny prisms, split down the middle by the small jig and twister. From the front of the boat, I see it coming, airborne and free of the smallmouthís jaw. I know it wonít hit me but from the front of the boat, I canít be sure so I duck anyway. It plunks into the clear water and begins to sink. I watch it from the front of the boat. Silent laughter shakes the boat. It is coming from my partner in the back.

Somewhere on a ridge behind the hollow, a gobbler sounds off. I canít be sure of exactly where he is. I sit quietly in the front of the boat and listen. He does not repeat his challenge but the murder of crows that brought it on are having a ball. I can hear them causing a ruckus; probably they found an owl to torment. Crows remind me a little of young kids on a playground. I hit the trolling motor and watch for large, submerged rocks. I can see them from the front of the boat.

She comes first, the young doe. Behind her is the older doe. I can see them from the front of the boat. They are not coming to drink from the lake, just taking a look. Maybe theyíll browse a little on the new green growth along the shore. I hope they stay a while. Just up the bank are two raccoons. They are heading home from a night of pure raccoonery. They are not in so big a hurry they canít stop to preen and look at their reflections in the water-mirror. They also have time to play a little with a loose stone. I see them from the front of the boat.

It has been a nice morning sitting in the front of the boat. I saw a lot. I would have liked to catch a couple bass, as my partner did. But then, he didnít see all the things I saw. My partner is blind.

This afternoon just before sundown, Iíll be in the front of the boat again, casting and describing what I see. There is a lot to see from the front of the boat.

In memory of Russell Jackson.
###
CUTLINES:
#1-Russell Jackson battles a smallmouth, silhouetted against the rising sun.
#2- My partner admires his fish, highlighted by the sun

BTW- This one is also under copyright.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1265179 - 03/28/09 07:16 PM Re: Not really fishing alone [Re: bowriter]
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it.

#1265196 - 03/28/09 07:26 PM Re: Not really fishing alone [Re: 8up]
kdxdude
10 Point

Loc: Cleveland, Tn.

Thanks for sharing 8up & Bowriter. Those were great! \:\)
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (devo1980, hunter drew, LIL JOKER, Jcalder, beachguy, paincave_2000, 1 invisible) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88080 Topics
1031770 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.258 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.