Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1255674 - 03/23/09 11:06 PM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: Tubakka]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Bull Sharks in the Mississippi river is logical, since they do just fine in fresh water, and since the one at St.Louis was documented by the state. Hmm, someone eplain to me how or why one would come up an ice water river and manage a large and high concrete dam with no locks, etc. What, do they swim up the outlet tubes? Maybe they acquired a taste for lake trout. Yeah, that's what happened to the lakers.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1256034 - 03/24/09 09:38 AM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: 4onaside]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I remember a bull shark being caught or found dead in a lake in Alabama. Someone obviously released it. Bull sharks can live in fresh water for some amount of time which I have no idea what it is but they are also known for going up rivers in Africa and India as well as the mississippi river. I beleive there is a lake in Africa that boasts having freshwater sharks which I think are bull sharks that have acclimated to the fresh water.

That all being said, I think someone could release one in one of our lakes and it might be able to survive for a little while.

Were there any northern pike released in Dale Hollow or Norris? I remember as a kid where there was some talk.

#1256101 - 03/24/09 09:49 AM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: JimFromTN]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

they put muskie or pike in norris at 1 time,i never caught 1 but seen where somebody cleaned 1 at the boat launch at bigridge back in the late 80's or early 90's, the head & body was there minus the fillets,mike243

#1256267 - 03/24/09 11:44 AM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: JimFromTN]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Dale Hollow has got muskie. Don't know about Norris. Also don't know about northerns anywhere.

bd

#1256628 - 03/24/09 05:34 PM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: mike243]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: mike243
they put muskie or pike in norris at 1 time,i never caught 1 but seen where somebody cleaned 1 at the boat launch at bigridge back in the late 80's or early 90's, the head & body was there minus the fillets,mike243

there is a 42 lb musky hanging in one of the marinas on norris that was caught in the 80's.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1257636 - 03/25/09 08:38 AM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: Nhill]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I've heard lots of people say there are still repopulating muskies in Norris. Big lake, could easily hide a small self sustaining. If I'm not mistaken the current state record [although larger ones have been taken since, I'm sure, just not reported] came from Norris Lake, and I think that it, even at that size, there was no possible way it could've been from the original stocking. These fish have a way though of finding themselves in the unlikliest of places.

Bull sharks can live INDEFINITELY in freshwater. Lake Nicaragua is known for its land locked population of bull sharks, once thought a separate species until further scrutinized. The bull sharks down here in FL are pretty mean.

#1257763 - 03/25/09 09:59 AM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: Tubakka]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Very possible to catch sharks in fresh water. Been a ton of documented cases. One caught near St. Louis just a few years ago. You might recall, St. Louis is a quite a ways from salt water. Sharks can live very well in fresh water.

RE Muskies; Doc Reagan caught a ton of them out of Dale back in the 70's and 80's. He must have a dozen hanging on the wall of his store.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1257885 - 03/25/09 10:23 AM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: bowriter]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Very possible to catch sharks in fresh water. Been a ton of documented cases. One caught near St. Louis just a few years ago. You might recall, St. Louis is a quite a ways from salt water. Sharks can live very well in fresh water.

RE Muskies; Doc Reagan caught a ton of them out of Dale back in the 70's and 80's. He must have a dozen hanging on the wall of his store.
Yeah, but to my knowledge, all of the freshwater bull shark habitats have one thing in common that does not exist at Norris or any other similar "cold water" lake, an unimpeded route to and from the ocean, as in the Mississippi River or Lake Nicaragua.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1258036 - 03/25/09 12:14 PM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
The bull sharks down here in FL are pretty mean.

Finally, something we can agree on! \:\)

I was snook fishing at Fort Meyers Beach a couple years back and a 7 footer blasted out of a channel and grabbed a big snook from right in front of me. I re-evaluated the wisdom of wade fishing in the surf after that.

bd

#1260429 - 03/26/09 09:21 AM Re: Lake Trout in Norris Lake [Re: 4onaside]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

HA! Down at Sebastien Inlet, BD, I hear people talk all the time about bulls and the occasional tigers, and jewfish, taking trophy snook and reds off the hook. My buddy Rodney has had the heads of 150 pound tarpon come up down there on his line. Strike, run, PURE VIOLENT HEAD THROWS, slack....I hope to do that. I'm going for tarpon off the beach in a week or so at Smyrna. Apparently they get 100 plus pounders off the beach, and the tackle I've got is more than enough for a 50" red, but this will give it a test. Bd, you come down here often? We oughtta hook up. I know a guy who has the inlet game down. His biggest snook out of sebastien was right at 50". All artificials. His biggest red that I've seen was 63". I didn't even nkow they got that big. Even if I move back to TN for a time [musicians getting laid off like crazy, both my managers as of yesterday, gone in the past 2 months...] I intend to come back often.

OH, for you nutso fly guys looking for something different...Hey bd, come down with your gheenoe and let's go after these clown knife fish in the Osborne-Ida chain. Exotic that took to the lake from teh aquarium trade. Apparently I they like live threadfins and little rapalas, but I don't think they've been pursued on fly yet. Not a whole lot of them in there, but just enough to target. They apparently fight like they're possessed with legion and get up to 15 pounds. Also...bowfin man. They get big here. Fun fun fish.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (BamaProud, paincave_2000, Nealmeally, Webfeet15, double browtine, backwoods7) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89105 Topics
1042145 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.218 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.