Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1240970 - 03/16/09 04:16 PM Re: Guiding hunts [Re: BV]
TN Deer Slayer
10 Point

Loc: Morgan County TN

Originally Posted By: BV
Be careful roosting also, the gobblers that gobble at dusk aren't the only gobblers in the woods. I've busted more than a few toms while I was trying to sneak in on my "roosted" bird.

happens alot but its part of the risk you take. But like they say "roosted is roasted". \:D \:D \:D

#1241437 - 03/16/09 05:36 PM Re: Guiding hunts [Re: ]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Depends on how much land you hunt ,too. I used to be on a lease that was 2000 acres so it did help to know where they roosted but I agree that it is more important knowing their patterns after they fly down. Or should I say hoping they will follow a pattern you think you know. \:D
I hunt 130 acres now and pretty much can predict what is going to happen.
I'm sure this will rattle some feathers but I shot one of my better birds about 3 hours before sunset sitting at the base of his roost tree.

#1241629 - 03/16/09 07:12 PM Re: Guiding hunts [Re: go_okfishin]
Cuttin Caller Moderator
Blister
Non-Typical

Loc: tn

I could not begin to guess how much land it is. I think its a lot for one person to cover to try to get an idea on where the birds roost. Plus in the past its been so many different flocks on there that you really don't know a pattern.
Plus its been my experience that patterning a turkey is much more difficult than deer. Of course I may not have as much experience in killing a long beard but I am sure I have much more experience in getting burnt by them than anything else.

The land is broken up I have only hunted the larger part of the place where as my son has hunted across the road where a good bit of them roost. However he has never killed over there. I think its because there is not much cover going into that part and they may see him enter before he gets a location on the roosting birds.
Just now I drove by there on the way home from work and saw only one loner long beard hustling across the road just for the fun of it I stopped as he was just watching and I honk the horn he stretched his neck out and let out a dam good gobble at me only maybe 30 yards away. lmao
I had to fight with myself not to sit there and do it again.
I looked back at my cousin house and him and my uncle where standing there watching. My uncle had his hands in his pockets so I threw up my hand to wave and my uncle pulled his hand out and pointed at the bird i looked and he was in full strut.
God he was beautiful!
I just shook my head and drove off.

#1241814 - 03/16/09 08:27 PM Re: Guiding hunts [Re: Cuttin Caller]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Get a good pair of binoculars and glass all the trees you can while the leaves are absent. Do it at sunrise and right around sunset.

#1241820 - 03/16/09 08:30 PM Re: Guiding hunts [Re: TN Deer Slayer]
BV
4 Point

Loc: Maury Co. TN

Originally Posted By: TN Deer Slayer
 Originally Posted By: BV
Be careful roosting also, the gobblers that gobble at dusk aren't the only gobblers in the woods. I've busted more than a few toms while I was trying to sneak in on my "roosted" bird.

happens alot but its part of the risk you take. But like they say "roosted is roasted". \:D \:D \:D

Yep, I would still rather be sitting tight on him come daylight as opposed to 150 yards away. Sometimes however, it doesn't work in my favor. Lots of times however, it did.

Edited by BV (03/16/09 08:30 PM)
Dont't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.- John Eldredge from the book Wild at Heart

#1242648 - 03/17/09 08:42 AM Re: Guiding hunts [Re: BV]
Mathews Hunter
12 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tennessee

I have killed turkeys both ways. I don't do the roosting thing anymore. 90% of the time when a tom flies down off the roost he is already hened up anyway. I changed my strategy a few years ago. I don't go hunting now until about lunch time. Toms seem to be more responsive from mid day through the afternoon. I have had toms literally charging me after a little calling during this time. Don't get me wrong, I will still hunt some mornings just to mix it up. Anyway, just my two cents.

#1245330 - 03/18/09 03:04 PM Re: Guiding hunts [Re: Mathews Hunter]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Roosted ain't roasted.
Just turn 'em loose and try to keep up. \:D

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Prowler, dungonehunting, uofmrebel, sll, 1shot 1kill
13219 Registered Users
Who's Online
33 registered (jameseboy, Yotehntr, MsuFinProf, junebugwapiti, Stumpy, Rubberduck270, 5 invisible) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13219 Members
42 Forums
91876 Topics
1073683 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.11 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.