Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1234148 - 03/13/09 09:27 AM Re: Canada? [Re: gil1]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Canada North lodge.

We caught walleye and northern pike until it almost got boring.
We did a portage to a different lake and caught a bunch of fat smallmouth.

Season was wrong for lake trout but my nephew caught one anyway.

Great food. Nice accomodations. Guides were excellent. When you pick guides, skip the hotshots and go with one of the older guys like Andy. Dude knows how and where to fish.

As a bonus we saw moose and black bear plus a couple huge white tails on the drive in from the airport.

#1234190 - 03/13/09 09:38 AM Re: Canada? [Re: Taylor]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Portages are "fun" for sure. I cannot reference an outfitter, we have always done everything ourself. The strictly canoe trips we make, you have to prepare for and be careful. You are in the "bush" and help can be either a long way away or a long time. When you spend 9 or 10 days in a canoe and all you have is in the canoe it takes planning.

I am thinking about going to the Quetico, possibly by myself, if I go that route, I will go with Canoe Canada. It will be my first with an outfitter and from what I understand all I have to carry are my personals and fishing gear and they supply canoe, tents, etc. I have all the gear but going by myself it will be nice just to show up have it ready, load my gear and take off. Well, not completely that simple, but close.

#1234389 - 03/13/09 11:41 AM Re: Canada? [Re: Taylor]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

Originally Posted By: Taylor
Great experience as far as numbers and solitude in (Oh) Canada, eh.

A painful, ugly word I discovered while fishing Canada?

Portage.

"Well, you see you will have to portage from this lake, to this lake," the outfitter told me.

"Say what? Back home we rednecks have a word for that to, I think. It's when your buddy is backing the boat trailer down the ramp and you say, 'moan back, moan back.'"

LOL!

LCA, send me a PM and I will send you the number of a friend that has been many times and claims to have had a blast. He can reference you a top-notch outfitter, if interested.

Was the portage on Feather, Clearwater, or Quill lake by chance?

#1234391 - 03/13/09 11:43 AM Re: Canada? [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

The Walleye on Quill lake is unreal, as well as Kiskitina(SP). A freind of mine has caught many Walleyes over 10 lbs. at Clearwater Lodge.

#1234436 - 03/13/09 12:15 PM Re: Canada? [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

My dad and a buddy of his canoed and portaged all the way in to Kiskatina(sp?) and said it was full of smallmouth but they were in the 1 to 1-1/2 lbs range.

#1234442 - 03/13/09 12:20 PM Re: Canada? [Re: Taylor]
A.K.A.
10 Point

Loc: East TN

Good luck!

#1234610 - 03/13/09 01:41 PM Re: Canada? [Re: Headhunter]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
My dad and a buddy of his canoed and portaged all the way in to Kiskatina(sp?) and said it was full of smallmouth but they were in the 1 to 1-1/2 lbs range.

yep, but did you Muskie fish there??? Huge Muskie!

#1234679 - 03/13/09 02:21 PM Re: Canada? [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

If I wanted to catch good numbers of nice smallies , I'd head for Lake Erie.

#1234683 - 03/13/09 02:24 PM Re: Canada? [Re: gil1]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: gil1
I've been to the boundary waters twice about 20 years ago. Yeah, we had slow days and great days. We caught a ton of small smallies, but we caught some lunkers, too. We were fishing leaches at a walleye spot to get some supper, and my buddy foul-hooked the biggest smallie I've ever seen. We had no scales, but we all thought it went over 7 pounds. Of course, none of us knew what the heck we were talking about, so I can't be sure. \:D

The best thing, though, was that we never saw a soul in many miles for the week we were there (twice). No motors, no noises, just fishing all day out of a canoe. Man, those black flies beat the crud out of us though. What fond memories!

The big winner was the Charlie Brewer slider. All the Canadiens laughed at it and said it would never work. It wore them out!

I'm dying to go back. I wonder if it is as isolated as it was back then. I guarantee those fish had never seen a lure.

Fishing the boundary waters in Minnesota is a dream fishing trip I have always wanted to take. I have been to Canada on a fly-in fishing and it was fun , but canoeing into an isolated lake has a special appeal to me.

#1234713 - 03/13/09 02:57 PM Re: Canada? [Re: Radar]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Scott61
 Originally Posted By: gil1
I've been to the boundary waters twice about 20 years ago. Yeah, we had slow days and great days. We caught a ton of small smallies, but we caught some lunkers, too. We were fishing leaches at a walleye spot to get some supper, and my buddy foul-hooked the biggest smallie I've ever seen. We had no scales, but we all thought it went over 7 pounds. Of course, none of us knew what the heck we were talking about, so I can't be sure. \:D

The best thing, though, was that we never saw a soul in many miles for the week we were there (twice). No motors, no noises, just fishing all day out of a canoe. Man, those black flies beat the crud out of us though. What fond memories!

The big winner was the Charlie Brewer slider. All the Canadiens laughed at it and said it would never work. It wore them out!

I'm dying to go back. I wonder if it is as isolated as it was back then. I guarantee those fish had never seen a lure.

Fishing the boundary waters in Minnesota is a dream fishing trip I have always wanted to take. I have been to Canada on a fly-in fishing and it was fun , but canoeing into an isolated lake has a special appeal to me.

We cheated a little bit, and it was worth it. I THINK the deal is this - you can have motors on the U.S. side but not on the Canadian side of the Boundary Waters. Our outfitter out of Ely Minnesota had a deal where they would carry all your canoes and tents and gear and such through the US waters on a big boat (for a price), and then they let you off at the Canadian boundary.

You then paddled the rest of the way to wherever you wanted to go. You were out of those US motorized and more heavily fished waters and into the wilderness. We'd camp on islands and then go out and fish in the canoes all day. Like I said, we never saw a soul in those two weeks.

While paddling from one place to the next, we would troll big spinnerbaits and catch pike. If it was deep, we'd troll diving crankbaits for lake trout. We'd catch and release smallies all day when not trolling, and then we'd go catch a mess of walleye as the sun set for supper. I'll see if I can find those pics.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1, Hunter111, THEdonkey0515
13083 Registered Users
Who's Online
61 registered (Model 1, cdw338, leader, ImThere, Tennessee Lead, THEdonkey0515, 10 invisible) and 122 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13083 Members
42 Forums
88204 Topics
1033219 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.278 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.