Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1233854 - 03/13/09 05:54 AM Re: Canada? [Re: 8up]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Class VI River Runner in W. VA is some of the best smallie fishing in the world. It is white water rafting on the New River and 100 a day is not unusual. Located near Beckley WV.

In Canada, got to take a look at Great Northern Lodge in New Brunswick. Bruce Hanley has some superb smallmouth fishing right in his backyard. Also have to consider the Rainey Lake region of Ontario.

Given the choice, I'd go with Class VI and I'd wait until late May or June to go.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1233866 - 03/13/09 06:16 AM Re: Canada? [Re: 8up]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: 8up
From East Tennessee fishing forum says it weighed 8lbs 10 ozs on 2 different scales from South Holston

that is a PIG!!! i lost a fish about that size off my parents' dock on ft. loudon several years ago.

#1233899 - 03/13/09 07:01 AM Re: Canada? [Re: hunter drew]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

Originally Posted By: hunter drew
 Originally Posted By: stik
there is no way i would go to canada for smallmouths when we have the best smallmouth fishing in the world right here in tennessee.

Thats what i was thinking

That is not the truth. Have you ever boating 100 smallmouth by dinner time? That was a fairly common occurance the three times I went with two people in the boat on top water. The place I went has swapped hands, so I don't know how it is ran now. It is Clearwater Lodge in Emo, Ontario.

#1233921 - 03/13/09 07:21 AM Re: Canada? [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Originally Posted By: Hillbilly Hunter
 Originally Posted By: hunter drew
 Originally Posted By: stik
there is no way i would go to canada for smallmouths when we have the best smallmouth fishing in the world right here in tennessee.

Thats what i was thinking

That is not the truth. Have you ever boating 100 smallmouth by dinner time? That was a fairly common occurance the three times I went with two people in the boat on top water. The place I went has swapped hands, so I don't know how it is ran now. It is Clearwater Lodge in Emo, Ontario.

more than a few times. i have had days on the obed where you catch a fish on EVERY cast.

#1234016 - 03/13/09 08:12 AM Re: Canada? [Re: stik]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Well, I have spent many days in Ontario. The best smallmouth fishing in Tennessee is about even with Canada, maybe. If you have never been you cannot say either way. At Labelle's in a fall tournment he had on Rainy, about 200 boats, if you did not average 4 lbs per fish you did not get in the money and over a 5 lbs average won it. Hard to beat that.

The only thing that Tennessee has that Canada does not realistically have is the possibility of catching a smallmouth 6 or 7 lbs or above. For smallmouth up to 5 lbs Canada is hard to beat. I have sat over schools of smallmouth in the Manitou river that looked like 400 to 500 fish in a school that were suspended and all of them we thought were 4 lbs or better, of course being suspended we couldn't get them to hit until I caught some live crawfish, they were 4 to 5 lbs each. One morning I woke up earlier than anyone else and I had 5 smallmouth that weighed over 4-1/2 lbs each, all on a buzzbait.

Something a little different, one morning while camped on Loonhaunt lake, we woke up and there was an Eagle on the point about 60 yards away eating a pike. We watched him til he was done, one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Last trip was on Rainy Lake. Average smallmouth was over 3 lbs each. I got to fish in Stonedam lake a couple of days the year we canoed the pipestone lake chain and did not hardly catch a brown fish under 4.

Almost forgot, the MAIN part of the trip that Tennessee will never have, we almost never see anyone when we are fishing up there. We generally go late June, early July and it is just awesome to wake up and go fish and there is no one else on the lake or the area of the lake you are on. Rainy lake has over 1500 islands and is close to 1,000,000 acres. We see bears, eagles, beavers, pelicans (they are cool to watch fly) a moose occasionally (you won't see that in Tennessee), catch Northern Pike whether we want to or not. In Horseshoe bay and the back of Ash bay on Rainy (we generally avoid Pike like a disease) I got my dad and brother to chase some pike, we ran spinnerbaits just under the surface, I have never seen so many toilets flush, that is what it looked like was super large flush, the water would almost whirlpool, it was cool.

I agree about the greatness of Tennessee fishing but don't put Canada smallmouth fishing down, especially if you never tried it. It is far from a necessity, but for me if I had the money I would ask the Queen how much for an island on Rainy lake and I would spend most of my summers there. The beauty and the solitude is in a different world from fishing here.

#1234025 - 03/13/09 08:18 AM Re: Canada? [Re: Headhunter]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

headhunter,
i was not putting down canadian smallmouth fishing at all and am sorry if it seemed that way. it's just that if i am going to go that far to fish, it will be for something i cannot catch at home.

#1234085 - 03/13/09 08:59 AM Re: Canada? [Re: Lincoln Co Archer]
Headhunter
10 Point

Thought this article was interesting though, Dale told me that in the fall the smallmouth will school up over humps and if you can find them, you catch one, do not put the fish in the boat until your partner hooks up and then he fights his until you get back in the water and hook up again. Whatever size fish your are catching is the about the size of all the fish you will catch from that hump. He said he had caught as many as 70 off of one hump.

Fall Bass Classic dropped
By admin
Wednesday, 28 January 2009 - 3:26pm. Sports

By Mitch Calvert Staff writer
One of the district’s popular fall fishing tournaments will not be a go this year.
Dale LaBelle, owner of LaBelle’s Birch Point Camp on Northwest Bay, said he no longer will be hosting the annual “Fall Bass Classic,” citing negative publicity associated with late fall tournaments.

“There’s just been a lot of bad publicity out there about fall tournaments in the newspapers and magazines,” LaBelle remarked, noting evidence has suggested a high mortality rate among tournament bass caught late in the year after they are reeled up from the deeper depths.
“We’ve always had enough anglers, getting teams isn’t the problem and the fishermen were great, but another thing was trying to work our customers around the tournament,” LaBelle added.
“We got a lot of fall crappie and bass fishermen that come out here, so we can’t really justify taking away cabin space [for the tournament].”
LaBelle said having the tournament so late in the year added other headaches to the already big undertaking involved with hosting such an event.
“It’s so much work, and it’s hard to get sponsors. Everyone is sponsored out by then,” he reasoned.
“It’s disappointing because it was good for the area and we had families fish together in it,” LaBelle lamented. “And since we decided to cancel it, we’ve had 15 people call and ask, but we just felt there’s other things we can do for a couple years and we’ll see after that.”
Another problem that arose last year was a scheduling conflict with the annual Rainy River Walleye Tournament as both ended up being on the same weekend.
“Rainy River changed their dates and we ended up on the same day,” LaBelle noted. “I used to fish in Rainy River all the time, even won it one year, and I’d like to go back and fish it but obviously couldn’t leave my own tournament to do that.”
LaBelle said the prospect of holding the tournament earlier in the year was never really an option, either.
“There’s so many tournaments in the summer already, and the economy isn’t very good right now,” he said.

Edited by Headhunter (03/13/09 09:03 AM)

#1234095 - 03/13/09 09:06 AM Re: Canada? [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

No problem stik, a funny thing though, the Dale mentioned above also told me that he fished a tournament on Lake Erie for smallmouth once and he asked his friend who invited him to the tournament, what is with all the boats? This way too crowded. Lake Erie is huge, he said the guy what do you mean, no one is real close? Dale said he told him if someone gets closer than a mile, they are crowding him. It is nice in Canada because you do not have to worry about being run over or fishing behind everybody else among other things.

#1234129 - 03/13/09 09:22 AM Re: Canada? [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Class VI River Runner in W. VA is some of the best smallie fishing in the world. It is white water rafting on the New River and 100 a day is not unusual. Located near Beckley WV.

Hijack - I had a pretty good day with class VI many years ago. I got the old "you should have been here yesterday" which happens to me everywhere. The next day, we did the whitewater rafting/camping deal on the New. Had a ball. Very professional.

At first glance, the hugeness of the river scared the shyt out of me. I'll never forget our sarcastic guide. Worried to death, I asked him how long he had been a raft guide. Without skipping a beat, he said, "this Friday will be one week." Real funny! \:D

There was a dude in a kayak that would paddle ahead of the rafts to film us bouncing down the rapids (to sell us the video later). At lunch, I borrowed his kayak to play around in the run. It was too technical for my experience, so I staid out of the hole below the rapids.

I later found out that there was a kayaker still in that same hole bouncing around just waiting to be spit out. He had bailed out and died that morning and hadn't resurfaced. That was my last time in a kayak. Sold it and bought my first fly rod. Best thing I ever did.

The New makes the Ocoee look like the Harpeth River. It is breathtaking. In more than one way...

Resume Canada stories... \:\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1234141 - 03/13/09 09:26 AM Re: Canada? [Re: gil1]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Loc: Brownsville, Tennessee

Great experience as far as numbers and solitude in (Oh) Canada, eh.

A painful, ugly word I discovered while fishing Canada?

Portage.

"Well, you see you will have to portage from this lake, to this lake," the outfitter told me.

"Say what? Back home we rednecks have a word for that to, I think. It's when your buddy is backing the boat trailer down the ramp and you say, 'moan back, moan back.'"

LOL!

LCA, send me a PM and I will send you the number of a friend that has been many times and claims to have had a blast. He can reference you a top-notch outfitter, if interested.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (trevor2010, gun nut, bigbuck2012, rem270) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.