Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1226182 - 03/09/09 05:56 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: TeamMainStreet]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

I have a friend that was driving down the road. A gobbler decided to fly across the road at the same time. Bird hit his windshield as he was applying his brakes.He went back and picked up his "Road Kill" bird.He drove alittle farther down the road and the bird came to life in the back seat of his Mustang.He very quickly pulled over and jumped out of the car. The gobbler also exited the car.He almost got that one.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#1229866 - 03/11/09 08:31 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

No NEW "almost" stories?

#1229927 - 03/11/09 08:47 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
RussellvilleRob
8 Point

Loc: Russellville

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
No NEW "almost" stories?

I can tell alot more about deer. It seems that every year I have atleast a couple of them..

#1229947 - 03/11/09 08:52 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
CopperHead77
12 Point

Loc: Hickman Co.

I've got so many

We all know how hard field birds can be,well had this one bird that would pitch down out in the middle of a cow pasture with his hens every morning,and would hardly ever move to the edges near the woodline soooooooo..I used cows,I let a group of about 7 or 8 cows get in between the tom and me and slowly pushed them towards the birds. I cut the distance to about 40 yards and that's when the cows broke up and went to my stomach,when I did I lost sight of the birds,after a short wait they luckily headed my way and they filed by me one by one,knowing the tom would be last I got ready and at ten yards he strolls by me...bang!! bird flies away..I got too tore up I guess.

#1229975 - 03/11/09 09:11 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: CopperHead77]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Whitetail Junkie
I've got so many

Let's hear 'em. Nothing like experience gained by listening to other peoples almost experiences....

I'm sure I will have more in time.... but I'm still kind of new to the game!!

#1230040 - 03/11/09 09:46 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
BV
4 Point

Loc: Maury Co. TN

Here's another:

On Easter Sunday several years back I was driving back from church when I passed one of my new hunting spots at the time. It's all wooded ridges with big hollers on each side of it and this day it looked very inviting with all the green leaves and warm temps we were having. I told myself," I'm going home, getting changed, and going hunting."
When I first got up on top of the ridge I blew my crow call to fire up a tom. Nothing. I stood waiting awhile and finally got a tom to answer me WAY down this long ridge I was on. I took off heading down the ridge to cut the distance in half. When I got what I thought to be a hundred yards away I stopped and hit the crow call again. GOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLEEEE. He was just out of sight, less than 100 yards! I sat next to a big white oak in the middle of the ridge, pointed my gunbarrell down the ridge, and let out a series of yelps. He double gobbled. I cut at him. He double gobbled again. I scratched the leaves, he double gobbled again. He was comming in on a string. I looked up and saw TWO snowball white heads comming down the ridge right at me. 60 yards away. 55 yards.50.45. at about 45 yards they fell off the side of the ridge and were walking closer, however I could just see both of their heads bobbing. When they were at about ten yards, I could see two periscope heads sticking up and looking over at me trying to find the hen they had heard. I had the saftey off, the bead on one of the heads, and my finger on the trigger. All of a sudden, the other one Gobbles so loud I almost jumped and I shot at the same time
( I guess without my cheek on the stock). And they took off flying down the opposite hollow. I was so close. It was several years ago and I still remember the feeling I felt that very night lying awake in my bed being so mad I couldn't sleep.

I killed another gobbler about two weeks later and you can believe it, I had my cheek on the stock that time. \:D
Dont't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.- John Eldredge from the book Wild at Heart

#1230165 - 03/11/09 10:57 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: BV]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

NOTHING in the world like having a big tom gobble and him being right on top of you!!! It's a sound I will never forget and one that gives me goosebumps when I hear it in the woods!!

#1230218 - 03/11/09 11:34 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: TeamMainStreet]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

I can't remember if it was last year or the year before but my neighbor had been seeing turkeys behind his house and we have permission to hunt back there. It's only 5 acres or so. Anyway one afternoon after the opening weekend we went back there and got one gobbling. He had left his gun at his dads where he hunts most of the time so I gave him mine and said I'd do the calling. Told him we were good out to 50 yards. We set up on an overgrown field that has a road cut around it facing the way we thought the turkey would come but he had other plans and started circling the other way. I leaned back into some thick stuff so my buddy could turn around and be able to shoot. All of a sudden I could see the turkey through the thick stuff but couldn't gauge how far he was. My buddy thought it was too far so he didn't shoot. Finally the turkey turned around and walked off. I pulled my range finder out and ranged a cedar tree beside where he came out and it said 49 yards. We never did kill that turkey.

#1230254 - 03/11/09 11:51 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: Gravey]
BV
4 Point

Loc: Maury Co. TN

Originally Posted By: Gravey
My buddy thought it was too far so he didn't shoot. Finally the turkey turned around and walked off. I pulled my range finder out and ranged a cedar tree beside where he came out and it said 49 yards. We never did kill that turkey.

I did this a couple of years ago. I had missed a bird earlier in the season for being to far away, so when I got on this other bird and he came in and hung up, I thought it was too far away. Turns out, it was only 40 yards away!!! I was ticked!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ya, I missed the turkey the next day.......because he was at 50 \:D Its hard to judge the distance in a field!
Dont't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.- John Eldredge from the book Wild at Heart

#1230310 - 03/11/09 12:42 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: BV]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

here is another good one.....

During turkey season i usually keep my JUST IN CASE stuff in the truck. One afternoon on the way home from work I decided to drive by a small wooded area down the street from my house to check it out. It is only about 20acres but has a nice field joining it you can see from the road. Sure enough there were 2 LB's out in the field so i pulled up so they could not see me from the road and jump out and got dressed....well i noticed i didnt have any boots so i just threw on my 3-d clothes and wore my crocs. I hauled booty to the back edge of the property to set up on a rock fence were the birds usually cross to roost.

well luck would have it the birds were already almost there when i got close so i had to just crawl as far as i could to get to the spot. I got about 60yds out and that was all i could go so i leaned up against a tree and decided to just try and call one a bit closer...well luck would have it i forgot to grab my calls from the truck. SOOOO the birds are 60yds out and gobbling and i decided to just try to do it with my mouth...they would gobble everytime i did but just would not cross the rock wall i wanted to be at!!! did this for about 30mins and they finally just left.

man if i would have been able to get to the wall where i KNEW they would be at i would have killed that bird easily

John 3:16

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (backwoods7, Bassman1971, BamaProud, F250, levergunner, stik, 3 invisible) and 41 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91719 Topics
1071923 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.101 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.