Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1228237 - 03/10/09 12:13 PM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: PrettyInPinkCamo]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I would also recommend having someone who is an experienced archer watch your form and check your bow setup to help you get started the right way .
It's hard to solve these issues on a forum without seeing you shoot or your bow setup . There are too many variables .

#1228966 - 03/10/09 07:56 PM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: Radar]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

Try closing the left eye and see what happens.
When you take a picture with a camera which eye do you hold it up to?

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#1229562 - 03/10/09 11:50 PM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: Bowdacious]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

Try this. Have Dave stand about 10 yards away. Face each other. With both eyes open reach out and point to his nose. As soon as your finger covers his nose in your vision, put your hand back down. Do this three times. Ask him which eye your finger lined up with from his perspective.

Another way is to point at a target (smaller is better) 10 yards away. As soon as you finger covers the target freeze. Close one eye then the other. The eye that is pointing the finger will be your dominant eye.

Edited by Hoss (03/10/09 11:52 PM)

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#1229738 - 03/11/09 07:24 AM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: ]
PrettyInPinkCamo
Spike

Loc: Southaven, MS

That is exactly what I did yesterday and worked great, not as much to the left as it had been, but still a little.. I can shoot in a grouping about the size of an apple.. but still to the left. Just gonna move the site and see what happens. When I figure this out I am going to have one hell of a shot.. show the bf up a bit!

Women get the last word in every argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

#1229788 - 03/11/09 07:46 AM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: PrettyInPinkCamo]
CoastieHunter
4 Point

<----- DAVE

I am gradually remembering everything I learned as a kid. It all still applies and for the majority I think it's a combonation of issues.
1. Trigger squeeze
2. Grip

Her followthrough is perfect. Her stance is great. And she's one hell of a shooter for only putting about a hundered arrows in flight.

It could be her actual vision because she's like I am. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. BUT I can't shoot right handed. SO... I deal with it.

I shot her bow and everything was dead center.

With practice she's getting WAY WAY better though and I'm pretty [censored] impressed.

One thing I noticed from when I was younger is the set up is typically 20-30-40 for pins. (on my bow) I kept shooting high on EVERYTHING. (Had our bows pre-tuned before shipment). But now I'm dead on. Even got my first robinhood after about 5 arrows!

#1230588 - 03/11/09 03:47 PM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: CoastieHunter]
pjridge
8 Point

Loc: PC

As Scott said, lots of variables to consider over the net. If it is hand torque you can tuck your bottom two fingers inside your palm when you grip. With a relaxed grip this will lesson the tenancy to torque or grab the grip at release. If you are shooting good groups but just not on target your are doing something consistently which is usually easy to diagnose. Good luck.

#1231622 - 03/12/09 02:35 AM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: pjridge]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

PnP Do you have a wrist sling? If not I recommend one. They are not expensive or you can make one from a length of rope. Attach it to the base of your stabilizer or to the riser just below the grip. adjust it so it is just starting to snug on your wrist at full draw. You don't want it so tight that it pulls on your hand because that will be a source of torque.

Then learn to shoot with a relaxed bow hand. The fingers should be loose and flexible. The finger tips will naturally wrap around the grip toward you thumb. Just let this happen don't make it happen and don't prevent it from happening. The pressure from the bow grip will flex the tendons in your fingers and make it happen. Upon release DO NOT grab the bow. Let the wrist sling catch the bow. Grabbing the bow is the most common type of torque and a major blockage for accuaracy.

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#1231842 - 03/12/09 07:39 AM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: Hoss]
PrettyInPinkCamo
Spike

Originally Posted By: Hoss
PnP Do you have a wrist sling? If not I recommend one. They are not expensive or you can make one from a length of rope. Attach it to the base of your stabilizer or to the riser just below the grip. adjust it so it is just starting to snug on your wrist at full draw. You don't want it so tight that it pulls on your hand because that will be a source of torque.

Then learn to shoot with a relaxed bow hand. The fingers should be loose and flexible. The finger tips will naturally wrap around the grip toward you thumb. Just let this happen don't make it happen and don't prevent it from happening. The pressure from the bow grip will flex the tendons in your fingers and make it happen. Upon release DO NOT grab the bow. Let the wrist sling catch the bow. Grabbing the bow is the most common type of torque and a major blockage for accuaracy.

I do, but it may be too loose, I have been meaning to shorten it a bit. Finally shooting on target.. after trying everything we could think of, we went to the local archery range and just played with the sites until i was shooting on target. After all of that I was putting a good grouping in the center with a few strays here and there and thats all me. I am pretty happy with the progress considering I am only three weeks in of ever picking up a bow. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

Women get the last word in every argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

#1231897 - 03/12/09 08:19 AM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: PrettyInPinkCamo]
CoastieHunter
4 Point

Originally Posted By: PrettyInPinkCamo
 Originally Posted By: Hoss

I do, but it may be too loose, I have been meaning to shorten it a bit. Finally shooting on target.. after trying everything we could think of, we went to the local archery range and just played with the sites until i was shooting on target. After all of that I was putting a good grouping in the center with a few strays here and there and thats all me. I am pretty happy with the progress considering I am only three weeks in of ever picking up a bow. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

She actually scares me with how good she shoots. She'll take down any animal that walks in her path for sure!
That's what I love about local archery shops. The old timers really know EVERYTHING about bows.

NOTE: A kid shooting there last night had an issue with his release hand. He was shooting with his mouth! And everything was dead on! I was highly highly impressed with his shooting. Funny seeing the 4' long stablizers though.

KERI - love ya!

#1232250 - 03/12/09 12:07 PM Re: Frustrated beginner [Re: CoastieHunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Glad to see you are getting the bow dialed in and shooting good .

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (cozy23, jar, old guy, remke, David Sapp, Andy S., 13 invisible) and 129 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91562 Topics
1070335 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.549 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.