Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1225697 - 03/09/09 11:45 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: BV]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

The same year I also shot at a pretty nice 7pt buck 4.........yes I said 4 times with my bow. He literally walked all the way around me and left and came back multiple times. I ended up watching him make a rub and scrape within 20 yards of my stand, but by then there was hardly any light.
#1225698 - 03/09/09 11:47 AM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: REN]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Well in continuance of my above post I was leaving same area, it was about noon and I spotted a LB feeding at the edge of a right-of-way. He was heading towards the woods and I figured he was gone but decided I was there and might as well see what happens. Well I park, put on my stuff, load the gun, and start the sneak toward where I last saw him. I sat down on a small hump inside an old pine stand of trees. There was a cleared road in front about 50 yards that seperated the pines from the hardwoods, and the right-of-way was on my left. I called for a few minutes and waited for what seemed like an eturnity (15-20 minutes lol) and nothing happened. So I got up and moved in a circle farther to my right in hopes of getting in front of him. I sat back down where the old roads made a 4-way interesction and called some more...... nothing. After another 15 minutes I got tried of waiting and figured he had gone into the woods earlier and was gone for good. I got up and headed down the old road leading back to the right-of-way. About 40 yards from reaching the right-of-way something ran and flushed up flying away from me........ Yep you guessed it, that turkey was about 20 yards form that little hump where I first sat down and called..... I learned just because you don't see him, doesn't mean he isn't still around, patience is everything in the turkey game!!

Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share.

#1225724 - 03/09/09 12:13 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

hahahaha i just remembered the best ever which is more of a DUMB ARSE then an almost hunt...

First time i ever went on my own (had NO IDEA what i was doing) i walked out to the middle of a field with a brush pile in it and set up my decs because i heard one gobbling up on the ridge above it....took me a while to do all this as i said before i didnt have a clue what i was doing.

once i got everything set up i pulled out the box call and let them have it!! well i was still standing up about 10yds from the decs and 10yds from the brush pile. withing a matter of secs a LB came running out of the woods infront of me on a string. Problem being i didnt expect it and was just standing in the middle of the field with my gun on my shoulder...(here comes the best part) the bird spots me and i spot him at the same time!! he turns and BOLTS back into the woods and smart me goes and sits down in the brush pile and starts calling again thinking "he may come back, maybe he didnt really see what i was" hahahahahahahahahahah gosh i was an idiot!!!

John 3:16

#1225757 - 03/09/09 12:34 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: REN]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Another and my final "almost got'em" for now started on a saturday morning on a piece of property with limited access (same area I took my very first solo turkey a few weeks earlier). I located a bird on the roost and moved towards him and into my comfort zone. After daylight I saw his hens fly down and he eventually followed. Once on the ground we exchanged calls and he came to within 50 yards but with the thick bushes I wouldn't shoot. His hens took him in the opposite direction so I scouted around and made my plans for the next morning.

It was still very early the next morning and I was waiting on a gobble to know where I needed to be. I had leaned my gun up against a tree next to me since I wasn't "hunting" yet just "listening". I was at the edge of a somewhat grown-up grassy
field and the hardwoods. I was listening to a distant gobbler when I heard a noise next to me. It being so early I didn't expect to come face to face with oppertunity. But as luck would have it, I guess another hunter bumped a hen and nice gobbler and they came trotting my way. By the time I realized what was happening (as I gazed at his long beard, life seemed to happen in slow motion) he was within 10 feet, yes I said 10 feet!! I had to spin around to grab my gun and by the time I got back around they had fled behind a blown down cedar tree and were going straight away.....

Lesson learned: Be ready with gun in hand at ALL times in the woods, no telling when an oppertunity will just bump into you!!!

Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share.

#1225779 - 03/09/09 12:41 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
BV
4 Point

Loc: Maury Co. TN

Its funny how much we can learn, and re-learn from the almost stories. Over the past 11 years of turkey hunting I think I can probably remember nearly every "almost story" because I learned some sort of lesson from each one of them.
Dont't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.- John Eldredge from the book Wild at Heart

#1225794 - 03/09/09 12:51 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: BV]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

I so agree BV....however you always have those ones that are more of a head scratcher too....just leaves you sitting there thinking "man what do i have to do here???"

its just such a fickle sport with never have the "FOR SURE WAY" each hunt is a little different and sometimes you just have to try something

the guy who taught me everything i know use to tell me 70% of the time you are not going to do the right thing, just the nature of the beast but boy that 30% sure makes that 70% worth it.

John 3:16

#1225798 - 03/09/09 12:56 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: Baxter83]
RussellvilleRob
8 Point

Loc: Russellville

It was my 11-yr old's first hunt with him being the one carrying the gun. All I took was a backpack and a few calls.
I did a little clucking on my mouthcall and got a gobble. I waited about fifteen minutes and tried again. We got another gobble and the distance was cut in-half.
About ten minutes later, I hit a light tune on the boxcall. We heard all kinds of shuffling in the leaves just out of sight over a little rise.
I had a handfull of leaves in our blind and started crunching them and making a little rustling noise.
The bird, which was very nice, walked within ten feet of our setup. My boy locked the hammer back, shouldered the gun, and BOOM!
He missed. He forgot to put his cheek on the stock and shot over the turkey's head. He said the bead was lined up, he just forgot to place his cheek.

All I can say is this was the best hunt ever! I have killed my share of deer and turkeys, but this was definitely the best...

#1225833 - 03/09/09 01:46 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: RussellvilleRob]
jackscreek
10 Point

Loc: Jacks Creek, Chester County, W...

I really enjoy reading these stories. Keep 'em coming!

#1226050 - 03/09/09 04:14 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: jackscreek]
BV
4 Point

Loc: Maury Co. TN

Here's another one for me. I had been hunting this bird that I talked about earlier on another post that was basically up on top of a mountain in a big cow pasture. The hill he was on was surrounded by woods and he was always roosted right on top of it in the center. I had hunted him several mornings in a row and had had several close calls but wasnt able to close the deal. This particular morning I headed up a fence row before daylight on my way in. I was a little late, and was in a hurry. I tripped over something, probably cow crap, and when I did that big dude hammered just up the hill from me maybe 50 yards. I was on the opposite side of the fence than him and in a terrible position for setting up on him. I had a little time left and there was plenty of foilage on the trees so I decided to head back down the hill another 75 yards or so, cross the fence, and slip through the woods until I was level with him. I did so and got set up about 50-60 yards from him; I sat down, laid my gun across my knee and waited. He hammered, and hammered, and hammered. I finally let out some sleepy tree yelps and the gobbler screamed back at me. He finally pitched down and came strait at me. I could hear him spitting and drumming, but with the soft grass in the area I was at I couldn't hear him walking. I just knew he would show his old head any second. I waited, and waited. Next thing I know, GOBBBBBBBLLLLLLEEEE. He had to have been ten steps away,RIGHT BEHIND ME! He was spitting and drumming like crazy. I got goosebumps because I knew he was within ten yards and I couldn't do anything but hope he would strut his way around to the front of my gun barrell. Never happended. Just as he appeared in a ghost-like manner right behind me, he silently left and I never heard him gobble again. SO CLOSE! Guess that was one of thos 70%'s, REN
Dont't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.- John Eldredge from the book Wild at Heart

#1226173 - 03/09/09 05:34 PM Re: Whats your best "almost got'em" story? [Re: BV]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

Well if anybody works night shift they know how much it can drain the mind and body of a die hard turkey hunter. Working till 1 am, coming home and sleeping 1 to 2 hours and hitting the woods every morning at daylight for a week straight can get the best of you. I had been on one of those week long binges hunting by myself and Friday of that week me and a buddy hit it early. While walking in half asleep we discussed setup and this and that. We got to our listening spot and located a bird. Knowing the normal routine of this bird we split up knowing that he could possibly go the opposite way once the calling begins. He circled around behind him to cut him off and I got in front of him and waited. It was still 30 min beforer daylight and I had managed to get within 60 yards of his roost. Sun started showing and I hit him with some tree yelps. He pitched down and came to me on a string. I was already in position with the barrel on his head, safety off, and he was at 10 yards. Pulled the trigger and all I got was CLICK. He spooked and took off. I jumped up and racked the slide on my gun thinking I had forgot to chamber a round. Lead him a little and CLICK. As he flew off I realized that through the sleepy walk in and the heated discussion I had with my buddy about setup, I had forgot to load my gun, PERIOD. That was my STUPID moment of the day.

Dont tread on me

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
80 registered (bowhunterfanatic, mrw, Buccaneer, Bo Diddley, TN Larry, gtk, 9 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88967 Topics
1040779 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.213 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.