Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1225528 - 03/09/09 09:58 AM Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

I lost the front 3 sections of an 8wt Sage Fli on the Caney Fork yesterday, at the very bottom of the run at Lancaster (right where the dead tree juts out). We were in a drift boat and there was too much current to get back to where it went in.

If anybody finds it, please IM me, e-mail me, or something and let me know. I will be tremendously grateful.

bd

#1225536 - 03/09/09 10:03 AM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: B.D.]
TNFishnstix
Button

Loc: Nashville

Hey BD, my son and I plan on going up to Lancaster in the morning for a few mintues, I will run down by there and see if I can find it before the water comes up. Just below the gravel bar, right?
#1225570 - 03/09/09 10:22 AM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: TNFishnstix]
B.D.
8 Point

Yes, just below the gravel bar. Thank you so much.

At the bottom end of the run at Landcaster, there is a dead tree that sticks out - that is the one I lost it on.

Basically, the bottom ferrule worked loose, the front end of the rod went in the water, and the tree hung me up so I couldn't just drag it back in. We were in a drift boat and couldn't row back up against the current to get it back (1 gen running), so I was pretty much helpless. Inevitably the fly broke off, and the back end of the line came back to the boat without the rod attached. That was probably the first time in two years that I've been on that run in a boat without a motor, and it's just my luck that this would be the time I had that mishap. The Sage warranty protects against breakage, but not loss, so I am fearing that I will be out mucho dinero if I have to replace 3/4 of the rod.

Thanks again.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (03/09/09 10:25 AM)

#1225593 - 03/09/09 10:30 AM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Sorry about that, Man, what a cluster! \:D

I just got my 6 wt. FLi back from Sage that I broke not far from there. Jack and I's backcasts crossed, and my tip snapped.

So how was the fishing?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1225758 - 03/09/09 12:34 PM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Originally Posted By: gil1
So how was the fishing?

Slow. We had to work for them. We picked up one legitimately around 20" and a few 16-18s, plus a light assortment of dinks, but many, many casts between fish.

It was all big streamers and sinking lines on high water - you wouldn't have liked it. \:\)

We did hit one "hatch" for about 15 minutes where fish were aggressively smacking the surface all around us but showed no interest in any fly I found. No bugs coming off and no shad in the vicinity - we think they may have been eating seeds that were blowing in from a nearby sycamore tree. Those seeds were all I saw on the surface, anyway. Weird. It stopped before we dialed anything in.

The 25 mph winds blowing straight downriver nearly all day added to the painintheass factor.

bd

#1225817 - 03/09/09 01:33 PM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
 Originally Posted By: gil1
So how was the fishing?

Slow. We had to work for them. We picked up one legitimately around 20" and a few 16-18s, plus a light assortment of dinks, but many, many casts between fish.

It was all big streamers and sinking lines on high water - you wouldn't have liked it. \:\)

We did hit one "hatch" for about 15 minutes where fish were aggressively smacking the surface all around us but showed no interest in any fly I found. No bugs coming off and no shad in the vicinity - we think they may have been eating seeds that were blowing in from a nearby sycamore tree. Those seeds were all I saw on the surface, anyway. Weird. It stopped before we dialed anything in.

The 25 mph winds blowing straight downriver nearly all day added to the painintheass factor.

bd

Sounds like a pretty good trip to me. I almost always figure it out for about 1 fish before they change patterns.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1226046 - 03/09/09 04:12 PM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: gil1]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Look, I've said it once, I'll say it again. Why are people using drift boats on the Caney? There are no rapids, no real shallow water that cannot be navigated with just a jon boat and a 9.9 or a gheenoe...I don't understand it. You can't go back and float sections, you don't have that much room, and they're really not the best for covering the water. I can say this because I've been in one both as angler and at the oars. In my opinion, it was the biggest pain in the butt I've ever had.

We launched one on the collins one time...because the guy insisted....and that was even worse, although it did allow us some easy passage over the last run of rapids. But still...I see guys that use them on the Caney, Cumby, and all these huge tailraces that can accomodate motor boats and small jon boats .Weren't these craft designed for the bodies of water where you CAN'T motor back up stream, due to jagged rocks and shallow rapids that would destroy a normal boat? I'm sure they excel at that, and you'd die in a jon boat, but we're not dealing with that. I hate to say this is all apart of the whole "image" thing again, but I'd really like someone to explain to me the advantage of this. If there is, I'm really open to hear it. The only guy I saw who had one that I thought was smart had a 5 hp kicker on the back he could fire up. In that case, I'd say it's not a bad idea, I really enjoy that little anchoring system built in, and it works well, but I'd still rather have a jon boat and a 9.9. If there are advantages though to fishing navigable waterways like the Caney, please let me know...

...because I think the aforementioned plea is just another nail in the coffin of why they are probably the least efficient way of fishing most tailraces, save a caulked conestoga wagon. You couldn't even run back upstream to get your rod. BD, I'm really sorry, I've been in that boat and lost things before, but never because I was unable to get back up stream to retrieve them. Why submit yourself to that? And btw, I thought you had a gheenoe or something, a pretty decked out one at that? nice boat, what were you doing in a $5,000 fiberglass bathtub? I bet they are the only way to go out in Montana in some remote scenic river with rapids and runs...but we're not in Montana in more ways than one.

#1226047 - 03/09/09 04:13 PM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Oh, and cosequently, good day. I still don't know what you guys were catterwalling about with no big browns being in the river. One of my buddies got a 25" yesterday and 3 more over 20". Big jerkbaits. Sounds like the river is doing....just fine.
#1226052 - 03/09/09 04:17 PM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Bd, haha...I just thought...maybe you should've pm'd someone instead of putting it on a public forum. You might have better luck finding your rod at that little shanty across the road from Pirate's Adventure that sells all used stuff.....
#1226063 - 03/09/09 04:26 PM Re: Lost Rod Sections on the Caney Fork [Re: Tubakka]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
108 registered (TNBowfish, bowtch huntr209, Dbllunger, Redwing, nabowhunter, ZachMarkus, 11 invisible) and 135 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91334 Topics
1067684 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.