Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#1224416 - 03/08/09 07:35 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: captain hook]
deerlawyer
4 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: captain hook
Another pounding was unleased today on Loudon by me and 3 buddies, we took our 60 keepers and fired up the Alabama buzz blade. Can you hear the grease poppin? No shortage of fish, and no problem with recruitment best I can tell.

what size they running over there hook? i just can't keep a 10 incher unless i need em bad. about 11 is my personal minimum on tenn river, reelfoot or anywhere.

i guess it is possible that a higher minimum might create some sort of pop explosion of smaller fish, but i doubt it. the 10in min did not have that effect. i think it would work.

#1224567 - 03/08/09 08:56 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: MFBAB]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Pics \:D \:D Sorry, but not really into taking pictures of crappie. Just doesn't get my blood going to have albums of fish on stringers. Think of it sort of like going to the grocery store and taking pictures of steaks \:\)

#1224571 - 03/08/09 09:00 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: deerlawyer]
stik
TnDeer Old Timer
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
Another pounding was unleased today on Loudon by me and 3 buddies, we took our 60 keepers and fired up the Alabama buzz blade. Can you hear the grease poppin? No shortage of fish, and no problem with recruitment best I can tell.

what size they running over there hook? i just can't keep a 10 incher unless i need em bad. about 11 is my personal minimum on tenn river, reelfoot or anywhere.

i guess it is possible that a higher minimum might create some sort of pop explosion of smaller fish, but i doubt it. the 10in min did not have that effect. i think it would work.

the 10 in. minimum DID have that effect.when you catch 50+ fish and only 2 or 3 barely measure 10 inches. something is wrong.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1225136 - 03/08/09 11:53 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: captain hook]
population control
10 Point

Loc: down in the bottoms of t- coun...

Pics \:D \:D Sorry, but not really into taking pictures of crappie. Just doesn't get my blood going to have albums of fish on stringers. Think of it sort of like going to the grocery store and taking pictures of steaks \:\)

come on now we all like to brag on our catches

#1225195 - 03/09/09 05:35 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: population control]
captain hook
10 Point

Most of the fish we kept were in the 12" range. It isn't really worth the time unless things are slow to keep 10" fish IMO. I am like you and at 11" they start being worthy of the blade.

#1225230 - 03/09/09 06:11 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: captain hook]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Save your lectures on fish harvests.

Holy cow. The TNDeer forum has got to be the most defensive, easily offended, angriest discussion board on the entire Internet. Un-bunch your panties a little.

I didn't say I wanted the limit any lower than it is now, and I didn't say I supported the 12" minimum that started this whole discussion. All I said was that 100 to 150 crappie every weekend seemed like a little more than some folks needed.

So maybe I'm wrong - maybe all those people are holding weekly fish fries. I've known people who put fish in the freezer and later threw them out, but maybe my experience is unique on TNDeer.

Not a lecture guys, just a comment. Un-bunch your fists for a while and settle down.

bd

#1225254 - 03/09/09 06:43 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: B.D.]
captain hook
10 Point

Not bunched at all, just not going to listen to a lecture about conservation.

All total per year I personsally might kill 100 crappie. Considering there is a min. size, and the fact that we catch hundreds of dinks I am not worried about the longenvity of the fishery.

Add to that, that best I can tell no one else on the lake that I have run into has any idea how to consistently put alot of fish in the livewell.

I understand what you are saying, about freezer fillers. There is no reason for folks to fill a freezer with fish that will just go bad over time. I am not one of those, I eat what I kill, and have plenty of empty space in my freezer.

#1225286 - 03/09/09 07:10 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: B.D.]
Kimberman
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan

Holy cow. The TNDeer forum has got to be the most defensive, easily offended, angriest discussion board on the entire Internet. Un-bunch your panties a little.

I didn't say I wanted the limit any lower than it is now, and I didn't say I supported the 12" minimum that started this whole discussion. All I said was that 100 to 150 crappie every weekend seemed like a little more than some folks needed.

So maybe I'm wrong - maybe all those people are holding weekly fish fries. I've known people who put fish in the freezer and later threw them out, but maybe my experience is unique on TNDeer.

Not a lecture guys, just a comment. Un-bunch your fists for a while and settle down.

bd

Its funny that he will defend himself keeping a bunch of crappie, but if someone else decides to keep a limit of trout he attacks them and blames them for ruining a fishery. I guess the crappie arent as important to him.

Here is a quote from just the other day:
Great, glad we can watch another good fishery die off for a second time at the hands of you and the crowds which show up when the internet gossip chain starts. I thought once was enough for a lifetime, but I guess good things just don't last...

#1225295 - 03/09/09 07:16 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: Kimberman]
captain hook
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Kimberman
 Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan

bd

Its funny that he will defend himself catching a bunch of crappie, but if someone else decides to keep a limit of trout he attacks them and blames them for ruining a fishery. I guess the crappie arent as important to him.

Boy, I can tell you read but don't comprehend very well. I have never, not one time bashed someone for keeping their limit of trout. I do support tight restrictions on trout, but that doesn't mean I hate people who keep fish. I think all fisheries should be managed, and that management should be dictated by what the fishery can sustain, which doesn't consist of throwing more in to fill in the gaps.

The new slot on the Clinch is perfect for now. It allows everyone to have their own piece of the pie. You can keep fish, some are protected, and you can keep trophies.

You are painting with a broad brush, and making assumptions which you know nothing about. I do think that internet chatter can adversely affect fishing/hunting places in a hurry.

Mearns quail in Arizona are a prime example, as well as what happened last year on the Caney Fork. The shocking data from the Caney this year tells the whole story. There is a big difference in a reservoir and a small tailwater, if you don't understand that then I am sorry for your incompetence.

Edited by captain hook (03/09/09 07:17 AM)

#1225445 - 03/09/09 09:11 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: captain hook]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

The "un-bunch your panties" part of my post was uncalled for, and I withdraw it. I should wake up a little more before I start posting. \:\)

Anyway, my comments were solely directed at the "freezer fillers," as you called them. I wasn't trying to lecture you on conservation at all, just talking about what I remember from the "old days." I have no problem with people keeping fish, within reason, and crappie can certainly withstand some harvest as long as it doesn't go overboard.

I agree with you 100 percent on the Clinch.

bd

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
136 registered (SPickle, infoman jr., stylishblueticks, wrcox, leader, scn, 11 invisible) and 163 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85210 Topics
1029770 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.224 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.