Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#1222811 - 03/07/09 04:43 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: ]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: captain hook

I would again, not like a 12" min. on crappie here, and wish they would up the limit back to 30 fish. It just doesn't take very long to catch 15.

I remember "back in the day" before the limit, when people would roll into the ramp on Priest and Kentucky Lake with stringers of 100 or 150 crappie. Same dudes would do it several weekends in a row sometimes on a good spring. To each his own, but I never could understand why a person could want that many fish to eat.

Heck, forget eating - who wants to clean that many fish? \:\)

I've just known too many people who pack their freezer plum full of filets and then wind up throwing half of them away when they get freezer burned. Just greedy in my book.

Bill Dance used to say "keep what you can use, and release the rest"...

bd

#1222902 - 03/07/09 06:28 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: B.D.]
OldHunter
6 Point

Loc: west tennessee

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan

I would again, not like a 12" min. on crappie here, and wish they would up the limit back to 30 fish. It just doesn't take very long to catch 15.

I remember "back in the day" before the limit, when people would roll into the ramp on Priest and Kentucky Lake with stringers of 100 or 150 crappie. Same dudes would do it several weekends in a row sometimes on a good spring. To each his own, but I never could understand why a person could want that many fish to eat.

Heck, forget eating - who wants to clean that many fish? \:\)

I've just known too many people who pack their freezer plum full of filets and then wind up throwing half of them away when they get freezer burned. Just greedy in my book.

Bill Dance used to say "keep what you can use, and release the rest"...

bd

Hey Brian, you need to come to one of our redneck, southern, lost creek anytime of the year fish fries.

It will answer many of your questions.

#1223658 - 03/08/09 09:42 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: ]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

ashame there is not a practical way to improve fertility.
#1223869 - 03/08/09 12:50 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: ]
go-devil
4 Point

Loc: east tennessee

no

#1224204 - 03/08/09 05:17 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: ]
MFBAB
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN

content Online
Pics?

#1224416 - 03/08/09 07:35 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: ]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Another pounding was unleased today on Loudon by me and 3 buddies, we took our 60 keepers and fired up the Alabama buzz blade. Can you hear the grease poppin? No shortage of fish, and no problem with recruitment best I can tell.

what size they running over there hook? i just can't keep a 10 incher unless i need em bad. about 11 is my personal minimum on tenn river, reelfoot or anywhere.

i guess it is possible that a higher minimum might create some sort of pop explosion of smaller fish, but i doubt it. the 10in min did not have that effect. i think it would work.

#1224571 - 03/08/09 09:00 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: ]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
Another pounding was unleased today on Loudon by me and 3 buddies, we took our 60 keepers and fired up the Alabama buzz blade. Can you hear the grease poppin? No shortage of fish, and no problem with recruitment best I can tell.

what size they running over there hook? i just can't keep a 10 incher unless i need em bad. about 11 is my personal minimum on tenn river, reelfoot or anywhere.

i guess it is possible that a higher minimum might create some sort of pop explosion of smaller fish, but i doubt it. the 10in min did not have that effect. i think it would work.

the 10 in. minimum DID have that effect.when you catch 50+ fish and only 2 or 3 barely measure 10 inches. something is wrong.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1225136 - 03/08/09 11:53 PM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: ]
population control
10 Point

Loc: down in the bottoms of t- coun...

Pics \:D \:D Sorry, but not really into taking pictures of crappie. Just doesn't get my blood going to have albums of fish on stringers. Think of it sort of like going to the grocery store and taking pictures of steaks \:\)

come on now we all like to brag on our catches

#1225230 - 03/09/09 06:11 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: ]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Save your lectures on fish harvests.

Holy cow. The TNDeer forum has got to be the most defensive, easily offended, angriest discussion board on the entire Internet. Un-bunch your panties a little.

I didn't say I wanted the limit any lower than it is now, and I didn't say I supported the 12" minimum that started this whole discussion. All I said was that 100 to 150 crappie every weekend seemed like a little more than some folks needed.

So maybe I'm wrong - maybe all those people are holding weekly fish fries. I've known people who put fish in the freezer and later threw them out, but maybe my experience is unique on TNDeer.

Not a lecture guys, just a comment. Un-bunch your fists for a while and settle down.

bd

#1225286 - 03/09/09 07:10 AM Re: 12 in crappie minimum..... [Re: B.D.]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan

Save your lectures on fish harvests.

Holy cow. The TNDeer forum has got to be the most defensive, easily offended, angriest discussion board on the entire Internet. Un-bunch your panties a little.

I didn't say I wanted the limit any lower than it is now, and I didn't say I supported the 12" minimum that started this whole discussion. All I said was that 100 to 150 crappie every weekend seemed like a little more than some folks needed.

So maybe I'm wrong - maybe all those people are holding weekly fish fries. I've known people who put fish in the freezer and later threw them out, but maybe my experience is unique on TNDeer.

Not a lecture guys, just a comment. Un-bunch your fists for a while and settle down.

bd

Its funny that he will defend himself keeping a bunch of crappie, but if someone else decides to keep a limit of trout he attacks them and blames them for ruining a fishery. I guess the crappie arent as important to him.

Here is a quote from just the other day:
Great, glad we can watch another good fishery die off for a second time at the hands of you and the crowds which show up when the internet gossip chain starts. I thought once was enough for a lifetime, but I guess good things just don't last...

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (memace, caretaker, Plateau Hunter, WORM82, Bullfrog, LSUtigers, 11 invisible) and 126 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91327 Topics
1067618 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.