Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1215748 - 03/04/09 04:39 PM The Definition of Irony
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

From an anonymous tip [Thanks Biglures...wait...], I recently found that the trophytnfishing Caney section forum became public again [huzzah...]. But a friend of mine still at tech whom I got hooked on trout fishing [he has yet to harvest a legal brown by the way...though he has caught a couple] found a recent thread that specifically mentioned me by name after I told him to look there for info on recent reports and such [even he found it amazing that he couldn't find a trout forum that specifically directed attention to conventional tackle anglers...hmmm *sniff sniff* smells like...promise...]. Frankly, I think its so ridiculously incredible that I am still the iconic figurehead of raping natural resources, and of course, if anyone keeps a legal brown ever, it's somehow my fault, especially since I've only fished the Caney from the fall of '07 to the spring of '08...but that's not really the ironic part.

...I imagine that a thread that appeared recently on this forum spawned from this concerning the lack of large browns in the Caney due to the single efforts of yours truly simply stating that it doesn't make you a member of the occult to harvest a legal fish in a put-and-take fishery and that resources like that are build to withstand, be augmented by, and EASILY take far more abuse than they're being given, and also that theoretically education is moot. It must be done by regulation, which is in truth, fact. If you're expecting everyone to give up the pleasure of taking a nice brown home to the table now and then [which if you haven't, no offense, you're missing out on one of the greatest things in freshwater, one that cannot be bought in a store or farm raised...and yes, FACT a 22" brown tastes FAR better than a 12" rainbow...] you're going to have quite a wait.

All this aside, in such a statement, there was a remark made about a guy who was one of my "neophytes" or something [probably don't even know the guy] who had put an 8 and 4 pound brown in the freezer that week. While yes, I think the regs need to be tightened but not embargoed completely....if you close harvest on the Caney, guess what...you'll close the stocking as well...the FUNNY THING IS!!!...here they were in one swoop saying how there were "no big browns left in the Caney" and yet...here is a conventional tackle angler IN A CANOE who's taken two big fish within a week...and he's not the only one [caught I mean, I don't know about harvest past that one testimonial]. Here they keep pleading and pleading and saying how the resource is just totally wasted, and gone to pot over my rantings...and to cite such claims, they are using their OWN lack of success pitted against the successful catch and harvest of legal browns [saying there are no fish over 18" in it anymore] DURING SIMULTANEOUSLY ANGLING. Am I the ONLY one that smells how ridiculous that assault is? I don't mean to start a brush fire [although...sure enough, some's going to drop their drawers, spew the methane, and here we have another deca-thread on our hands....] but seriously...can we come to an agreement that in a fishery that is put-and-take it's not completely evil to harvest, and as evidenced by this [NOT A SINGLE SHOCKING STUDY, which proves nothing, especially when stacked against the recent creel takes of my friends still in TN] fact? I really really really really get tired of getting a beating for thinking a bit more abstract than just "take fish = bad/throw back fish=good" There is something great about a fishery like this that can accomodate both ridiculous stocking and managed to be augmented by the take of a few larger sized fish through regulation and enforcement, as well. I'm sorry, but I refuse to hop on the new age bandwagon that 21st century angling is all about catch-and-release. We used to go FULL ON the OTHER WAY, and of course, THAT RUINED resources, but now we go FULL ON this way and neither of them are the answer.

...seriously, is there not some kind of compromise that can be reached without all this name calling and such? It gets old..and let's not forget, the only reason I even began to post on these things was because of how terribly myself and friends were treated for keeping legal fish, virtually spat on and threatened, and those who were doing it actually had no intelligent basis behind it except for "THAT FISH A' DEAD NYAH...". You start telling them that the large fish are competing for resources at a much higher stake and have no natural predators other than man, and through the regulation many are reaching that size of 18" where they all are competing for larger prey but not a whole lot are being taken out, and the periodic harvest of a few larger fish can enhance the quality of trophy fish in a fishery so heavily stocked...and they just scratch their heads, not to MENTION that there is NO reproduction in the Caney due to fluctuating water levels... It's like it doesn't even register...

I still say, one of the best quotes in the context of this discussion [and I'd like it to become a discussion, not lobbing dictionapalm at one another] is by a former flyfishing guide...

..."if a bunch of hungry rednecks can ruin a fishery, then the TWRA isn't doing their job..."

Amen....

Because the only way we're going to get anything done here is ot realize that the harvesters are still going to want to harvest, the catch and release guys are going to catch and release no matter what, and neither are going to change the others minds. So...a compromise must be made.

#1215757 - 03/04/09 04:48 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

A slot limit perhaps?

#1215763 - 03/04/09 04:51 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: smstone22]
Tubakka
6 Point

I've stated my case...

....2 browns per day...1 between 20-24" and another either 28+ or 30+ [make it 30"+]. That way someone can take a nice one home for the table and then if someone gets a true trophy and they want to take it home to the wall, they have that option, and if they want to get a fiberglass then they reserve that right as well. But I just get sick of the blatant attacks of a bunch of fish that get dumped off by the truckload.
Rainbows? I think a 10-14" slot with 4 fish taken so the old guys at the rv parks can have their fun, and then 1 fish over 20-22". Makes sense to me....

#1215766 - 03/04/09 04:54 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
smstone22
16 Point

I think that is perfectly sensible.

#1215772 - 03/04/09 04:57 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

I just hope people are smart enough to realize that by closing harvest of the fishery entirely they are completely ignoring a demographic that will in turn no longer utilize the resource and stocking will decline significantly to that river. I don't think they realize how much of the money from those stocking efforts doesn't come from the die-hards and year-passers, but the people who come down a couple weekends a year to canoe and take a few fish and then go home. I mean, 3 consecutive day stamps equals the price of a year one if I recall maybe a bit more...

...there is a line to walk here. Harvest HAS to be included in these fisheries, period. It's the nature for their existence. And I do not think this utopian trout fishery that people seem to believe could exist if no harvest was incited...does. Newsflash, there are untapped troves of large trout in the river, as evidenced by these guys using rainbows for bait [amen brothers, fight on...if you catch this fish legally on your stamp in your daily limit, they're YOURS to do with what you want...]. I've heard way too many stories in the past few months of my friends up there having MONSTROSITIES come up to boat with the size and swagger of a rockfish or musky to take a swipe at a poor maligned rainbow or sublegal brown to believe that "all the big fish are gone". What river ARE you fishing guys? Change up tactics; I know the next time I'm back, the smallest thing to grace my line will be 3/4 of an ounce and 5" long, and that's only if things are particularly slow.

#1215774 - 03/04/09 04:58 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Thanks Stone,
I don't think that particular sequence of words has ever been used to describe me, on this board or any other...or in real life for that matter.

#1215790 - 03/04/09 05:06 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
smstone22
16 Point

Im just looking at it from a standpoint of what will make all the users of the Caney the happiest and the least upset with the regs. Like you said, lots of folks like to harvest fish to eat, lots of folks like to catch and release fish also. Neither group is wrong, eating trout is perfectly fine. A happy medium just has to be found for both groups and I think a slot limit accomplishes that very well.

#1215903 - 03/04/09 06:21 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: smstone22]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

happy Online
Whatever makes the trout bigger I am in favor of.

Tubbs, you are the most diehard fisherman I know. I have floated the caney sun up to sundown with you, floated with you in the middle of the pitch black night even. You have a 28" beautifull male brown on your wall which I admire but your longwinded posts sometimes make you out to be a douche. BTW where is my tackle box?

#1215917 - 03/04/09 06:27 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: madMax]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm worn out. I'm not biting on your bad B.S. anymore. I'm hoping that folks have enough sense to understand that you have a serious problem and need help.

Why don't you troll on the site that you're all pissy about? Could it be that it's because they showed you the door? Could it be that they don't put up with the psycho factor over there?

There's zero reason for you to be stirring it up over here. I'm out. I will not open this thread again - life's too short.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1215933 - 03/04/09 06:36 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: gil1]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

[grabs some popcorn]
#1217881 - 03/05/09 12:49 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
I just hope people are smart enough to realize that by closing harvest of the fishery entirely they are completely ignoring a demographic that will in turn no longer utilize the resource and stocking will decline significantly to that river. I don't think they realize how much of the money from those stocking efforts doesn't come from the die-hards and year-passers, but the people who come down a couple weekends a year to canoe and take a few fish and then go home. I mean, 3 consecutive day stamps equals the price of a year one if I recall maybe a bit more...

...there is a line to walk here. Harvest HAS to be included in these fisheries, period. It's the nature for their existence. And I do not think this utopian trout fishery that people seem to believe could exist if no harvest was incited...does. Newsflash, there are untapped troves of large trout in the river, as evidenced by these guys using rainbows for bait [amen brothers, fight on...if you catch this fish legally on your stamp in your daily limit, they're YOURS to do with what you want...]. I've heard way too many stories in the past few months of my friends up there having MONSTROSITIES come up to boat with the size and swagger of a rockfish or musky to take a swipe at a poor maligned rainbow or sublegal brown to believe that "all the big fish are gone". What river ARE you fishing guys? Change up tactics; I know the next time I'm back, the smallest thing to grace my line will be 3/4 of an ounce and 5" long, and that's only if things are particularly slow.

Not one group, person, or Non profit organization has ever tried to get the caney made into a no harvest zone.

#1217886 - 03/05/09 12:52 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

From an anonymous tip [Thanks Biglures...wait...], I recently found that the trophytnfishing Caney section forum became public again [huzzah...]. But a friend of mine still at tech whom I got hooked on trout fishing [he has yet to harvest a legal brown by the way...though he has caught a couple] found a recent thread that specifically mentioned me by name after I told him to look there for info on recent reports and such [even he found it amazing that he couldn't find a trout forum that specifically directed attention to conventional tackle anglers...hmmm *sniff sniff* smells like...promise...]. Frankly, I think its so ridiculously incredible that I am still the iconic figurehead of raping natural resources, and of course, if anyone keeps a legal brown ever, it's somehow my fault, especially since I've only fished the Caney from the fall of '07 to the spring of '08...but that's not really the ironic part.

...I imagine that a thread that appeared recently on this forum spawned from this concerning the lack of large browns in the Caney due to the single efforts of yours truly simply stating that it doesn't make you a member of the occult to harvest a legal fish in a put-and-take fishery and that resources like that are build to withstand, be augmented by, and EASILY take far more abuse than they're being given, and also that theoretically education is moot. It must be done by regulation, which is in truth, fact. If you're expecting everyone to give up the pleasure of taking a nice brown home to the table now and then [which if you haven't, no offense, you're missing out on one of the greatest things in freshwater, one that cannot be bought in a store or farm raised...and yes, FACT a 22" brown tastes FAR better than a 12" rainbow...] you're going to have quite a wait.

All this aside, in such a statement, there was a remark made about a guy who was one of my "neophytes" or something [probably don't even know the guy] who had put an 8 and 4 pound brown in the freezer that week. While yes, I think the regs need to be tightened but not embargoed completely....if you close harvest on the Caney, guess what...you'll close the stocking as well...the FUNNY THING IS!!!...here they were in one swoop saying how there were "no big browns left in the Caney" and yet...here is a conventional tackle angler IN A CANOE who's taken two big fish within a week...and he's not the only one [caught I mean, I don't know about harvest past that one testimonial]. Here they keep pleading and pleading and saying how the resource is just totally wasted, and gone to pot over my rantings...and to cite such claims, they are using their OWN lack of success pitted against the successful catch and harvest of legal browns [saying there are no fish over 18" in it anymore] DURING SIMULTANEOUSLY ANGLING. Am I the ONLY one that smells how ridiculous that assault is? I don't mean to start a brush fire [although...sure enough, some's going to drop their drawers, spew the methane, and here we have another deca-thread on our hands....] but seriously...can we come to an agreement that in a fishery that is put-and-take it's not completely evil to harvest, and as evidenced by this [NOT A SINGLE SHOCKING STUDY, which proves nothing, especially when stacked against the recent creel takes of my friends still in TN] fact? I really really really really get tired of getting a beating for thinking a bit more abstract than just "take fish = bad/throw back fish=good" There is something great about a fishery like this that can accomodate both ridiculous stocking and managed to be augmented by the take of a few larger sized fish through regulation and enforcement, as well. I'm sorry, but I refuse to hop on the new age bandwagon that 21st century angling is all about catch-and-release. We used to go FULL ON the OTHER WAY, and of course, THAT RUINED resources, but now we go FULL ON this way and neither of them are the answer.

...seriously, is there not some kind of compromise that can be reached without all this name calling and such? It gets old..and let's not forget, the only reason I even began to post on these things was because of how terribly myself and friends were treated for keeping legal fish, virtually spat on and threatened, and those who were doing it actually had no intelligent basis behind it except for "THAT FISH A' DEAD NYAH...". You start telling them that the large fish are competing for resources at a much higher stake and have no natural predators other than man, and through the regulation many are reaching that size of 18" where they all are competing for larger prey but not a whole lot are being taken out, and the periodic harvest of a few larger fish can enhance the quality of trophy fish in a fishery so heavily stocked...and they just scratch their heads, not to MENTION that there is NO reproduction in the Caney due to fluctuating water levels... It's like it doesn't even register...

I still say, one of the best quotes in the context of this discussion [and I'd like it to become a discussion, not lobbing dictionapalm at one another] is by a former flyfishing guide...

..."if a bunch of hungry rednecks can ruin a fishery, then the TWRA isn't doing their job..."

Amen....

Because the only way we're going to get anything done here is ot realize that the harvesters are still going to want to harvest, the catch and release guys are going to catch and release no matter what, and neither are going to change the others minds. So...a compromise must be made.

A. There is no "assault" as you put it.

B. I call BS on your feeling threated on the river over a fish. If you did name a name. If you didnt or cant name a name then stop trying to paint yourself out as a victim. You post all this bull crap just to stir the pot and re-enforce, to yourself, that your the greatest fisherman in the world. I will not respond,reply, or waste my time with your threads anymore. If you want to debate come on over to that other forum dedicated to fishing and spew your BS there.

Edited by Fordman (03/05/09 04:41 PM)

#1218159 - 03/05/09 02:09 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

the only reason I even began to post on these things was because of how terribly myself and friends were treated for keeping legal fish, virtually spat on

I just virtually dropped a big deuce on this thread. How does that make you feel?

#1218270 - 03/05/09 03:13 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: bob]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

#1218890 - 03/05/09 07:09 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
\:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1218905 - 03/05/09 07:13 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
gil1
12 Point

From an anonymous tip [Thanks Biglures...wait...], I recently found that .........................................................................................................................................................................................and neither are going to change the others minds. So...a compromise must be made.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1218926 - 03/05/09 07:22 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: madMax]
Tubakka
6 Point

*ball slowly bounces....each time shorter than the last...*

...Gil doesn't want to play anymore.

I just presented my thoughts on a compromise limit that accomodates both parties that fish that river in their most absolute and allows for room for both to be happy and to make the fishery a better place for all by practice of them...

...and that's the best you can say? Yeah...I've got issues...

#1219129 - 03/05/09 08:43 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
gil1
12 Point

Yeah, it was completely adolescent, but I feel better.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1219175 - 03/05/09 08:49 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Fact is gil, you have neither the catches or pics or expertise or brains to chime in on most of these conversations concerning the regulations in place, which is why...you don't. You just lob crap at the side that you don't agree with with about as much wit, poise, and accuracy as an chimpanzee at the circus that sees a shirt color he doesn't like. I opened up a cause for true debate between two "warring" factions, as sad as it has come to this, and I've seen it only escalate in my absence. And you can't even sit down like a grown adult and participate in that.

Long winded as they may be, if you'd actually read my posts [sorry bowriter, I forget you grew up in the silent film age...I'll make sure next time to go sentence-by-sentence and all that...jk man, you're alright...] you'd see that if you'd get past your OWN ego, I have valid points.

To paraphrase the last one, I was attacked by name on a forum [which then, I don't have the right to a rebuttal?...CLOSE THE PORTCULLIS, before he can defend himself and speak his mind!!!....] for the actions of another and blamed almost singularly for the "death" of a fishery, given a premature headstone by the fly guys apparently, when in the same breath they are cursing fishermen that very week pulling out big BIG browns [well, not BIG browns, but big browns]. Like I said...irony.

You have to admit, the statement that the Caney is a dead fishery and then using the opposing remarks of "not being able to catch/shock big fish due to Tubakka's Auschwitz adminstration on the Caney...meaning anything brown and with a big nose must die...." [which I NEVER said take every big fish out, just that it wasn't evil to harvest stocked sterile fish and fisheries could be designed as such to be ENHANCED by harvest of certain regulated amounts and sizes...] juxtaposed with "those stupid rednecks took out some great big browns this week" is a reciprocal equation that cancels itself out.

Basically...if the Caney WERE dead and there WERE no more big fish in it...then my friends still there wouldn't be able to send me all these pics of BIG fish they're catching, and even bigger ones they're seeing and hooking. Makes no sense whatsoever. Btw, they're releasing most of their fish, but still harvest a 20-22" now and then.

I even made a plea to end this nonsense between the harvesters and huggers. It's astounding...ASTOUNDING...I don't say ANYTHING on ANY board for a number of weeks, and I immediately get attacked for no reason, just...hey, we need a scapegoat. No offense...that's pathetic. How old are we here?...

And seriously, Troy, seriously...what do you think I'm going to learn on trophytn about the Caney? Humor me...c'mon. They don't even talk my game man...I'm not even IN TN ANYMORE! How sad is that! No offense man, but I have way better sources on that river than what that board can offer. And it's a good board, with great anglers...but everyone is close lipped there, which is fine...it's their board, it's their rules. But still...don't act like you're robbing me of anything.

"He who shall not be named"...God, I love that one....

This whole mentality of threatening and excommunicating anyone who even BREATHES the word "harvest" in fishing circles, be it brown trout, brown bass, panfish, or even MUSKY... ...needs to stop. There are varying applications of the concept to any given species on any given water. They vary greater from species to species than water to water, and there are times when yes, harvest needs to be halted to allow fisheries to grow and or rebound from catastrophe, but if harvest is what allows the catastrophe in the first place, then the regulations aren't doing their jobs. Pure and simple....

Tubakka, The Butcher of Lancaster

Edited by Tubakka (03/05/09 08:51 PM)

#1219186 - 03/05/09 08:56 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Fordman,
I've never felt physically threatened on the water by anyone. And frankly...none of them have the ability to intimidate me in any way, on or off the water. I call people who post on a board false information plastering me and saying that they saw me with a "Cooler full of trout" and that "he had so many legals" when they didn't even see in my cooler...or that wonderful bit on the trophytn forum last spring where it was a celebrated "fact" that my tires had been slashed on the Collins [somewhere I still think some other poor tuba player with a musky bumper sticker had to go get some new radials...] is assault. Don't blow this up, man. I can't tell you how many times I've been given crap over harvesting a few legal fish. Or anyone in general that does. To say that it doesn't is to blatantly lie into the mirror. It needs to stop. All this crap...if it takes a full out apology on my part then I'm sorry. I'm not really a bad guy; and if your motor cut I'd haul you in Troy. None of this is personal...but I have my opinions as does everyone else.

None of this is personal, I assure you...I don't get nearly worked up over this crap as the people who respond do. So whatever...I'm still going to post and have my opinions, but I'd rather not be slandered and blamed, which are forms of verbal "assault" on boards where I don't even have the luxury of defending myself.

Btw, Troy, I've referred clients to you man. I don't know if they actually went but...hey, as I've said, I don't know how to flyfish, and some really really just want to learn that.

#1219513 - 03/05/09 10:53 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
gil1
12 Point

None of this is personal

All evidence to the contrary...

Fact is gil, you have neither the catches or pics or expertise or brains to chime in on most of these conversations concerning the regulations in place, which is why...you don't.

Well, I've been waiting all this time for you to finally get one right, and you finally scored. Even a blind pig.... Of the many folks I have fished with on the Caney and elsewhere, I rank close to last as a catcherman. Never said any different.

I admit that your fish are huge. Only your ego surpasses your catch. Oh, and the weight of your illegal stringer, too (yeah, I brought it up, but you deserve it and people deserve to know that you bragged for weeks about breaking the game laws.) Talk about somebody with his head up his azz.

As to knowledge of the river, again, most of my cronies know a lot more about it than I do. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but although I've fished many trout rivers all my life, I only just started fishing the Caney about 15 years ago. I have a ton to learn from the myriads that have been studying it much longer and harder.

On the other hand, I've been paying attention to the river for a while and have been very proactive in organizations whose best interest is our watersheds. I've spoken at many events and Commission meetings on behalf of the river and the topics which you say I won't discuss. I've released many thousands more Caney trout than you have ever caught.

Yes, I admit I am a chimpanzee in the Caney circus compared to the true experts. But you are the circus clown. You put on a show behind all that make-up, but it's all just so you can be on stage.

There is no truth or validity to most of your arguments. It's all musky misdirection and irrelevancy. You can't even get the obvious facts right. Your only concern is to feed your gargantuan ego. The river and its resources are irrelevant to you except in how they feed your ego and stomach. That, my weak friend, is why you are ALWAYS out there on that sick, afraid little Caney island of yours.

As always, no charge.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1219686 - 03/06/09 02:42 AM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: gil1]
Tubakka
6 Point

Gil,
Rapper's truce....East coast/west coast...c'mon man.

What the world needs now is nub, tweet nub.

I'm not that bad a guy. just because you disagree with me doesn't make me a megalomaniacal Snidely Whiplash who subsists off the ritualistic pagan sacrifice of legal browns, does it? After all...they do taste good....

My chimpanzee remark, if you had the faintest abilities of detecting context clues, was not directed at your angling skill. Not at all; you're a niche angler, I respect that. It was directed at your insistency of slandering me whether or not I ever POST on this forum again, or the fact that if I choked on a bone from a 48" brown I steaked up and died, my name would still be dragged through the dirt by you and others and blamed for the Caney's current "tragic" state of affairs. It's simply not very polite.

I'm seriously tired of being slandered and run in the ground and spit on. That's what I meant by "assault" [jeez Troy, you and my high school english teacher should date, I now pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. Literalistic...] It gets old...I just want to fish, state my opinion, and nuff said. If I've come across arrogant in the past, I'm sorry, I'll try to make it more clear that I'm not really, and I'm just in this game to learn and work hard and get to be the best angler I can be before I hear that dinner bell. I do think I have some knowledge to offer the people of this and other boards, but no more or less than anyone else.

Besides, last time I checked, these boards are about fishing reports and debates. I gave proposition to a compromise limit, and just got dragged through the dirt.

Sure, I love to argue, but not at the price of the comradery that angling should be known for. All I ask is that my name stop being used interchangeably with murder/rape/destruction in forums and posts. Seriously...I've not even fished that river since September. Give it a rest....you're not hurting anyone, especially not me.

Edited by Tubakka (03/06/09 10:01 AM)

#1219687 - 03/06/09 02:43 AM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

btw, I think Watchmen is one of the most fascinating movies I've seen in recent times. Especially after 3 Sparks....
#1219825 - 03/06/09 06:45 AM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Tubs, you are practically an evangelist for harvesting big trout.

You're a nice guy, and we've even had friendly conversations on the river. Hopefully we will again. But as I've said before, we're going to butt heads on this issue. Since you've been indirectly referring to a post of mine throughout this whole thread, let's talk toe-to-toe about it.

Let me be clear. I did not say there are "no more big fish in the Caney." What I have said is that there are not as many big fish in the Caney as there were this time last year. The numbers have fallen noticeably.

Thus, when I pointed out that one of your "disciples" put a couple big fish in the freezer, there is no irony there. The numbers are down. The numbers are going further down because you have taught a LOT of people a few things that only a few people used to know about those big fish, and those people taught more people, etc.

The change has been that the majority of the trophy hunters 10 years ago believed in reasonable catch and release - maybe not all the time, but most of the time. YOU brought a bunch of people to the river and taught them to trophy hunt, AND you drilled it into their heads that "big browns taste good" and belong on the grill whenever you can get them.

Hell, you've repeated that "browns taste good" suggestion a couple times in this thread.

Bottom line for me:

1 brown per day over 24", slot on rainbows from 16" to 20". Keep the rainbow limit at 7. That's even more generous than the reg you proposed - how's that for compromise?

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (03/06/09 06:48 AM)

#1219916 - 03/06/09 07:37 AM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: B.D.]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Tubs, you could break the world record every time you go fish, you could catch a hundred more of any fish than me or anyone else fishing the same way as I do or using some "super secret" you have, etc. and as far as I am concerned, you are a know it all egomaniac and if I had to listen to you and do you as say in order to fish or catch fish I would go play golf.

#1219944 - 03/06/09 07:51 AM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Tubakka]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

you'd see that if you'd get past your OWN ego, I have valid points.

I think this sentence coming from you is what makes this thread the "definition of irony". Even though I have encountered a few of the C & R "elite" myself on the few times I visit the Caney each year - I still dont go enough to have a dog in this fight. Think I'll stay away from that madhouse altogether this year...

#1220308 - 03/06/09 10:32 AM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: ]
B.D.
8 Point

The Private Act on the Caney makes it virtually impossible to create any meaningful "zones" on the river. However, it doesn't affect any regulations which would apply to the entire river equally.

bd

#1221127 - 03/06/09 03:40 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: B.D.]
OldHunter
6 Point

Loc: west tennessee

Man you guys need to come to Perryville and catch some Crappie and Bass.

No one cares what you keep or what you put back.

You might enjoy fishing again without looking over your shoulder.

#1221183 - 03/06/09 04:27 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: B.D.]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan

1 brown per day over 24", slot on rainbows from 16" to 20". Keep the rainbow limit at 7.

Got my vote on that one

#1221224 - 03/06/09 05:29 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: bigluresonly]
OldHunter
6 Point

#1221424 - 03/06/09 07:30 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: OldHunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: OldHunter

You might enjoy fishing again without looking over your shoulder.

Sounds good , lets go. \:\)

#1222816 - 03/07/09 04:51 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: OldHunter]
B.D.
8 Point

Didn't anybody tell you? They've put size limits on both the crappie and the bass on Kentucky lake. ;\)

bd

#1222825 - 03/07/09 05:30 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: B.D.]
OldHunter
6 Point

Yep I know all of that too!

Hey man you might actually like catching 30 slabs on a crappie pole (sorry Fly Rod).

My point was try fishing for fun again, You spend alot of time worrying about stuff you can't control.

#1222869 - 03/07/09 06:01 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: OldHunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Hey man you might actually like catching 30 slabs on a crappie pole (sorry Fly Rod).

My point was try fishing for fun again, You spend alot of time worrying about stuff you can't control.

Ditto , just get out and fish !

#1223751 - 03/08/09 11:33 AM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: Radar]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Had me a mess of bream fillets last night. Dam they was good.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1225239 - 03/09/09 06:19 AM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: OldHunter]
B.D.
8 Point

I know, I was just teasing you. I have plenty of fun fishing.

bd

#1226239 - 03/09/09 06:30 PM Re: The Definition of Irony [Re: B.D.]
OldHunter
6 Point

You're passionate about it and that's good! \:\)

Edited by OldHunter (03/09/09 06:33 PM)

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
55 registered (DEER REPELLANT, rem270, 1 good shot, David Sapp, tnshooter, MMHunter, 4 invisible) and 87 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93074 Topics
1087597 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.098 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.