Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#1211007 - 03/02/09 06:59 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: madMax]
snaildarter
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I'm a st. croix and g loomis fan myself. I've fished rivers from Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Arkasas to the headwater streams in the smokies with a 7'6" gl2 4 wt rod. In my eyes it is the perfect trout rod. I've got a 8'6" 5wt/6wt that I use on the lake fishing for bass that I picked up cheap from http://www.albrightflyfish.com/ , it is ok.

If anyone happens to pass thru Chattanooga they have a sweet deal on a 9' 7wt St. croix right now. I'm debating picking one up next week when I'm back down there.

#1211060 - 03/02/09 07:35 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: madMax]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Originally Posted By: MaxD
 Originally Posted By: Scott61
I'm fortunate to have learned to fly fish from my father . He was a great mentor and awesome fly fisherman. No , I'm no expert , but some of my fondest fishing memories where with my father, when we just had a flyrod fishing for gills on the beds .
Dad didn't talk about top dollar equipment , but re-enforced good technique through example. He has caught everything from bream ,bass, steelhead, and grayling , to Tarpon.
Many of you guys would probably laugh at the fiberglass flyrod and automatic reel he gave me more than 30 years ago , but it has a special meaning to me because of the memories it brings back.
Like hunting ,fly fishing doesn't have to become complicated . Just the simple enjoyment of being on the water , and sharing it with loved ones or good friends is what really matters.

Dont worry Scott, Im with you on this one. Dad taught himself with a cheap fiberglass and taught me with one. I still use it, the cheap ole Pflueger has served me well 15 years..hows that for quality? Caught everything from 3 and 4 lb river smallies to trout to BIG ole carp on it. I spin fish way more than flyfish but when I use it, it always brings back memories. Dont let anyone on here tell you that you need $200+ to get started in flyfishing. Alot of these guys are just Orvis fly only fanboys no matter how much they try to hide it...dang Im sounding too much like Tubby Tubs I gotta stop posting for awhile.

I am not trying to pick a fight here but why is it a fisherman can own the best casting rods, high dollar reels, a 40K plus boat and literally thousands in terminal tackle and thats just fishing. Yet let a flyfisherman post and I have to hear the bullshite about orvis boys? SO freaking what that I like to use the best equipment I can afford. How is my 600 dollar sage z axis any different that a 600 dollar bow or a 600 dollar rifle? Someone please tell me why a person who is serious about fly fishing has be be poked in the eye by some of you.
I have a thompson A vice my father used to tie flies on when I was a kid. Do I use it? About once a year when I take a trip down memory lane. I choose to tie on a "high dollar" vice for two reasons. First its a better vice and second because I freaking want to.
As far as rods go... I fish at the minimum a 100 days a year on my own plus another 50 as a guide. That fact alone negates the issue of price on a rod, all I want it Quality. Sometimes quality costs more and I am fine with that. What I am getting sick of is that fact that everytime there is a decent thread about flyfishing on this site some jackleg has to pop in about how ineffective fly fishing is or how its a rich mans sport. Well those same people are the ones with 600 dollar bows, 40K boats, and 1k rifles. Its all about what you love so why do some of you look hard in the mirror before you knock a fly angler because he uses good equipment.

#1211079 - 03/02/09 07:48 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I didnt mean to piss you off either - guess Ive just had too many run-ins with high dollar fly guys I hold a grudge now. Kinda like all the tournament threads that pop up every year and ppl who hold a grudge against them. I apologize. I was just letting him know you dont have to drop a few hundred dollars to catch fish or learn to fish with a flyrod thats all. Remark removed again I apologize.
#1211091 - 03/02/09 07:52 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
7mm08
12 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Capt. Hook,
Sage..... Come on now. You know they are overrated. Better than Horvis, but IMO overrated for my dollar. They also only replace the section of the rod broken, unlike my favorite rods...Loomis who replace the entire rod without questions asked.

I own three Loomis rods. I loan out my Sage to beginners to striper fish with, I don't loan out my Loomis rods. If Scott had not been so stuck on Sage he might have still been in business. TFO are great for beginnners. They have no idea for how to load a rod, or let alone cast, so why spend tons of money on one?

The last TFO I bought for my son was $130 and I bought that Hobbs creek reel that I mentioned. That kid can outcast just about anyone on the Clinch, and I will put money on that statement.

NHill. If you want to go this spring let me know. I will meet you, take you to the Clinch and let you try the rod I am talking about. Just PM me and see if you can get TVA to cut the water so we can fish. OK?

Edited by 7mm08 (03/02/09 07:56 PM)

#1211107 - 03/02/09 07:57 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: madMax]
Fordman
12 Point

I didnt mean to piss you off either - guess Ive just had too many run-ins with high dollar fly guys I hold a grudge now. Kinda like all the tournament threads that pop up every year and ppl who hold a grudge against them. I apologize. I was just letting him know you dont have to drop a few hundred dollars to catch fish or learn to fish with a flyrod thats all. Remark removed again I apologize.

Max you dont need too apologize at all. Your EXACTLY right you dont NEED anything but a safety pin and a stick to catch any fish in the state. You dont NEED anything but a Homemade bow, some straight stick and some stone broadheads to kill a deer during archery and you DONT need anything but a .30 caliber flintlock to kill a deer during firearms season either. I dont care what anyone uses to kill deer or turkey. I could care less that Dr Dickle fishes tournaments with that gay guy Tennessee Todd... Just get tired of getting knocked for my choice of equipment.

#1211113 - 03/02/09 08:00 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: 7mm08]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 7mm08
Capt. Hook,
Sage..... Come on now. You know they are overrated. Better than Horvis, but IMO overrated for my dollar. They also only replace the section of the rod broken, unlike my favorite rods...Loomis who replace the entire rod without questions asked.

I own three Loomis rods. I loan out my Sage to beginners to striper fish with, I don't loan out my Loomis rods. If Scott had not been so stuck on Sage he might have still been in business. TFO are great for beginnners. They have no idea for how to load a rod, or let alone cast, so why spend tons of money on one?

The last TFO I bought for my son was $130 and I bought that Hobbs creek reel that I mentioned. That kid can outcast just about anyone on the Clinch, and I will put money on that statement.

NHill. If you want to go this spring let me know. I will meet you, take you to the Clinch and let you try the rod I am talking about. Just PM me and see if you can get TVA to cut the water so we can fish. OK?

Nhill I hear ole 7mm is a pretty good fly angler and he has taken the time to help me on some choices for striper lines... better jump at his offer.

Edited by Fordman (03/02/09 08:14 PM)

#1211134 - 03/02/09 08:13 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: 7mm08]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 7mm08
Capt. Hook,

Sorry but I gotta agree with knothead (captain hook) on the sage choice.... The good news is I just figured out why Cpt hooks head is not in those pictures.... apparently arrogance makes his head swell and it just wont fit.....

#1211259 - 03/02/09 09:24 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
birddoginQ
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN

The TFO recommendation is definitely the ticket. I fish both TFO and st. croix and love both of them. Both have high end rods but the meat of their selections are drastically lower than other aforementioned brands. And I (like others who have commented on their experience) fish alot, or help others fish alot, and only guide with high end rods. No matter where you buy the rod or what you get stay with it. It can be frustrating (especially if you forgo the guide and casting lesson) but you will get it. Alot of casting a fly rod is counterintuitive. For instance, the harder I cast....the farther it will go...not so. And along with that each rod is different. Pay attention to small things not only when you are learning but throughout your time with a fly rod. You will learn (maybe) we flyfish not for the rod, or the reel, or the size of the fish we catch, or the systems we use, or......... We flyfish for the experience. A fisherman progresses in his/her carrier. Learning, catching, catching the most, catching the biggest, catching the hard to catch, and so on. But if you truly want to enjoy what ever equipment you buy, learn to enjoy using it. PM me if you want to get together. I would be more than happy to help

#1211572 - 03/03/09 05:12 AM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: Fordman
 Originally Posted By: Scott61
I'm fortunate to have learned to fly fish from my father . He was a great mentor and awesome fly fisherman. No , I'm no expert , but some of my fondest fishing memories where with my father, when we just had a flyrod fishing for gills on the beds .
Dad didn't talk about top dollar equipment , but re-enforced good technique through example. He has caught everything from bream ,bass, steelhead, and grayling , to Tarpon.
Many of you guys would probably laugh at the fiberglass flyrod and automatic reel he gave me more than 30 years ago , but it has a special meaning to me because of the memories it brings back.
Like hunting ,fly fishing doesn't have to become complicated . Just the simple enjoyment of being on the water , and sharing it with loved ones or good friends is what really matters.

Dont worry Scott, Im with you on this one. Dad taught himself with a cheap fiberglass and taught me with one. I still use it, the cheap ole Pflueger has served me well 15 years..hows that for quality? Caught everything from 3 and 4 lb river smallies to trout to BIG ole carp on it. I spin fish way more than flyfish but when I use it, it always brings back memories. Dont let anyone on here tell you that you need $200+ to get started in flyfishing. Alot of these guys are just Orvis fly only fanboys no matter how much they try to hide it...dang Im sounding too much like Tubby Tubs I gotta stop posting for awhile.

I am not trying to pick a fight here but why is it a fisherman can own the best casting rods, high dollar reels, a 40K plus boat and literally thousands in terminal tackle and thats just fishing. Yet let a flyfisherman post and I have to hear the bullshite about orvis boys? SO freaking what that I like to use the best equipment I can afford. How is my 600 dollar sage z axis any different that a 600 dollar bow or a 600 dollar rifle? Someone please tell me why a person who is serious about fly fishing has be be poked in the eye by some of you.
I have a thompson A vice my father used to tie flies on when I was a kid. Do I use it? About once a year when I take a trip down memory lane. I choose to tie on a "high dollar" vice for two reasons. First its a better vice and second because I freaking want to.
As far as rods go... I fish at the minimum a 100 days a year on my own plus another 50 as a guide. That fact alone negates the issue of price on a rod, all I want it Quality. Sometimes quality costs more and I am fine with that. What I am getting sick of is that fact that everytime there is a decent thread about flyfishing on this site some jackleg has to pop in about how ineffective fly fishing is or how its a rich mans sport. Well those same people are the ones with 600 dollar bows, 40K boats, and 1k rifles. Its all about what you love so why do some of you look hard in the mirror before you knock a fly angler because he uses good equipment.

I don't own a $40,000 boat, nor the best of any other fishing equipment . I get by with allot of mid price tackle. My post was stated to emphasize the fact that everyone is different and should buy what suits their needs within their budget.
A beginning bowhunter doesn't need to go out and spend a fortune on a top end bow, but they do need to get one that fits them and their budget. I bought a bow off ebay last year for less than $300. I killed 5 deer with it.The archer makes the bow shoot, like the fisherman who makes the cast with the proper presentation.
Fly fishing is no different than any other aspect of fishing. I don't look down on the guy using the Zebco 202 while fishing with his son .I look up to him for sharing the experience with his son. My dad did the same with me. That was my whole point on the previous post.
I have said this about bowhunting , but I think it applies here as well . Promote the sport , not your choice of equipment. ;\) Be a mentor to others getting into the sport, especially the young fishermen.

#1211580 - 03/03/09 05:28 AM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Nhill]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

Hey Nhill. I've spent many days fishing up in your area, especially Little River all through the park. If you just wanna test the waters with fly fishing, just get a cheap combo kit. Something that you would get at Wal-Mart in a package for about $20. Belive me, that's all you need to fish those rivers and it will be a great thermometer for you to see if you like it or not. BTW those folks at LRO are great, but for now I would stik with dirt cheap then move up to something a little nicer with a lifetime warranty.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (Prowler, rastubbs, JAY B, KubotaM4900, Great White Stalker, Master Chief, 1 invisible) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93343 Topics
1089911 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.161 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.