Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1210776 - 03/02/09 04:27 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Nhill]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Nhill,
Is Wynn's sporting goods in Maryville still in business? I bought my first Fenwick fly rods from them back in 88.

#1210779 - 03/02/09 04:28 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: go_okfishin]
Nhill
8 Point

Loc: Maryville, TN

No, they went out of business maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
#1210784 - 03/02/09 04:30 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Nhill]
go_okfishin
6 Point

That s***s. They were a great local sporting goods store.

#1210786 - 03/02/09 04:32 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: gil1]
7mm08
12 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Next year will be 30 years of fly fishing only. I trout, bass, striper, redfish, seatrout mostly.

I am also the greatest abuser of flyfishing equipment. I have fallen on more rods and broken them than most guys will ever own.

Go buy a Temple Fork Outfitters...TFO 9ft 5wt rod. Light enough for trout, heavy enough(stiff), for smallies. 6wt is too stiff for lighter tippet. Cost about 200 buck.

Next, go to Bass Pro and buy a Hobbs Creek reel for a 5wt. Get them to load it up with backing and put the line on. That reel is about 40 bucks. I have landed stripers over 20# with the old one I have, and redfish greater than 10#. Cheap but they work. I no longer use them because i have gotten a little more cash now and spend a little more for equipment.

Good LUck

#1210790 - 03/02/09 04:34 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: go_okfishin]
Nhill
8 Point

Loc: Maryville, TN

We really haven't had a good all around sporting goods store in Maryville since. Well, Dicks just built a store a few months ago, but I hate Dicks, small selection and high prices. There are some gun shops and fishing shops, but nothing like Wynns was.
#1210854 - 03/02/09 05:44 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: ]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Dang, Captain good thing your not a comedian cause you sure know how to silence a room. \:D \:D \:D

#1210858 - 03/02/09 05:46 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: ]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I'm fortunate to have learned to fly fish from my father . He was a great mentor and awesome fly fisherman. No , I'm no expert , but some of my fondest fishing memories where with my father, when we just had a flyrod fishing for gills on the beds .
Dad didn't talk about top dollar equipment , but re-enforced good technique through example. He has caught everything from bream ,bass, steelhead, and grayling , to Tarpon.
Many of you guys would probably laugh at the fiberglass flyrod and automatic reel he gave me more than 30 years ago , but it has a special meaning to me because of the memories it brings back.
Like hunting ,fly fishing doesn't have to become complicated . Just the simple enjoyment of being on the water , and sharing it with loved ones or good friends is what really matters.

#1210864 - 03/02/09 05:50 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: B.D.]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
...I do not like Bass Pro rods because the warranty sucks...

bd

I currently have 11 fly rods in the house, ranging from an old Eagle Claw fiberglass to Orvis Rocky Mountain, Browning, 4 different Bass Pro, a Courtland, and a TFO. Granted, none (except maybe the Orvis) retailed for over $200, but all have served me well.

I also recommend going the fly shop route for beginners (save them all the learning pains I went through over the last 45 years of fly fishing).

What I don't understand is the above comment about Bass Pro's warranty. I've only returned one Orvis reel and some Cortland line that I didn't like the feel of, and BPS took them back no questions asked. I have a good friend that broke the tip on his Bass Pro White River rod by carrying it strapped on the back of a motorcycle (without using a rod case) and they replaced it with a brand new rod, no questions, even though my buddy had no receipt for the rod.

How can you get better warranty service than that?

(Note I said Warranty Service. Many times I've gone in there and the salesman didn't know anything about the products I was inquiring about.)

#1210919 - 03/02/09 06:13 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: jakeway]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

While I can't vouch for Bass pro fly rods , I have owned several of their baitcasting rods without a problem with any of them .
I will also mention that Bass Pro Shops are a sponsor and supporter of tndeer , and gave out many door prizes at the vous . I like to support local businesses if there are any in the area , but I will also support the sponsors of this website too . They help pay the bills to keep the website up and allow us to share information on these forums.
Note the BPS banner at the top of the page . ;\)

#1210949 - 03/02/09 06:17 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Radar]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: Scott61
I'm fortunate to have learned to fly fish from my father . He was a great mentor and awesome fly fisherman. No , I'm no expert , but some of my fondest fishing memories where with my father, when we just had a flyrod fishing for gills on the beds .
Dad didn't talk about top dollar equipment , but re-enforced good technique through example. He has caught everything from bream ,bass, steelhead, and grayling , to Tarpon.
Many of you guys would probably laugh at the fiberglass flyrod and automatic reel he gave me more than 30 years ago , but it has a special meaning to me because of the memories it brings back.
Like hunting ,fly fishing doesn't have to become complicated . Just the simple enjoyment of being on the water , and sharing it with loved ones or good friends is what really matters.

Dont worry Scott, Im with you on this one. Dad taught himself with a cheap fiberglass and taught me with one. I still use it, the cheap ole Pflueger has served me well 15 years..hows that for quality? Caught everything from 3 and 4 lb river smallies to trout to BIG ole carp on it. I spin fish way more than flyfish but when I use it, it always brings back memories. Dont let anyone on here tell you that you need $200+ to get started in flyfishing.

Edited by MaxD (03/02/09 07:41 PM)

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi, Brad1
13550 Registered Users
Who's Online
132 registered (ADR, Gunner308, Master Chief, turk870, Still-n-Quiet, BuckHunter511, 6 invisible) and 216 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13550 Members
42 Forums
99301 Topics
1168168 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.075 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.