Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1210712 - 03/02/09 03:46 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: gil1]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: gil1
Even though I use sink tips and intermediate sinking lines too, full sinking lines play a part in my arsenal. I don't really enjoy streamer fishing anyway (mostly because of a shoulder injury). But I use them often when I toss streamers.

I love them for stripers (in the winter only). I love them in deep holes for trout (like on the Cumberland River). I love them in deep, fast rivers for smallies when they won't hit in the top few feet of the water column. I love them for skipjacks at the steam plant (when the water is rolling, the intermediates won't get down far enough to get even a single bite).

On the other hand, I much prefer a floating line if I can get away with it.

On the rod thing, I like to tell them at the shop what I'm fishing for in what conditions and what I can spend. They pick rods for me to cast. I try out rods without looking at the price or the manufacturer.

Often, I'll pick a rod that is medium to low cost. I assume it's because my stroke is not sophisticated enough to recognize the innovative technologies of the more expensive rods.

For some reason, I have a $100 Cabelas travel rod that I can cast much better than a $500 Sage in the same weight. That certainly doesn't mean that Sage is bettere than Cabelas. it just means my casting style fits one and not the other. I have other Sages that cast great.

I usually buy rods with full warranties because I have broken almost every rod I own (never once on a fish). I always buy from the shops, not over the net for the reasons others stated.

Very good advise Gil .

#1210739 - 03/02/09 04:07 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Radar]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Sorry - I really didn't mean to turn that into as big an argument as I made it.

bd

#1210769 - 03/02/09 04:24 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: B.D.]
Nhill
8 Point

Loc: Maryville, TN

Thanks for all the advice. I had no idea where to start, and I am all for buying local, so I think I will go to little river and try some out. I like to fish for trout, but I will probably do more small mouth fishing in the rivers than anything.

Brian, don't worry about turning it into an argument. That is when a lot of viewpoints and opinions come out.

#1210776 - 03/02/09 04:27 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Nhill]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Nhill,
Is Wynn's sporting goods in Maryville still in business? I bought my first Fenwick fly rods from them back in 88.

#1210779 - 03/02/09 04:28 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: go_okfishin]
Nhill
8 Point

No, they went out of business maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
#1210784 - 03/02/09 04:30 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Nhill]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

That s***s. They were a great local sporting goods store.

#1210786 - 03/02/09 04:32 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: gil1]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

content Online
Next year will be 30 years of fly fishing only. I trout, bass, striper, redfish, seatrout mostly.

I am also the greatest abuser of flyfishing equipment. I have fallen on more rods and broken them than most guys will ever own.

Go buy a Temple Fork Outfitters...TFO 9ft 5wt rod. Light enough for trout, heavy enough(stiff), for smallies. 6wt is too stiff for lighter tippet. Cost about 200 buck.

Next, go to Bass Pro and buy a Hobbs Creek reel for a 5wt. Get them to load it up with backing and put the line on. That reel is about 40 bucks. I have landed stripers over 20# with the old one I have, and redfish greater than 10#. Cheap but they work. I no longer use them because i have gotten a little more cash now and spend a little more for equipment.

Good LUck

#1210790 - 03/02/09 04:34 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: go_okfishin]
Nhill
8 Point

We really haven't had a good all around sporting goods store in Maryville since. Well, Dicks just built a store a few months ago, but I hate Dicks, small selection and high prices. There are some gun shops and fishing shops, but nothing like Wynns was.
#1210798 - 03/02/09 04:42 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: JimFromTN]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: JimFromTN
I'm no expert and to tell you the truth, you probably should not listen to an expert, especially one in a fly shop. Fly shops are good because they do often give casting lessons and they carry things that you can't get anywhere else like tippets, flies, and the goop you put on your dry flies to keep them afloat. I think that casting lessons would be a better investment than the $600 rod they are going to tell you that you absolutely need not to mention the $300 reel and the hundreds of dollars worth of fly line, tippets, and various other things. I have been fly fishing since I was about 9 yrs old and I am now in my early forties. I fished over 20 years with an 8 ft 5 wt fiberglas flyrod my father made me. I fished the Galitin river in Montana with it when I was 18. It worked just fine. You can go out and get a nice graphite flyrod in the $60 to $100 range that will work just fine for a beginner. You will end up spending almost as much for the reel if not more. Yes, you will eventually want to buy another rod. Thats part of getting into fishing regardless of the method you use. There is no fly rod that is great for everything just like there is no spinning rod that will suit all your needs.

For a starter rod, I would get an 8' rod in the 5 to 6 wt range. You could go shorter and lighter if you want. Get a reel with 2 spools. One for floating line and one for sinking line. Get a good variety of tippets.

If you have access to a boat, one of the best ways to learn to cast a fly is to go out to an open lake when the may flys are hatching and throw some poppers for blue gill.

Having been around those guys that work in Shops in Nashville as well as here in Knoxville I can say with 100% certainty there isn't a bigger load of BS in the world then what is above. Period.

You are making suggestions of rod lengths without considering a tenth of where he is wishing to fish, what he intends to use, or how he intends to use it.

#1210800 - 03/02/09 04:46 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: 7mm08]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: 7mm08
Next year will be 30 years of fly fishing only. I trout, bass, striper, redfish, seatrout mostly.

I am also the greatest abuser of flyfishing equipment. I have fallen on more rods and broken them than most guys will ever own.

Go buy a Temple Fork Outfitters...TFO 9ft 5wt rod. Light enough for trout, heavy enough(stiff), for smallies. 6wt is too stiff for lighter tippet. Cost about 200 buck.

Next, go to Bass Pro and buy a Hobbs Creek reel for a 5wt. Get them to load it up with backing and put the line on. That reel is about 40 bucks. I have landed stripers over 20# with the old one I have, and redfish greater than 10#. Cheap but they work. I no longer use them because i have gotten a little more cash now and spend a little more for equipment.

Good LUck

Allright 7mm08, you know we have been on the water enough together over the years that I usually will go along with anything you say.

HOWEVER \:D , not this time. The new Sage intro's are a much better rod for the money then the TFO IMO. I had some clients last year that had the rod you speak of, and it was not anything close to the batallion of Launch series sages I have for clients to use. It is so unresponsive that they had a real issue mending and pushing indicators into the wind.

Now on the reel, as a beginner not anything to worry about IMO. Now after a year or so and a few lost fish due to no drag maybe an upgrade.

First lesson, visit your local shop. It is 10 minutes from Maryville. Get some pointers, and support your local business or one day they won't be there and the convenience factor is gone. JMHO from someone who lost their local shop due to mail order.

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
87 registered (Recoil, JACO0334, Dale3, jman 125, Buckykm1, Master Chief, 9 invisible) and 153 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85412 Topics
1032019 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.225 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.