Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1210433 - 03/02/09 02:17 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I have bought several bass fishing rods from both BPS and Cabelas and never had a problem with the rods or the service .
I don't think fly rods are any different to me . It's just another way to present a lure. I think the original poster was just looking for a simple setup to get started with without breaking the bank.

#1210444 - 03/02/09 02:23 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Radar]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Originally Posted By: Scott61
I have bought several bass fishing rods from both BPS and Cabelas and never had a problem with the rods or the service .
I don't think fly rods are any different to me . It's just another way to present a lure. I think the original poster was just looking for a simple setup to get started with without breaking the bank.

Scott I sgree my point was to SHOP LOCALLY if at all possible.

#1210456 - 03/02/09 02:39 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Nhill]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Gil's advice is good.

For trout and river smallies, you probably want to go with a 9 foot 5wt or 6wt rod. The choice on weight depends on which fish you'll go after most. If you think you'll go trout fishing more, go with the 5 wt. If you think you'll be after smallies more, go with the 6 wt. A 5wt rod will land any smallie in the world. However, if you smallmouth fish a lot you will be throwing some bigger poppers and streamers, and the big flies will be easier to cast with a bit heavier rod.

As far as rod length, I would go with a 9 foot. You just really don't gain much "accessibility" from a short rod on small rivers. Even a short flyrod is 7 ft, and two feet of length doesn't really make that much difference when you've got 30 feet of line out behind you on a backcast. In fact, the long rod can actually be an advantage in tight quarters sometimes, because it's easier to roll cast once you get the hang of it.

I do not like Bass Pro rods because the warranty sucks. Fly rods tend to be very long with very fine tips, which increases the likelihood of breaking a tip off a rod. It's worth the money to go with a manufacturer that offers a "no questions asked" warranty where you can send the rod back and get it replaced for a nominal charge if you break it. The Sage Launch is a nice rod for a couple hundred bucks. Temple Fork and Redington both have some nice rods between $100 and $200. Buyer beware on fly rods under $100 - especially the Bass Pro ones. Like you said, you'll regret buying a "cheap" one (fly rods tend to be more expensive than conventional gear).

Whatever you get, get it from a local shop instead of online or at a big box. The advice and guidance you get will be worth the effort, and the prices really aren't that much different.

Finally, to Captain Hook - sinking lines aren't for beginners, but if you don't use one regularly, you're missing out. Streamers for big trout and stripers - 'nuff said.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (03/02/09 02:45 PM)

#1210467 - 03/02/09 02:46 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: B.D.]
Radar
Non-Typical

http://www.best-fly-fishing-gear.com/fly-rods-llbean.html

#1210513 - 03/02/09 03:09 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: B.D.]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

I agree with BD on this. Longer rod good, bass pro warranty bad, 6wt if more small mouth fishing, 5wt if more trout.

I like temple fork and redington rods also and I have been at it for 28 years. I think the TFO singature is better in the 5wt than the 6wt, I have both, the 5wt is less stiff, but both will work. Click on the links to see the rods and WARRANTIES. I have a redington RS3 4wt that is all I fish with for trout, stick with a 5 or 6wt for your first rod.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/signature.html#T

http://www.redington.com/cat.php?k=50169

Look for rod, reel, line packages and save a few bucks.

Line:
To start get a floating line in the style DT (double taper) or WF (weight forward) I lean towards the WF, you can load the rod better (cast a little more easily.) Buy a line rated for your rods weight, 5 wt rod, get 5 wt line. You do not need to worry about sinking lines, tips or any of that "stuff" right now. Probably better to spend more money here if you can afford it. The lines will last longer and float better longer, but no need to spend more than $80.

Reel:
Get the cheapest reel that will hold the line you buy and 50-100 yards of backing. 20 or 30# dacron. All flylines are rated for 30lb breaking strength so don't get heavier than 30lb backing. You do not need a reel with a adjustable drag, a clicker reel will work just fine. The reel is the least important piece of equipment in fly fishing. Pick one up at a garage sale, that's shopping locally I think.

Buying more expensive gear is like buying more expensive cars...you may get something more, but a lot of the markup is for the name, when all you need to do is get from point a to point b. IMO.

#1210558 - 03/02/09 03:22 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Radar]
B.D.
8 Point

We get your point, Scott - you really like Cabela's and don't see the sense in going to a local shop. \:\)

Here's the thing: For what Nhill is trying to do, the ideal rod models from Cabela's would be the LST or the PT+. A 9' 5wt LST will set him back $175, and a PT+ will cost $195. Now, Cabela's has cheaper rods available, but they are garbage. If you buy a $50 fly rod from Cabelas or anywhere else, it's going to be noodly, not cast well, and it will start falling apart if you use it like a serious fisherman (line guide wraps coming unglued and stuff like that). Trust me, been there, done that.

You were implying that buying online/big box would be a lot cheaper than shopping locally, but it isn't so. Their quality gear costs about the same, and you don't get the added benefit of being able to cast the rod before you buy it to make sure it fits you, you don't get help matching the rod to a good reel within your budget, etc.

I will tell you this, too: If I'm going to spend $175 or less on a flyrod, I would buy a Temple Fork or Redington any day before I would buy a Cabela's rod. Better quality for the price.

bd

#1210685 - 03/02/09 03:34 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: B.D.]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan

We get your point, Scott - you really like Cabela's and don't see the sense in going to a local shop. \:\)

Here's the thing: For what Nhill is trying to do, the ideal rod models from Cabela's would be the LST or the PT+. A 9' 5wt LST will set him back $175, and a PT+ will cost $195. Now, Cabela's has cheaper rods available, but they are garbage. If you buy a $50 fly rod from Cabelas or anywhere else, it's going to be noodly, not cast well, and it will start falling apart if you use it like a serious fisherman (line guide wraps coming unglued and stuff like that). Trust me, been there, done that.

You were implying that buying online/big box would be a lot cheaper than shopping locally, but it isn't so. Their quality gear costs about the same, and you don't get the added benefit of being able to cast the rod before you buy it to make sure it fits you, you don't get help matching the rod to a good reel within your budget, etc.

I will tell you this, too: If I'm going to spend $175 or less on a flyrod, I would buy a Temple Fork or Redington any day before I would buy a Cabela's rod. Better quality for the price.

bd

I would buy at a local flyshop , but have no local flyshops in my area ,and I'm not driving an hour to Nashville . Sorry to offend the fly fishing purists with my purchase from Cabelas ,but I'm temporarily laid off and on a tight budget.

#1210712 - 03/02/09 03:46 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: gil1]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: gil1
Even though I use sink tips and intermediate sinking lines too, full sinking lines play a part in my arsenal. I don't really enjoy streamer fishing anyway (mostly because of a shoulder injury). But I use them often when I toss streamers.

I love them for stripers (in the winter only). I love them in deep holes for trout (like on the Cumberland River). I love them in deep, fast rivers for smallies when they won't hit in the top few feet of the water column. I love them for skipjacks at the steam plant (when the water is rolling, the intermediates won't get down far enough to get even a single bite).

On the other hand, I much prefer a floating line if I can get away with it.

On the rod thing, I like to tell them at the shop what I'm fishing for in what conditions and what I can spend. They pick rods for me to cast. I try out rods without looking at the price or the manufacturer.

Often, I'll pick a rod that is medium to low cost. I assume it's because my stroke is not sophisticated enough to recognize the innovative technologies of the more expensive rods.

For some reason, I have a $100 Cabelas travel rod that I can cast much better than a $500 Sage in the same weight. That certainly doesn't mean that Sage is bettere than Cabelas. it just means my casting style fits one and not the other. I have other Sages that cast great.

I usually buy rods with full warranties because I have broken almost every rod I own (never once on a fish). I always buy from the shops, not over the net for the reasons others stated.

Very good advise Gil .

#1210739 - 03/02/09 04:07 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Radar]
B.D.
8 Point

Sorry - I really didn't mean to turn that into as big an argument as I made it.

bd

#1210769 - 03/02/09 04:24 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: B.D.]
Nhill
8 Point

Loc: Maryville, TN

Thanks for all the advice. I had no idea where to start, and I am all for buying local, so I think I will go to little river and try some out. I like to fish for trout, but I will probably do more small mouth fishing in the rivers than anything.

Brian, don't worry about turning it into an argument. That is when a lot of viewpoints and opinions come out.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (WG Taxidermist, ml4378, ruthunter, remke, TnKen, Brownitsdown10) and 87 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.