Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1209833 - 03/02/09 08:55 AM Intro to fly fishing
Nhill
8 Point

Loc: Maryville, TN

I have wanted to get into fly fishing for a couple of years now, and I think I am ready to dive in. Basically I want to be able to fly fish for trout, river smallies, and such. I really don't know what to look for in a fly rod. I want to get the cheapest one that I can, but I don't want to have to buy another one in a month or two because I regretted getting the cheap one. Like I said, I don't know what to look for, but I don't think that I would want a real long rod for accessibility reasons in small rivers.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks

#1209841 - 03/02/09 09:02 AM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Nhill]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Originally Posted By: Nhill
I have wanted to get into fly fishing for a couple of years now, and I think I am ready to dive in. Basically I want to be able to fly fish for trout, river smallies, and such. I really don't know what to look for in a fly rod. I want to get the cheapest one that I can, but I don't want to have to buy another one in a month or two because I regretted getting the cheap one. Like I said, I don't know what to look for, but I don't think that I would want a real long rod for accessibility reasons in small rivers.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks

A good rod does not have to cost an arm and a leg.... just a leg..lol Look at Echo rods they retail for about 279 and carry a lifetime warrenty, have two tips a fast and a slow. If your looking to save dollars you can cut costs on a reel. Dont pinch pennies on the rod or the line. Look at the Rio series of lines. I like them because I get several seasons out of them. If your actually new and have not done it before I would strongly suggest two things. First take a casting lesson at your local fly shop. Its easier to learn right from the get go then to go back and try to forget bad habits you developed. Second book a day with a guide. You can learn volumes ffrom a good guide in a single day.

#1209871 - 03/02/09 09:20 AM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I ordered a nice outfit from Cabela's yesterday . Check out the Wind River series .BPS also has the White River series that is a good outfit for beginners and novice fly fishermen .

#1209883 - 03/02/09 09:26 AM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Radar]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Scott61
I ordered a nice outfit from Cabela's yesterday . Check out the Wind River series .BPS also has the White River series that is a good outfit for beginners and novice fly fishermen .

If your only throwing a floating line they would be good. The thing most folks dont understand is that casting a 200+ grain sinking line and a weighted fly takes a rod with backbone. I am not saying those rods wont do it as I have never fishied them. I personally prefer a rod that can pick up a 250 or 300 grain sinking head and then I know for a fact it will throw a floating lilne a country mile.

#1209887 - 03/02/09 09:26 AM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
Fordman
12 Point

Additionally.... flyfishing is like archery..... support your local fly (pro) shops every chance you get!
#1209902 - 03/02/09 09:33 AM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: Fordman
 Originally Posted By: Scott61

If your only throwing a floating line they would be good. The thing most folks dont understand is that casting a 200+ grain sinking line and a weighted fly takes a rod with backbone. I am not saying those rods wont do it as I have never fishied them. I personally prefer a rod that can pick up a 250 or 300 grain sinking head and then I know for a fact it will throw a floating lilne a country mile.

I understand . I just can't afford a high dollar setup right now . ;\) I'll be throwing a 9' 8 wt. rod for smallies and hybrid stripers .

#1210224 - 03/02/09 12:08 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: ]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
I can think of no reason to throw a sinking line of any kind other then an intermediate in this area. Of course what do I know...

On the rods, go to Little River and cast some rods. The only way to find a rod which fits you and will be comfortable and be easy for you to learn on is to go try them out. Also you can pick up some free casting tips as well.

Mail ordering equipment is killing the small business's like LRO and others. Where you can go get hands on advice from locals any day of the week.

Don't randomly order rods, it is a recipe for failure. But what do I know...

Let me clarify for you... sink tips.... Guess I should have been real clear on this board with all the experts and all.

#1210286 - 03/02/09 12:46 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Even though I use sink tips and intermediate sinking lines too, full sinking lines play a part in my arsenal. I don't really enjoy streamer fishing anyway (mostly because of a shoulder injury). But I use them often when I toss streamers.

I love them for stripers (in the winter only). I love them in deep holes for trout (like on the Cumberland River). I love them in deep, fast rivers for smallies when they won't hit in the top few feet of the water column. I love them for skipjacks at the steam plant (when the water is rolling, the intermediates won't get down far enough to get even a single bite).

On the other hand, I much prefer a floating line if I can get away with it.

On the rod thing, I like to tell them at the shop what I'm fishing for in what conditions and what I can spend. They pick rods for me to cast. I try out rods without looking at the price or the manufacturer.

Often, I'll pick a rod that is medium to low cost. I assume it's because my stroke is not sophisticated enough to recognize the innovative technologies of the more expensive rods.

For some reason, I have a $100 Cabelas travel rod that I can cast much better than a $500 Sage in the same weight. That certainly doesn't mean that Cabelas is better than Sage. It just means my casting style fits one and not the other. I have other Sages that cast great.

I usually buy rods with full warranties because I have broken almost every rod I own (never once on a fish). I always buy from the shops, not over the net for the reasons others stated.

Edited by gil1 (03/02/09 03:53 PM)
Edit Reason: screwup

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1210363 - 03/02/09 01:41 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: ]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm no expert and to tell you the truth, you probably should not listen to an expert, especially one in a fly shop. Fly shops are good because they do often give casting lessons and they carry things that you can't get anywhere else like tippets, flies, and the goop you put on your dry flies to keep them afloat. I think that casting lessons would be a better investment than the $600 rod they are going to tell you that you absolutely need not to mention the $300 reel and the hundreds of dollars worth of fly line, tippets, and various other things. I have been fly fishing since I was about 9 yrs old and I am now in my early forties. I fished over 20 years with an 8 ft 5 wt fiberglas flyrod my father made me. I fished the Galitin river in Montana with it when I was 18. It worked just fine. You can go out and get a nice graphite flyrod in the $60 to $100 range that will work just fine for a beginner. You will end up spending almost as much for the reel if not more. Yes, you will eventually want to buy another rod. Thats part of getting into fishing regardless of the method you use. There is no fly rod that is great for everything just like there is no spinning rod that will suit all your needs.

For a starter rod, I would get an 8' rod in the 5 to 6 wt range. You could go shorter and lighter if you want. Get a reel with 2 spools. One for floating line and one for sinking line. Get a good variety of tippets.

If you have access to a boat, one of the best ways to learn to cast a fly is to go out to an open lake when the may flys are hatching and throw some poppers for blue gill.

#1210399 - 03/02/09 01:55 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: JimFromTN]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: JimFromTN
I'm no expert and to tell you the truth, you probably should not listen to an expert, especially one in a fly shop. Fly shops are good because they do often give casting lessons and they carry things that you can't get anywhere else like tippets, flies, and the goop you put on your dry flies to keep them afloat. I think that casting lessons would be a better investment than the $600 rod they are going to tell you that you absolutely need not to mention the $300 reel and the hundreds of dollars worth of fly line, tippets, and various other things. I have been fly fishing since I was about 9 yrs old and I am now in my early forties. I fished over 20 years with an 8 ft 5 wt fiberglas flyrod my father made me. I fished the Galitin river in Montana with it when I was 18. It worked just fine. You can go out and get a nice graphite flyrod in the $60 to $100 range that will work just fine for a beginner. You will end up spending almost as much for the reel if not more. Yes, you will eventually want to buy another rod. Thats part of getting into fishing regardless of the method you use. There is no fly rod that is great for everything just like there is no spinning rod that will suit all your needs.

For a starter rod, I would get an 8' rod in the 5 to 6 wt range. You could go shorter and lighter if you want. Get a reel with 2 spools. One for floating line and one for sinking line. Get a good variety of tippets.

If you have access to a boat, one of the best ways to learn to cast a fly is to go out to an open lake when the may flys are hatching and throw some poppers for blue gill.

Dont know which nashville shop you have seen try to put a novice into a 600.00 rod but the shop I use would never do that. THere are starter kids from 50.00 to infinity availible. He can go to a fly shop and actually cast the set up and see what he thinks. Right now you can get the redington to sage kits between 199 and 399. Thats rod,line, and reel.
A Fly Shop is like a archery pro shop. You run out tonight and test cast a BPS or cabelas rod and get back to us on the service you got....
And an 5/6 would be great for trout/panfish/ creek and stream angling but a 7 or an 8 would be more univeral for all the opportunities we have here in Tennessee. Since the origional poster is from East tn I would highly recommend he visit Little River outfitters and cast as many rods in his price range as he can.
A fly shop will be able to get you the right size tippets to ccomodate the type fishing you will be doing. Trying to learn to fly fish without a mentor or a good local flyshop is very hard to do. Since the guy is in East Tennessee I would say he could PM 7mm-08 and maybe get some very useful localized information.

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (Vermin93, RKenney, T.J., Planking, Bullydog, ruger7mag) and 49 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89172 Topics
1042828 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.295 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.