Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 7 « First<34567
Topic Options
#1215351 - 03/04/09 12:35 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: jakeway]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: jakeway

You will enjoy the sport exponentially more if you get lightweight quality equipment.

Amen, especially on the "quality" part. You don't have to buy a $700 rod by any stretch of the imagination, but there's a world of difference in performance between a $50 rod and a $150 one. Same goes for conventional tackle, really.

bd

#1215747 - 03/04/09 04:36 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: B.D.]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I'm very happy with the Cabelas rod I received today. I spent some time in the yard practicing with it .

#1223966 - 03/08/09 02:25 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: JimFromTN]
TNFishnstix
Button

Loc: Nashville

[quote=JimFromTN

I don't mean to bash all fly shops and I am sorry that I offended anyone. I was in Cumberland Transit last year and when the guy found out I wasn't some stick up the backside fly fishing elitist, he wanted nothing to do with me. I was actually looking around for a good may fly immitation to use on lakes. I wanted something a better than a traditional popper. My father used to make me some good ones but he pasted away a few years back so I needed to find a new source. The guy had no interest in helping me. Apparently, he was too stuck up to help someone who wanted to fish for panfish. I've fly fished for salmon in AK, trout in Montana, redfish in Florida (hopefully someday Tarpon), and yes bluegill on KY Lake. I walked around there and looked at the flyrods. Do they carry anything under $250 to $300? [/quote]

JimfromTN, Number one, if you experienced anything like what you have mentioned at Cumberland Transit, I can assure you that it was not intentional and had nothing to do with what you fish for, what you fish with, or anything of that nature. And the apologies of the entire staff is extended. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service, and if you had in fact spent any time in the store you would see and understand that. As far as high priced rods, yes we have a few, but once again, if you took a good look around, and you did state that you looked at the rods, you would have seen a much wider selection in the TFO's, in the Cortlands, and the lower end rods than you did in the Orvis, or the Winstons or the bamboo that is displayed. We specialize in starter set ups and we advocate starting with what can be afforded rather than selling the high end rods. We also advocate going out and casting the rods with the customer so they can see, feel and experience the differences in fly rods prior to selection. Every customer gets asked tons of questions to help determine the appropriate rod/reel prior to selling them anything. Too, you will NEVER see anyone in the fly shop start at the top and sell down to the lower end. We do have customers come in looking for the higher end rods but that rarely happens with a beginner and even if it did, I would do my best to understand why they wanted to do that to begin with. I can assure you that Grumpy feels exactly the same way. Once again, our apologies are fully extended to you for any bad experience you may have had in our store, and we invite you back in for a "second look". Come in have a cup of coffee, and get to know us.

#1224522 - 03/08/09 08:26 PM Re: Intro to fly fishing [Re: Radar]
Fence Post
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Bluff City,Tn. USA

Originally Posted By: Scott61
I'm sitting here waiting for the UPS man to arrive with my new flyrod . I should be out in the yard in the next couple of hours flailing away with it . \:\)

Scott, wish we had touched on the flyfish subject at the 'vous before you ordered. I have slightly used Orvis gear littering up the garage....

Page 7 of 7 « First<34567

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
34 registered (bull, jar, El Jagermeister, 94user, leader, HuntNShoot, 5 invisible) and 100 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85593 Topics
1034244 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.217 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.