Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1206719 - 02/28/09 06:04 PM River Fly Fishing for Bass
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Somebody PMd me asking for advice. I gave it my best shot (below), but maybe you Yodas can hook a brudda up.

I can't say that it's my forte, but I'll tell you what I know. My favorite way on the rivers is for smallies. I find a long, deep run, usually with a bend and some decent current. I cast a heavily weighted fly line and a pretty big streamer - a Dahlberg Diver or Double bunny or a big, articulated (jointed) fly. I cast it across and up stream usually at the bend and let it sink into the deepest part of the pool.

Play with the retrieve. Let it dead-drift or slowly strip or strip as fast as you can. The fish will tell you what it likes. Another fly option is to try a floating fly like a muddler minnow or even long popper lures. The line sinks but the fly slowly floats to the surface after each strip. It's pretty tantalizing, and the baitcast guys have been doing it for decades with worms of varying buoyancies behind a sinker. It's simialr to Carolina rigging a worm.

All those tactics work on largemouth and spots (Kentucky bass)in the slow sections too.

One of my favorite tactics that I use more for bluegill and redeye is a "popper and dropper." Tie a nymph (like a size 12 pheasant tail or hare's ear - anything generic) about 18 inches behind a popping bug. Tie it to the bend of the hook. Again, play with the retrieve. Often the best bites are from dead-drifting if you can stand it. Often, the fish is attracted to the popper but doesn't want to hit the surface, so he hits the nymph.

For bass, pick a large popper or big-azz foam fly like a beetle or cicada or grasshopper. Drop a big nymph like a size 6 or 8 dragonfly nymph or helgrammite pattern or even just an olive wooly bugger off the back.

If I were to stress one key (no matter what species you are chasing), it would be depth. One of the rerasons we fly flingers don't catch as many big bass as the conventional guys is that they can get deep quick. Sometimes, bass will annihilate a surface fly. Most of the time, however, the big dawgs get big by hanging out close to the bottom and crushing big baits instead of our dinky little flies on the surface. So try a fast-sinking line like a Jim Teeny 350 grain line (or something similar) and try to dredge the bottom. If you get hung up, put a floating fly on there.

Man, I hope this works. You know, I know a bunch of guys like Fordman and Brian Dunigan and others that are much better at this stuff. I'm going to post this so you can get better answers. I'd like to learn, too because I mostly spinfish the smallie rivers.

Edited by gil1 (02/28/09 06:22 PM)
Edit Reason: clarifications

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1206944 - 02/28/09 08:27 PM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: gil1]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Great overall post -

Theres only 1 thing that gets me more excited than watching a bass blow up a buzzbait, and thats watching a smallie crush a topwater popper in later spring/summer.

If your strictly after smallies make sure first of all your in the right type of water. Like Gil said, largemouth & bluegill are going to be in the slower stuff. Smallies & rockbass are going to be in your rivers with cooler water / more current. Fish at the beginning and ends of eddies and deep pools. Cast into the current and let it drift into the pool giving it a twich every now and then (topwater).

If your fishing slower water just make sure you keep to the structure, even the deep undercuts in the banks. You'd be suprised how many big bass hang out under there during the day. I usually just stick with big poppers and foam bugs, but then again I'm a topwater smallie addict. This type of fishing doesnt get really hot n' heavy until later spring though. If your heading out here in early spring I would stick to more of Gil's gameplan with some of the deeper stuff.

Either way If your a newbie to river fly fishing for bass just be ready, your first 3lb smallie is liable to break your arm off

I also saw an another board last year a fly that some East TN guys were making called a "wiggle minnow"? Seemed to be pretty deadly. Not sure of the guy who makes em but I think he was selling em last and prob this year too - maybe someone else would know more about it....

Man 60+ degrees 3 straight days later this week, next weekend its gonna be on!

#1207014 - 02/28/09 08:45 PM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: madMax]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

I can't add much to these two posts. Popping bugs are great fun, but my experience is more and bigger bass are caught sub-surface. For smallies I like to use a stiff 8 ft 6 wt with Clousers, crayfish streamers, or BH Wooly Buggers. If I'm in a boat, I also have a 7 weight rigged with floating line and either a hair popper or a diver.

The fly Max is talking about is officially called Todd's Wiggle Minnow. You can Google them and see photos and how to tie them. I've got a couple, and they are a bit hard to fish. If you use a floating line they don't get much bellow the surface; if you use a sinking line, they dive so deep you can't hardly get them to the surface to re-cast with out retrieving all the line. But the bass dearly love them, so it's worth the hassle.

#1207475 - 03/01/09 04:18 AM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: ]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Good info , guys . I have been wanting to try my luck flyfishing for river smallies this year . I do some fly fishing for bream , and I'm not too serious about fly fishing . I would just like to offer a different presentation .
I'll probably stick to spinning gear for sub surface presentations and go with floating line and popping bugs for top water fishing . I might experiment with droppers as Gil mentioned .
I plan to upgrade my flyrod from my current fiberglass rod that dad gave me to something lighter (graphite) and easier to cast . I'm not going to spend a fortune on a high dollar rod , just something I can play around with on bream and bass .
Are the White River line of rods from Bass Pro any good for the price ?

#1207482 - 03/01/09 05:12 AM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: Radar]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

White river rods are very good.. I have used them for a couple years now for Salmon and Steelhead in New York State.. they have held up very good for me!
#1207754 - 03/01/09 10:09 AM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: ]
Radar
Non-Typical

Keep the info coming guys . I might experiment with a jig fly crawfish imitation for bottom fishing , but most of my presentations will be surface popping bugs or subsurface flies .

#1209747 - 03/02/09 08:22 AM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: Radar]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Gil, did you get that information from the great "Tubs (aka Buck Perry)"? Just kidding, a lot of good info in there.

#1209817 - 03/02/09 08:47 AM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: Headhunter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Gil, did you get that information from the great "Tubs (aka Buck Perry)"? Just kidding, a lot of good info in there.

Trust me. If ole Tartar Sauce reads this, he'll be pissed. You're not allowed to devote an entire thread to a method that only snobs and idiots choose to target baby fish in an ineffective way. Then, something about jewfish and jerkbaits and Buck Perry and shocking sucks and guides suck and you suck. But he'd be elated to be able to throw in "piscivorous!" \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1209825 - 03/02/09 08:50 AM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: Headhunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

I might have to barter with you fly fishing experts for some of these flies .:) Are you guys tying your own flies or buying them ? Any good online sources ?

#1209827 - 03/02/09 08:52 AM Re: River Fly Fishing for Bass [Re: Radar]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Scott PM me your addy and I will drop you a dozen of my patterns in the mail tomorrow.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308, TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1
13553 Registered Users
Who's Online
141 registered (Team Passintime, Buccaneer, Tn_Va_Hunter, Huntinnut, cw308, Viper (tp), 15 invisible) and 243 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13553 Members
42 Forums
99416 Topics
1169435 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.