Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

hard to believe it coulbd be 90%

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1199441 - 02/24/09 09:01 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kirk]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Something to think about:

How many of you have owned an aquarium? If you own an aquarium, you probably know there's an important step you have to do when you get a new fish for your tank. When you get the fish home, you don't just dump it in the aquarium. You take the plastic bag the fish is in, and you float it in the tank water for 20 or 30 minutes.

Why is this done? To equalize temperature. When you float the bag, the water in the bag gets closer to the temp of the water in the tank, so you don't shock your fish. If you just dump fish from a cold bag into a warm tank without equalizing temp, it will temperature shock them and a bunch of them will die. They don't die instantly, but the next day after you introduce them to the tank, you'll wake up to find some of your fish belly-up.

Now - what does this have to do with a summer bass tournament?

Think about a bass you catch in 20 feet of water. That bass is down around the thermocline, and he's probably in 68-70 degree water. You pull him to the surface, and you suddenly dump him into a livewell that's drawing surface water at 85 degrees.

What do you think you just did to that bass?

Like I said, just something to think about. If you're a hardcore tournament angler and you're serious about catch and release, it's not a bad idea to think about chilling your livewell a little bit.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/24/09 09:02 PM)

#1199539 - 02/24/09 09:44 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I chill mine with frozen 32 ounce "coke" plastic bottles. They last longer than bagged ice and don't super chill the water. They will usually drop the temp by about 20 degrees. I carry cooler with several of them in it. When one thaws out I throw in a fresh one.

I also use the Bass Medics Rejuvanade additive in the water. Helps witht eh slime coat and acts a calming agent. My live wells are also oxygenated and the fish are always lively at release.

#1199723 - 02/24/09 10:31 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kirk]
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

I dont know about statistics, but it seems that once tournaments start I can go to the boat ramp to fish the following day(usually a sunday) and dead bass are everywhere. Not just bass heads where someones cleaned them to eat. I would say that its most likely tournaments because I doubt anybody whos just out there to fish for fun catches fish, rides around with them in the livewell all day, and then takes them out around the boat ramp and puts em in the lake. Telico canal, ish creek, and bakers creek all look like a bass holocausts the day after tournaments. Its to bad cuz those are my favorite areas.

Edited by cbcs1987 (02/24/09 10:33 PM)

#1199732 - 02/24/09 10:34 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
Something to think about:

How many of you have owned an aquarium? If you own an aquarium, you probably know there's an important step you have to do when you get a new fish for your tank. When you get the fish home, you don't just dump it in the aquarium. You take the plastic bag the fish is in, and you float it in the tank water for 20 or 30 minutes.

Why is this done? To equalize temperature. When you float the bag, the water in the bag gets closer to the temp of the water in the tank, so you don't shock your fish. If you just dump fish from a cold bag into a warm tank without equalizing temp, it will temperature shock them and a bunch of them will die. They don't die instantly, but the next day after you introduce them to the tank, you'll wake up to find some of your fish belly-up.

Now - what does this have to do with a summer bass tournament?

Think about a bass you catch in 20 feet of water. That bass is down around the thermocline, and he's probably in 68-70 degree water. You pull him to the surface, and you suddenly dump him into a livewell that's drawing surface water at 85 degrees.

What do you think you just did to that bass?

Like I said, just something to think about. If you're a hardcore tournament angler and you're serious about catch and release, it's not a bad idea to think about chilling your livewell a little bit.

bd

Good post. It could also work the opposite way. If the water is 70 degrees or so then you drop them into ice cold water, chacnes are its not good.

#1199948 - 02/25/09 06:51 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: cbcs1987]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: cbcs1987
It could also work the opposite way. If the water is 70 degrees or so then you drop them into ice cold water, chacnes are its not good.

This is true too - the ideal would be to get your livewell temp down a little from surface temp, but you don't want ice water in there.

bd

#1200049 - 02/25/09 07:59 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

I didn't pull anything out of my arse.

If I can, I will post results of a 2 year study a friend of mine done a few years ago while he was a grad student. It will blow your mind. If I'm allowed to post the results.

I'm hoping he'll give me a link.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#1200747 - 02/25/09 03:16 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Tournament Fish Die?

Of course they do, just at a higher rate than others.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1200757 - 02/25/09 03:23 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Tennessee Todd]
Dodgeball
Woodpile Boys
6 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: Tennessee Todd
There's no way that is true. If taken care of properly, the mortality rate for tournament caught bass is very, very low.

But there's one thing I can guarantee you, the mortality rate for tournament fishermen is alot less than the mortality rate for bass kept for the freezer.

This is exactly right i dont care what anyone says.

#1200954 - 02/25/09 05:45 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Dodgeball]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

I talked to one of our fisheries biologists this afternoon on some of the latest research done on delayed mortality in tournaments. He told me that once the water surface temperature reaches 75 deg.F that the mortality rapidly increases. The latest data shows mortality in excess of 50%, and he said the 90% figure in this thread is highly possible. His comment was that in the summer tournaments where the fish were taken to the scales in the normal small bags of water that they may as well go from the scales to a fillet table because their chance of survival is extremely small.Some of the technigues mentioned in this thread can help a little, but the research has shown that the majority of the fish in those "hot" water tournaments are going to die.

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (deadhead870, lung punch, bowhunterfanatic, mossyhorns300, DaveB, 51 pointer, 19 invisible) and 101 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91594 Topics
1070595 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.11 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.