Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1198312 - 02/24/09 11:39 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
A.K.A.
10 Point

Loc: East TN

Originally Posted By: DOA
 Originally Posted By: Kimberman
I would like to see where this guy gets his info from, I bet he pulled the 90% number out of his arse. I am sure there is a mortality rate associated with tournament fishing, and I'm sure the mortality rate climbs when the water temps are high, but 90% sounds a lot higher to me than what it actually is. I know that I fished a smallmouth only tourney on Dale Hollow after Thanksgiving, and all but 3 fish that were released swam away with no problem. After that it would only be specualtion if any more died.
I fish at least 2 times a wk in the summer. I also fish some tournaments. Other than the fish ( which's usually less than 5) floating around the release cove, I will only see 2 or 3 fish (MAYBE)
floating elsewhere after a tournament...even a really big one.

Yes they may have swam away, but that doesnt mean they didnt die. Have you ever went the day after a tourney during the summer and seen all the dead fish, plus fish dont always float when they die.

#1198314 - 02/24/09 11:40 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
A.K.A.
10 Point

Loc: East TN

Originally Posted By: DOA
 Originally Posted By: Kimberman
I would like to see where this guy gets his info from, I bet he pulled the 90% number out of his arse. I am sure there is a mortality rate associated with tournament fishing, and I'm sure the mortality rate climbs when the water temps are high, but 90% sounds a lot higher to me than what it actually is. I know that I fished a smallmouth only tourney on Dale Hollow after Thanksgiving, and all but 3 fish that were released swam away with no problem. After that it would only be specualtion if any more died.

Yes they may have swam away, but that doesnt mean they didnt die. Have you ever went the day after a tourney during the summer and seen all the dead fish, plus fish dont always float when they die.
I fish at least 2 times a wk in the summer. I also fish some tournaments. Other than the fish ( which's usually less than 5) floating around the release cove, I will only see 2 or 3 fish (MAYBE)
floating elsewhere after a tournament...even a really big one.

#1198326 - 02/24/09 11:50 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: A.K.A.]
DOA
Spike

Loc: TN

Once again here is the link to TWRA website:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Reservoir/blackbass/livebass2.pdf

#1198352 - 02/24/09 12:05 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

Thanks for that link. That gives me some good ideas for keeping fish alive. I already do all the salts and oxygenation but the multi-step weigh in is interesting.

#1198417 - 02/24/09 12:32 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Tennessee Todd]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

At one point in my life I read a lot of studies on post-release mortality. The studies vary quite a bit, usually depending on the time of year when the tournament is held. From what I recall, it seems like "average" post-release mortality is about 30 percent.

That's a hell of a lot lower than 90 percent, but I bet it is higher than a lot of people expect. Suppose a tourney has 20 boats and a total of 55 fish are caught (a few 5-fish limits, several with a few fish each, and a few folks skunked). That's 16 or 17 bass killed in a tournament that's not very big. I'd be willing to bet if you asked the participants in most tournaments this size to guess about mortality, they'd guess only a small handful of fish would die.

A surprisingly high number of bass die after 2 or 3 days rather than immediately after the weigh-in. Smallmouth die more than largemouth - my theory is that smallies are more likely to get pulled from very deep water, especially in the summer, so they get hit with more stress from rapid temperature and pressure change.

The highest study I read firsthand documented 80-something percent mortality over the week following weigh-ins. The study focused on a series of summer tournaments in Texas. Hot water equals lots of dead bass.

It is true that mortality of bass kept for the frying pan is 100 percent. On the other hand, we have a LOT of tournaments around here, and fewer people keep bass for the table these days. It wouldn't surprise me at all to discover that there are occasional summer days on Old Hickory where more bass die post-release from tournaments than die on a fillet board.

Good oxygenation, chilled water, and holding tournaments only at night in the hot part of the summer helps a lot.

bd

#1198490 - 02/24/09 01:22 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Loc: Brownsville, Tennessee

One of the first studies on the mortality of tournament bass was conducted here in Tennessee. I think the biologists, student at the time, had the last name of Taylor (John Taylor, maybe?) Seems he works in the big-bass biology world of Texas, now. (Speaking of the latter, do a google search for Share-A-Lunker Program in Texas...that is pretty neat.)

There are countless stories out there on first-aid bassin', keeping your catch alive, etc.,etc., etc. (I have even written quite a few.)

The biggest deal always seems to be the dog-day tourneys. And even then, the additives, the improved livewells are steadily improving. Even fewer fish are being lost.

#1198906 - 02/24/09 05:07 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Taylor]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
Oneof the best sots to fish is the areas around the weigh-in site. No telling how many big bass Charlie Brewer caught without ever starting his outboard.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1198979 - 02/24/09 06:03 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: bowriter]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

It's like a weekly keeper-sized bass stocking program. \:\)

bd

#1198989 - 02/24/09 06:08 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I learned how to "fizz" a bass this past summer. It actually is not all that hard to do if you practice on a dead one first.

A lot of summer mortality can be linked to deep water bass being pulled up to the surface rapidly and the swim bladder expanding.
The fish will float and eventually die if the pressure is not released.

#1199095 - 02/24/09 06:54 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kirk]
ewc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Plenty of data out there to suggest that angling mortality is significant, even if the fish is released and swims away. This rate is directly correlated to water temp.

However, I believe that the main reason BASS populations are doing as well as they are is the fact that catch and release has been a mainstay for the last 15-20 years.

I capitalized bass, because other species CAN have 90% angling mortality.

Do a search for angling mortality and TTU-

Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (TraumaSlave, Bulldog25, THEdonkey0515, Mudbone, J.W.308, TN Larry, 10 invisible) and 292 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99454 Topics
1169918 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.