Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1198174 - 02/24/09 10:12 AM Tournament Fish Die?
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

content Online
On another forum, somebody chimed in that most tournament largemouth die, sometimes over 90%. No matter whether they are released at the weigh-in cove or out in the middle of the lake.

Are you freakin' kidding me? Is that true? I knew that was a concern, but I had no idea mortality was such an issue. Why the heck hasn't somebody come up with a better holding tank water solution or a deal where you weigh and release the fish from your boat?

I don't know squat about this stuff because the only tournaments I've ever fished are catch and release fly fishing tournaments (where you measure and take pictures). But if that's true, I'm against all these tournaments until they can get the mortality down to 10% or so (or whatever the biologists say is acceptable).

From the other tournament thread, it seems we have some experienced tournament anglers on here. Care to clue me in on what's going on? Am I overreacting? Sounds to me like hundreds of the best fishermen killing 90+ % of their fish over a 3-day weekend would seriously deplete the resource.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1198212 - 02/24/09 10:41 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
DOA
Spike

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
On another forum, somebody chimed in that most tournament largemouth die, sometimes over 90%. No matter whether they are released at the weigh-in cove or out in the middle of the lake.

Not true, in most cases. 90% is probably close when the water temps are 80 or above. I fish tourneys, but choose to only fish a couple during the summer months for this reason. Yes there are things anglers can do such as icing,treatments, etc...but you will still have a high mortality when temps are high. Also many tourney anglers say the fish night tourneys during the summer and this prevents. All I can say is that is bogus statement.

As far release sites. Doesnt matter whether in the cove or scattered. The only reason bigger tourneys scatter fish is to spread them out and not congregrate them to be caught in different areas. Also, to prevent bank anglers from catching and keeping(not that I agree with practice, but have heard tourney director mention this) I say it doesnt matter, but I guess it depends on the size of the cove, but for the most part the fish are just trying to recover and when they have done so, will migrate out of the area, some for many miles away, while others stick around.

#1198216 - 02/24/09 10:43 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

I would like to see where this guy gets his info from, I bet he pulled the 90% number out of his arse. I am sure there is a mortality rate associated with tournament fishing, and I'm sure the mortality rate climbs when the water temps are high, but 90% sounds a lot higher to me than what it actually is. I know that I fished a smallmouth only tourney on Dale Hollow after Thanksgiving, and all but 3 fish that were released swam away with no problem. After that it would only be specualtion if any more died.

#1198223 - 02/24/09 10:47 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
On another forum, somebody chimed in that most tournament largemouth die, sometimes over 90%.

Nope. 90% is way overexaggerated. Like was already said, that might be a little closer when the water temps are really high. Most tournaments now require fish to be alive for weigh in so most folks use products to put in their livewell water to enhance the water quality for them to live longer in there.

#1198224 - 02/24/09 10:47 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kimberman]
DOA
Spike

Originally Posted By: Kimberman
I would like to see where this guy gets his info from, I bet he pulled the 90% number out of his arse. I am sure there is a mortality rate associated with tournament fishing, and I'm sure the mortality rate climbs when the water temps are high, but 90% sounds a lot higher to me than what it actually is. I know that I fished a smallmouth only tourney on Dale Hollow after Thanksgiving, and all but 3 fish that were released swam away with no problem. After that it would only be specualtion if any more died.

Yes they may have swam away, but that doesnt mean they didnt die. Have you ever went the day after a tourney during the summer and seen all the dead fish, plus fish dont always float when they die.

#1198239 - 02/24/09 10:55 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
DOA
Spike

Yes 90% is high. I'm sure it's not that high, probably more like 30-40%, but is that not a high rate?? Like I said it could be lower by using icing, treatments, and oxygen methods. Plus if the tourney has a good holding tank system. I think we will see a fee to host a tourneys in the near future. JMO
#1198247 - 02/24/09 10:58 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: DOA
 Originally Posted By: Kimberman

Yes they may have swam away, but that doesnt mean they didnt die. Have you ever went the day after a tourney during the summer and seen all the dead fish, plus fish dont always float when they die.

I have lived within walking distance of Ft Loudon for 23 years of my life, and fish it on average at least once a week, and I have never seen a large fish kill, and there are probably at least 10-15 small tourneys running on Ft Loudon every week, not to mention the big tourneys that make their way through every year(like the FLW or Redman trails). I am sure that released fish do die, I'm not arguing that, but alot of the numbers thrown out there are nothing more than speculation by people that hate tournament fishermen.

#1198248 - 02/24/09 11:00 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
DOA
Spike

Found something interesting.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Reservoir/blackbass/livebass2.pdf

#1198249 - 02/24/09 11:01 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kimberman]
DOA
Spike

I like tournament fishermen, considering I fish them too.
#1198296 - 02/24/09 11:31 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
Tennessee Todd
Duffer
16 Point

Loc: TuTu City, Tn

There's no way that is true. If taken care of properly, the mortality rate for tournament caught bass is very, very low.

But there's one thing I can guarantee you, the mortality rate for tournament fishermen is alot less than the mortality rate for bass kept for the freezer.

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
84 registered (Mossy Oak, landman, jb3, THEdonkey0515, leader, khawk, 14 invisible) and 99 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88738 Topics
1039132 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.