Tndeer Logo

Page all of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1198174 - 02/24/09 10:12 AM Tournament Fish Die?
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

On another forum, somebody chimed in that most tournament largemouth die, sometimes over 90%. No matter whether they are released at the weigh-in cove or out in the middle of the lake.

Are you freakin' kidding me? Is that true? I knew that was a concern, but I had no idea mortality was such an issue. Why the heck hasn't somebody come up with a better holding tank water solution or a deal where you weigh and release the fish from your boat?

I don't know squat about this stuff because the only tournaments I've ever fished are catch and release fly fishing tournaments (where you measure and take pictures). But if that's true, I'm against all these tournaments until they can get the mortality down to 10% or so (or whatever the biologists say is acceptable).

From the other tournament thread, it seems we have some experienced tournament anglers on here. Care to clue me in on what's going on? Am I overreacting? Sounds to me like hundreds of the best fishermen killing 90+ % of their fish over a 3-day weekend would seriously deplete the resource.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1198212 - 02/24/09 10:41 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
DOA
Spike

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
On another forum, somebody chimed in that most tournament largemouth die, sometimes over 90%. No matter whether they are released at the weigh-in cove or out in the middle of the lake.

Not true, in most cases. 90% is probably close when the water temps are 80 or above. I fish tourneys, but choose to only fish a couple during the summer months for this reason. Yes there are things anglers can do such as icing,treatments, etc...but you will still have a high mortality when temps are high. Also many tourney anglers say the fish night tourneys during the summer and this prevents. All I can say is that is bogus statement.

As far release sites. Doesnt matter whether in the cove or scattered. The only reason bigger tourneys scatter fish is to spread them out and not congregrate them to be caught in different areas. Also, to prevent bank anglers from catching and keeping(not that I agree with practice, but have heard tourney director mention this) I say it doesnt matter, but I guess it depends on the size of the cove, but for the most part the fish are just trying to recover and when they have done so, will migrate out of the area, some for many miles away, while others stick around.

#1198216 - 02/24/09 10:43 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

I would like to see where this guy gets his info from, I bet he pulled the 90% number out of his arse. I am sure there is a mortality rate associated with tournament fishing, and I'm sure the mortality rate climbs when the water temps are high, but 90% sounds a lot higher to me than what it actually is. I know that I fished a smallmouth only tourney on Dale Hollow after Thanksgiving, and all but 3 fish that were released swam away with no problem. After that it would only be specualtion if any more died.

#1198223 - 02/24/09 10:47 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

On another forum, somebody chimed in that most tournament largemouth die, sometimes over 90%.

Nope. 90% is way overexaggerated. Like was already said, that might be a little closer when the water temps are really high. Most tournaments now require fish to be alive for weigh in so most folks use products to put in their livewell water to enhance the water quality for them to live longer in there.

#1198224 - 02/24/09 10:47 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kimberman]
DOA
Spike

Originally Posted By: Kimberman
I would like to see where this guy gets his info from, I bet he pulled the 90% number out of his arse. I am sure there is a mortality rate associated with tournament fishing, and I'm sure the mortality rate climbs when the water temps are high, but 90% sounds a lot higher to me than what it actually is. I know that I fished a smallmouth only tourney on Dale Hollow after Thanksgiving, and all but 3 fish that were released swam away with no problem. After that it would only be specualtion if any more died.

Yes they may have swam away, but that doesnt mean they didnt die. Have you ever went the day after a tourney during the summer and seen all the dead fish, plus fish dont always float when they die.

#1198239 - 02/24/09 10:55 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
DOA
Spike

Yes 90% is high. I'm sure it's not that high, probably more like 30-40%, but is that not a high rate?? Like I said it could be lower by using icing, treatments, and oxygen methods. Plus if the tourney has a good holding tank system. I think we will see a fee to host a tourneys in the near future. JMO
#1198247 - 02/24/09 10:58 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
Kimberman
10 Point

Originally Posted By: DOA

Yes they may have swam away, but that doesnt mean they didnt die. Have you ever went the day after a tourney during the summer and seen all the dead fish, plus fish dont always float when they die.

I have lived within walking distance of Ft Loudon for 23 years of my life, and fish it on average at least once a week, and I have never seen a large fish kill, and there are probably at least 10-15 small tourneys running on Ft Loudon every week, not to mention the big tourneys that make their way through every year(like the FLW or Redman trails). I am sure that released fish do die, I'm not arguing that, but alot of the numbers thrown out there are nothing more than speculation by people that hate tournament fishermen.

#1198248 - 02/24/09 11:00 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
DOA
Spike

Found something interesting.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Reservoir/blackbass/livebass2.pdf

#1198249 - 02/24/09 11:01 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kimberman]
DOA
Spike

I like tournament fishermen, considering I fish them too.
#1198296 - 02/24/09 11:31 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
Tennessee Todd
Communicates like Rad
16 Point

Loc: TuTu City, Tn

There's no way that is true. If taken care of properly, the mortality rate for tournament caught bass is very, very low.

But there's one thing I can guarantee you, the mortality rate for tournament fishermen is alot less than the mortality rate for bass kept for the freezer.

#1198312 - 02/24/09 11:39 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
A.K.A.
10 Point

Loc: East TN

I fish at least 2 times a wk in the summer. I also fish some tournaments. Other than the fish ( which's usually less than 5) floating around the release cove, I will only see 2 or 3 fish (MAYBE)
floating elsewhere after a tournament...even a really big one.

#1198314 - 02/24/09 11:40 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
A.K.A.
10 Point

Loc: East TN

I fish at least 2 times a wk in the summer. I also fish some tournaments. Other than the fish ( which's usually less than 5) floating around the release cove, I will only see 2 or 3 fish (MAYBE)
floating elsewhere after a tournament...even a really big one.

#1198326 - 02/24/09 11:50 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: A.K.A.]
DOA
Spike

Once again here is the link to TWRA website:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Reservoir/blackbass/livebass2.pdf

#1198352 - 02/24/09 12:05 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: DOA]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

Thanks for that link. That gives me some good ideas for keeping fish alive. I already do all the salts and oxygenation but the multi-step weigh in is interesting.

#1198417 - 02/24/09 12:32 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Tennessee Todd]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

At one point in my life I read a lot of studies on post-release mortality. The studies vary quite a bit, usually depending on the time of year when the tournament is held. From what I recall, it seems like "average" post-release mortality is about 30 percent.

That's a hell of a lot lower than 90 percent, but I bet it is higher than a lot of people expect. Suppose a tourney has 20 boats and a total of 55 fish are caught (a few 5-fish limits, several with a few fish each, and a few folks skunked). That's 16 or 17 bass killed in a tournament that's not very big. I'd be willing to bet if you asked the participants in most tournaments this size to guess about mortality, they'd guess only a small handful of fish would die.

A surprisingly high number of bass die after 2 or 3 days rather than immediately after the weigh-in. Smallmouth die more than largemouth - my theory is that smallies are more likely to get pulled from very deep water, especially in the summer, so they get hit with more stress from rapid temperature and pressure change.

The highest study I read firsthand documented 80-something percent mortality over the week following weigh-ins. The study focused on a series of summer tournaments in Texas. Hot water equals lots of dead bass.

It is true that mortality of bass kept for the frying pan is 100 percent. On the other hand, we have a LOT of tournaments around here, and fewer people keep bass for the table these days. It wouldn't surprise me at all to discover that there are occasional summer days on Old Hickory where more bass die post-release from tournaments than die on a fillet board.

Good oxygenation, chilled water, and holding tournaments only at night in the hot part of the summer helps a lot.

bd

#1198490 - 02/24/09 01:22 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Loc: Brownsville, Tennessee

One of the first studies on the mortality of tournament bass was conducted here in Tennessee. I think the biologists, student at the time, had the last name of Taylor (John Taylor, maybe?) Seems he works in the big-bass biology world of Texas, now. (Speaking of the latter, do a google search for Share-A-Lunker Program in Texas...that is pretty neat.)

There are countless stories out there on first-aid bassin', keeping your catch alive, etc.,etc., etc. (I have even written quite a few.)

The biggest deal always seems to be the dog-day tourneys. And even then, the additives, the improved livewells are steadily improving. Even fewer fish are being lost.

#1198906 - 02/24/09 05:07 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Taylor]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Oneof the best sots to fish is the areas around the weigh-in site. No telling how many big bass Charlie Brewer caught without ever starting his outboard.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1198979 - 02/24/09 06:03 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: bowriter]
B.D.
8 Point

It's like a weekly keeper-sized bass stocking program. \:\)

bd

#1198989 - 02/24/09 06:08 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

I learned how to "fizz" a bass this past summer. It actually is not all that hard to do if you practice on a dead one first.

A lot of summer mortality can be linked to deep water bass being pulled up to the surface rapidly and the swim bladder expanding.
The fish will float and eventually die if the pressure is not released.

#1199095 - 02/24/09 06:54 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kirk]
ewc
8 Point

Plenty of data out there to suggest that angling mortality is significant, even if the fish is released and swims away. This rate is directly correlated to water temp.

However, I believe that the main reason BASS populations are doing as well as they are is the fact that catch and release has been a mainstay for the last 15-20 years.

I capitalized bass, because other species CAN have 90% angling mortality.

Do a search for angling mortality and TTU-

#1199157 - 02/24/09 07:18 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: ewc]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

hard to believe it coulbd be 90%

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1199441 - 02/24/09 09:01 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kirk]
B.D.
8 Point

Something to think about:

How many of you have owned an aquarium? If you own an aquarium, you probably know there's an important step you have to do when you get a new fish for your tank. When you get the fish home, you don't just dump it in the aquarium. You take the plastic bag the fish is in, and you float it in the tank water for 20 or 30 minutes.

Why is this done? To equalize temperature. When you float the bag, the water in the bag gets closer to the temp of the water in the tank, so you don't shock your fish. If you just dump fish from a cold bag into a warm tank without equalizing temp, it will temperature shock them and a bunch of them will die. They don't die instantly, but the next day after you introduce them to the tank, you'll wake up to find some of your fish belly-up.

Now - what does this have to do with a summer bass tournament?

Think about a bass you catch in 20 feet of water. That bass is down around the thermocline, and he's probably in 68-70 degree water. You pull him to the surface, and you suddenly dump him into a livewell that's drawing surface water at 85 degrees.

What do you think you just did to that bass?

Like I said, just something to think about. If you're a hardcore tournament angler and you're serious about catch and release, it's not a bad idea to think about chilling your livewell a little bit.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/24/09 09:02 PM)

#1199539 - 02/24/09 09:44 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

I chill mine with frozen 32 ounce "coke" plastic bottles. They last longer than bagged ice and don't super chill the water. They will usually drop the temp by about 20 degrees. I carry cooler with several of them in it. When one thaws out I throw in a fresh one.

I also use the Bass Medics Rejuvanade additive in the water. Helps witht eh slime coat and acts a calming agent. My live wells are also oxygenated and the fish are always lively at release.

#1199723 - 02/24/09 10:31 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Kirk]
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

I dont know about statistics, but it seems that once tournaments start I can go to the boat ramp to fish the following day(usually a sunday) and dead bass are everywhere. Not just bass heads where someones cleaned them to eat. I would say that its most likely tournaments because I doubt anybody whos just out there to fish for fun catches fish, rides around with them in the livewell all day, and then takes them out around the boat ramp and puts em in the lake. Telico canal, ish creek, and bakers creek all look like a bass holocausts the day after tournaments. Its to bad cuz those are my favorite areas.

Edited by cbcs1987 (02/24/09 10:33 PM)

#1199732 - 02/24/09 10:34 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
Something to think about:

How many of you have owned an aquarium? If you own an aquarium, you probably know there's an important step you have to do when you get a new fish for your tank. When you get the fish home, you don't just dump it in the aquarium. You take the plastic bag the fish is in, and you float it in the tank water for 20 or 30 minutes.

Why is this done? To equalize temperature. When you float the bag, the water in the bag gets closer to the temp of the water in the tank, so you don't shock your fish. If you just dump fish from a cold bag into a warm tank without equalizing temp, it will temperature shock them and a bunch of them will die. They don't die instantly, but the next day after you introduce them to the tank, you'll wake up to find some of your fish belly-up.

Now - what does this have to do with a summer bass tournament?

Think about a bass you catch in 20 feet of water. That bass is down around the thermocline, and he's probably in 68-70 degree water. You pull him to the surface, and you suddenly dump him into a livewell that's drawing surface water at 85 degrees.

What do you think you just did to that bass?

Like I said, just something to think about. If you're a hardcore tournament angler and you're serious about catch and release, it's not a bad idea to think about chilling your livewell a little bit.

bd

Good post. It could also work the opposite way. If the water is 70 degrees or so then you drop them into ice cold water, chacnes are its not good.

#1199948 - 02/25/09 06:51 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: cbcs1987]
B.D.
8 Point

Originally Posted By: cbcs1987
It could also work the opposite way. If the water is 70 degrees or so then you drop them into ice cold water, chacnes are its not good.

This is true too - the ideal would be to get your livewell temp down a little from surface temp, but you don't want ice water in there.

bd

#1200049 - 02/25/09 07:59 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

I didn't pull anything out of my arse.

If I can, I will post results of a 2 year study a friend of mine done a few years ago while he was a grad student. It will blow your mind. If I'm allowed to post the results.

I'm hoping he'll give me a link.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#1200747 - 02/25/09 03:16 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Tournament Fish Die?

Of course they do, just at a higher rate than others.

#1200757 - 02/25/09 03:23 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Tennessee Todd]
Dodgeball
Woodpile Boys
6 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: Tennessee Todd
There's no way that is true. If taken care of properly, the mortality rate for tournament caught bass is very, very low.

But there's one thing I can guarantee you, the mortality rate for tournament fishermen is alot less than the mortality rate for bass kept for the freezer.

This is exactly right i dont care what anyone says.

#1200954 - 02/25/09 05:45 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Dodgeball]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
I talked to one of our fisheries biologists this afternoon on some of the latest research done on delayed mortality in tournaments. He told me that once the water surface temperature reaches 75 deg.F that the mortality rapidly increases. The latest data shows mortality in excess of 50%, and he said the 90% figure in this thread is highly possible. His comment was that in the summer tournaments where the fish were taken to the scales in the normal small bags of water that they may as well go from the scales to a fillet table because their chance of survival is extremely small.Some of the technigues mentioned in this thread can help a little, but the research has shown that the majority of the fish in those "hot" water tournaments are going to die.

#1200999 - 02/25/09 06:13 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: scn]
gil1
12 Point

I have been told that most stripers die even when immediately released during the summer months. Wonder what the number is for catch and immediate release mortality on bass?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1201005 - 02/25/09 06:20 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
I was told that immediate release on largemouth results in very low mortality even in the high water temperature months. The mortality issue seems to revolve around time in livewells and stress during the weigh-in.

#1201066 - 02/25/09 06:54 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: scn]
ewc
8 Point

I said what scn said a bunch of posts before. I was there for the research-

This was 12-15 years ago. All of this is very old news.

gil,
no offense, but if you will listen, bw,scn, and I gave you THE definitive answer.

Keep banging your head if you want-

Angling mortality is significant when water temps exceed 70f.

Higher still for some species.

See post #15 or 17 - whichever is mine. \:\)

Edited by ewc (02/25/09 06:58 PM)

#1201123 - 02/25/09 07:21 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: ewc]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: ewc
I said what scn said a bunch of posts before. I was there for the research-

This was 12-15 years ago. All of this is very old news.

gil,
no offense, but if you will listen, bw,scn, and I gave you THE definitive answer.

Keep banging your head if you want-

Angling mortality is significant when water temps exceed 70f.

Higher still for some species.

See post #15 or 17 - whichever is mine. \:\)

Okay, you suck! How's that for a definitive answer? \:D I'm only kidding.

Going back and reading, I now remember, but I can't be responsible for remembering anything that happened yesterday. I've learned I can never get those brain cells back. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1201158 - 02/25/09 07:33 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
Tennessee Todd
Communicates like Rad
16 Point

gil,

I think it's time for the bobcat to get us back on track.

\:D

#1201483 - 02/25/09 09:57 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Tennessee Todd]
gil1
12 Point

gil,

I think it's time for the bobcat to get us back on track.

\:D

As you wish. Just remember, Scooby is ALWAYS watching! Just try to get to sleep now!
\:D \:D \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1201747 - 02/26/09 07:13 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

My God! That taxidermologist should sued then shot. That is just horrible. I sure hope the one you shot this year turns out better.

I just noticed something. Where did you shoot that cat? What state?

#1202058 - 02/26/09 09:39 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
My God! That taxidermologist should sued then shot. That is just horrible. I sure hope the one you shot this year turns out better.

I just noticed something. Where did you shoot that cat? What state?

I shot him here on the Centerville lease in Hickman County. I should have paid the cat and stuffed the taxidermist. The WO cat should be ready any time now - I'll post pics.

Sorry to hijack.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1202129 - 02/26/09 10:27 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

I like seeing bobcats in the wild. My bobcat viewing doesn't affect your bobcat hunting negatively, but your bobcat harvest does negatively impact my bobcat viewing. Seeing a live bobcat in the wild is a much more rare and special experience than catching a 15" trout. \:\)

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/26/09 10:27 AM)

#1202135 - 02/26/09 10:30 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

I have been told that most stripers die even when immediately released during the summer months. Wonder what the number is for catch and immediate release mortality on bass?

It's been a looooooooong time since I read anything on that, but I vaguely recall that it was comfortably under 10 percent, with most of the mortality from fish hooked deep, hooked in the eye, etc.

Stripers are different from bass for a couple reasons. First, they are a cooler water species. They don't handle it well when they are dragged into 80 degree surface water, especially from down deep. Second, stripers are more determined fighters - give them light enough tackle, and they will literally fight until they die.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/26/09 10:31 AM)

#1202239 - 02/26/09 11:39 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
Tennessee Todd
Communicates like Rad
16 Point

gil,

Please don't apologize for hijacking threads. The pics are worth it.

LOL....

#1202500 - 02/26/09 02:26 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Tennessee Todd]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Gil- Not to continue the hijack, but the reason I asked is that cat has western ears. Of the six or eight I have killed, the two from western states have ears like that. When you get your WO can back, compare the ears. The only black one I ever killed didn't have any ears at all. (You may have to think about that one for a while.)

Now on with the dead fish discussion.

#1202548 - 02/26/09 02:45 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

This is Gil's last bobcat.

#1202769 - 02/26/09 05:34 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: bowriter]
B.D.
8 Point

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

-- Rick James

#1204359 - 02/27/09 01:52 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
B.D.
8 Point

Incidentally, did anyone watch Southern Woods and Waters last night? They actually had a couple TWRA biologists on talking about a brand new study just completed on delayed mortality for bass caught in tournaments.

Basically the biologists suggested that once the water gets warm in the summer, you might as well take them to a fillet table instead of releasing them. Otherwise, they said, you're just wasting fish.

Interesting, no?

bd

#1204523 - 02/27/09 04:01 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

I like seeing bobcats in the wild. My bobcat viewing doesn't affect your bobcat hunting negatively, but your bobcat harvest does negatively impact my bobcat viewing. Seeing a live bobcat in the wild is a much more rare and special experience than catching a 15" trout. \:\)

bd

Counselor - It would be a solid argument if you bobcat watchers had to buy a license like we hunters do. \:D Boy, talk about the potential for completely hijacking a thread!

Reminds me of an old joke.
Bird watcher - I love to watch birds.
Redneck hunter - Watch 'em what?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1204532 - 02/27/09 04:06 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Gil- Not to continue the hijack, but the reason I asked is that cat has western ears. Of the six or eight I have killed, the two from western states have ears like that. When you get your WO can back, compare the ears. The only black one I ever killed didn't have any ears at all. (You may have to think about that one for a while.)

Now on with the dead fish discussion.

No, I like bobcat threads better.

Here's the cat after I killed it. I don't know what bobcat ears are supposed to look like, but I promise you my taxidermist doesn't either. \:D
It wouldn't surprise me at all if my taxidermist gave me one he got out of a pawn shop out west anyway.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1204539 - 02/27/09 04:10 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Incidentally, did anyone watch Southern Woods and Waters last night? They actually had a couple TWRA biologists on talking about a brand new study just completed on delayed mortality for bass caught in tournaments.

Basically the biologists suggested that once the water gets warm in the summer, you might as well take them to a fillet table instead of releasing them. Otherwise, they said, you're just wasting fish.

Interesting, no?

bd

Yes, interesting. As a fish hugger, I think we shouldn't be able to use hooks anymore. We should just have our flies and plugs hookless like the pros pre-fishing the tournaments. That way, none would ever get hurt, only slightly inconvenienced. \:D

Think I'll go talk to my plants for a while so they are happy. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1206306 - 02/28/09 12:29 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Counselor - It would be a solid argument if you bobcat watchers had to buy a license like we hunters do.

Forgive my ignorance because I don't predator hunt. Do you have to buy some license to shoot bobcats other than the Type 01 that I buy to fish every year?

bd

#1206504 - 02/28/09 03:11 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Counselor - It would be a solid argument if you bobcat watchers had to buy a license like we hunters do.

Forgive my ignorance because I don't predator hunt. Do you have to buy some license to shoot bobcats other than the Type 01 that I buy to fish every year?

bd

No problem on your ignorance. \:D

True dat. Anyone who buys a regular 001 hunting and fishing license can hunt armadillo, skunk, bullfrog, coon, possum, nutria, otter, bobcat, fox, yote and tons more fun stuff.

But... you can jest sit around and watch all dem possums n frogs n such fo free. So git after dat cat viewing if'n ya wanna. No charge. ;\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1206522 - 02/28/09 03:33 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

No offense Gil, but I just find it funny that someone can kill those cute lil ole innocent bobcats for fun.... yet you throw a fit at people who want to kill a big trout every now and then for the table. Maybe you should get bobcat replicas made?

We stock trout by the gazzillion. I havent even had a chance to see a wild bobcat before, and dont think the TWRA will be stocking them wild into the woods anytime soon.

Im not a member of PETA by any means I just find it all so....odd?

#1206570 - 02/28/09 04:06 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: madMax]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: MaxD
No offense Gil, but I just find it funny that someone can kill those cute lil ole innocent bobcats for fun.... yet you throw a fit at people who want to kill a big trout every now and then for the table. Maybe you should get bobcat replicas made?

We stock trout by the gazzillion. I havent even had a chance to see a wild bobcat before, and dont think the TWRA will be stocking them wild into the woods anytime soon.

Im not a member of PETA by any means I just find it all so....odd?

It's quite an enigma, ain't it. I guess if I could catch and release a bobcat, I would.

People who kill big trout are devil worshipers and criminals.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1206572 - 02/28/09 04:07 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

People who kill big trout are devil worshipers and criminals.

Y'all know I was only kidding, right? ;\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1206638 - 02/28/09 04:39 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
MFBAB
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN

Hunting has C&R too, it's called a video camera:)

#1210645 - 03/02/09 03:29 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: madMax]
B.D.
8 Point

I will go on record right now and say I will gladly triple what I pay for a hunting/fishing license every year if we can get TWRA to start stocking bobcats by the gazillion. I propose the middle of Brentwood as the first stocking site. I will pay extra if we can throw in some tigers too.

bd

#1210732 - 03/02/09 04:02 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

I will go on record right now and say I will gladly triple what I pay for a hunting/fishing license every year if we can get TWRA to start stocking bobcats by the gazillion. I propose the middle of Brentwood as the first stocking site. I will pay extra if we can throw in some tigers too.

bd

You know, folks have been complaining about coyotes, too. My understanding is that the only long-term solution to the coyote problem is wolves (mainly because they hadn't tried tigers yet). I say we toss in a buch of wolves, too.

From reading posts on other forums, folks seem to think we have a burgeoning cougar population (especially black), so I guess we don't need to stock those.

Seriously, I dig bobcats too. Although I will assuredly try to call them in, I will probably never shoot another. In the words of Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with that." \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1210744 - 03/02/09 04:09 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

I was at Barefoot Charlie's the other night and the bar was loaded with cougars.

bd

#1210771 - 03/02/09 04:25 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

I was at Barefoot Charlie's the other night and the bar was loaded with cougars.

bd

Okay, you're stretching my brain cells, here. I had to look it up. It appears that Barefoot Charlie's is a new beach restaurant in Hendersonvegas. As for the cougars, I can only assume it's some high school nickname. Are you stalking the lady Cougar coeds again? \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1210782 - 03/02/09 04:30 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: gil1]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Gil , a Cougar is a name for an older woman on the prowl for younger men . \:\)

#1210795 - 03/02/09 04:38 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Radar]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Gil- Continuing with the hijack. Those last pictures you posted are cats with eastern ears. Very plain difference. That is not, can't be, the same cat as the one in the aborted taxidermy attempt.

You done been shucked and jived and I'll go wid you and we'll pop a cap in hiz azze.

#1210887 - 03/02/09 06:03 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

bd

Thanks for the smartazz post. I only disagree with hunters on one thing. Which would be killing any animal for a reason other than A)Eating it. B)The animal is threatening or dangerous to people/property/agriculture etc. In other words, its has to be done. Shucks, guess thats about 5 things.

I keep a few big trout a year and you guys dont - you hunt a few bobcats and I dont, call a truce? Sorry for hijacking the hijack

#1210988 - 03/02/09 06:53 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Gil- Continuing with the hijack. Those last pictures you posted are cats with eastern ears. Very plain difference. That is not, can't be, the same cat as the one in the aborted taxidermy attempt.

You done been shucked and jived and I'll go wid you and we'll pop a cap in hiz azze.

RU friggin' kidding me!!??

I won't get into it on this thread, but I went through hell getting that thing mounted and it wasn't even the form or pose that I asked for (he gave me some excuse about the hole being too big to mount it the way I wanted). Which explains why it's not the right cat. Besides the fact that the mount is terrible!
I'm seriously pissed. The only saving grace is that it's the funniest looking thing most of us have ever seen!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1211020 - 03/02/09 07:13 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: madMax]
gil1
12 Point

bd

Thanks for the smartazz post. You know - I definitely disagree with you fly only trouthuggers on ALOT of things. I only disagree with hunters on one thing. Which would be killing any animal for a reason other than A)Eating it. B)The animal is threatening or dangerous to people/property/agriculture etc. In other words, its has to be done. Shucks, guess thats about 5 things.

Now if Gil is cappin' bobcats that are sneaking up on his backporch and trying to gank his new puppy dog, then BANG BANG shoot away. JMO of course - just dont give me the evil eye when I carry home a few 20" trout 1 or 2x a year...well most of you just cuss me behind my back from your boats.

One of my first posts on tndeer was asking for justification for killing yotes and tossing them in a ditch. As you can imagine, on this site, the responses were unfavorable.

One of the responses for why they kill stuff not for consumption was "cause I likes to watch 'em flop!" I had to laugh out loud at that one. Another was - "I am the king of all beasts. I like being on the top of the food chain. I don't need to explain why I kill stuff within the law."

I'm a lot more cerebral and sympathetic and soft than that, but I still kill for sport. I know it doesn't answer the question, but I respect and actually love the animals I kill and don't like waste. I have mounted, eaten, or used for fly tying everything I've ever killed. I hate it when folks arrow carp and toss them on the bank. Seems like they should be used or eaten somehow. Yes, I'm Gil and I'm a carp hugger.

By the way, Dunigan isn't fly-only and neither am I. But I get your drift and your argument has merit.

I would never cuss you behind your back for carrying home 20 inch trout. See if you can figure that one out. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1211811 - 03/03/09 08:22 AM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: madMax]
B.D.
8 Point

Thanks for the smartazz post.

Grab the lifeline:

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (03/03/09 08:22 AM)

#1217824 - 03/05/09 12:27 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: B.D.]
Tennessee Todd
Communicates like Rad
16 Point

To the top in case someone else wants to give gil some crap for shooting a bobcat...... LOL....

#1217837 - 03/05/09 12:33 PM Re: Tournament Fish Die? [Re: Tennessee Todd]
gil1
12 Point

To the top in case someone else wants to give gil some crap for shooting a bobcat...... LOL....

I think you might have been the "cause I likes to watch him flop" guy. Thanks for piling on! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page all of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (Redwing, FULLDRAWXX75, Deer Assassin, donkey5150, moondawg, huntintn, 14 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
93012 Topics
1086865 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.109 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.