Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1194913 - 02/22/09 09:13 AM On Tournament Fishermen
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

First let me say I once fished every tournament I could get to. I haven't fished one in years.

Now. Most of the professional fishermen I have run into, the ones who do that for a living, have been super nice and polite. I even had one stop on OH one day and ask if I needed help. I had the cowling open on my motor and he thought I had engine trouble. I was just adding oil. But I remembered that. He did not have to stop. I told him about a cove I thought he could catch a few big bass in if he would wait until noon or later to fish it. He laughed and said, "They were sure in it yesterday".

I have had very few problems on Center Hill or Dale H. But on PP and OH, the weekend warriors can be real cloacas and I have had some serious words with them when they assume that this is "their bank" or just because they have sponsor patches everywhere they have priority.

But nothing a tournament fisherman has ever done compares with the dam jet skis. I am glad they finally opened the season on them.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1194939 - 02/22/09 09:31 AM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: bowriter]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I have met polite tournament fishermen and weekend fishermen . I have also run into idiot weekend fishermen and jet skiers , as well as tournament fishermen .
There are good and bad people in every facet of the sport , just like deer hunting. It doesn't matter what type of boat , species of fish we are seeking ,or reason we are fishing that water , we all need to realize it is public water and no one owns a spot.
Have respect for fellow fishermen , ignore those who are disrespectful and move on to new water . There is plenty of room on the lake to fish without conflict .
It's just a fish . ;\)

#1194943 - 02/22/09 09:34 AM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: bowriter]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

Jet Skis would be great if they would show a little respect to other boaters. They sort of remind me of outlaw bikers when they come through an area.

#1195147 - 02/22/09 12:40 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: bowriter]
Mathews Hunter
12 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: bowriter

But nothing a tournament fisherman has ever done compares with the dam jet skis. I am glad they finally opened the season on them.

Could not agree more! Not to mention the drunk pleasure boaters.

#1195206 - 02/22/09 01:30 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: Mathews Hunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

I'm usually off the water by the time the pleasure boat and jet ski crowd arrive at the lake .
Best way to avoid the crowds is to fish week days whenever possible . I don't believe I have ever had problem with idiot boaters or fishermen when fishing during the week .

#1195215 - 02/22/09 01:46 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: Radar]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Not everybody has the luxury of being able to fish during the week. Wish I could.

I have to say 99% of tournament anglers are courteous and respectful. I think the rude people are usually just folks who don't know any better, which usually means they don't fish much.

Only bad experience I've had with tourney guys was when my boat was broken down and I was stranded - I flagged down a boat, and they said "We wish we could help you, but we're fishing a tournament." I hope I never get to the point where I care more about a $50 entry fee than I do about helping a fellow angler in trouble.

As far as jet skis, you don't have to be retarded to own one, but apparently it helps. ;\)

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/22/09 01:47 PM)

#1195265 - 02/22/09 02:25 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: B.D.]
Radar
Non-Typical

I towed in a stranded boater while fishing a tournament at Pickwick lake in Alabama . I also was towed into Paris landing by a pontoon boat while fishing a tournament .
There are good folks on the water too . Maybe we should spend more time recognizing them instead of those who we differ with . ;\)

#1195357 - 02/22/09 04:22 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: Radar]
tophat
14 Point

Loc: Springville tennessee

I fish alot of tournaments and i have meet a quite a few that are just stright out butt holes.But all in all i think most of them are ok.I have also towed any a few people evan while fishing a tournament.I will help when i can for sure.Because you never know when you will need the favor in return.
#1195640 - 02/22/09 07:38 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: tophat]
kdxdude
10 Point

Loc: Cleveland, Tn.

I was on an early season goose hunt. I had set up well before daylight, hunting a big field on an island. I was set up in the tree line between the water & land, it was very thick & I couldn't see out to the water. As it starts to get light, I start honking on my goose call. To which from the other side of the tree line I get to hear 1 of the most harsh & brutal cussings I have ever heard. The man said he was fishing a tournament, didn't wanna hear no honking while he was trying to fish blah, blah, blah. This was at a time in my life where I didn't care if I lived or died. So, i grabbed about a 6-7 lb rock & chucked it up over the brush. The man hollered & said I almost hit his boat. I told him to come on over to the bank & we could talk about it. He elected to stay out well away from the bank. He eventually left when I kept peppering cans I'd toss up into the air to shoot just for fun, although that was expensive with Steel Shot. Well, that's pretty much my experience with tournament fishermen.
#1195697 - 02/22/09 08:18 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: kdxdude]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

That's what I like about fishing the smaller lakes, there's no tournaments or jet skis to deal with.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
95 registered (feather&fly, Tn_Va_Hunter, Heavy Mass, TboneD, Roost 1, TNLynn, 15 invisible) and 121 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93226 Topics
1088614 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.184 seconds in which 0.022 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.