Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1195717 - 02/22/09 08:33 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: moondawg]
Southpaw
12 Point

Loc: Drummonds, Tn

Idiots are everywhere. I personally am a jetskier moreso than a fisherman. I have had tourney fishers come way closer to me and my kids than we have ever gotten to them. There is definitely two sides to every story. I have left many a cove (with as little disruption as possible) when I happened upon someone fishing. I carried a fisherman to his drifted away boat when it got loose from a dock at Paris. I pulled a fisherman in when he lost a prop. I mainly frequent Beech Lake in Lexington, come on out and fish. I promise that we will offer a friendly wave or hello when we pass. And I assure you that me and mine will respect your water if you will respect ours. \:\)

#1195852 - 02/22/09 09:50 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: Radar]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: Scott61

Maybe we should spend more time recognizing them instead of those who we differ with . ;\)

Scott, you don't have to look for an argument where there isn't one. Re-read my sentence about "Ninety nine percent..."

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/22/09 09:55 PM)

#1195912 - 02/22/09 10:37 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: B.D.]
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

There are definately nice tournament fisherman out there. I've ran into a fair share of them, but majority of the time they aren't the nice ones. Thats not to say that the majority of them are jerks. Last weekend I was with my dad and girlfriend at telico and there was a tournament going on. guys were fishin about 50 yards from the dock so we put and just idled away about 1/4 mile away to a cove.We didnt want to toss their boat around so we left easy as we could. We put the trollin motor in the water, and right after that they fired up their 34234234242 hp 20' platinum painted, blessed by the hands of God himself boat and FLEW to that cove and literally got right in front of us. As in their boat almost hit ours. I asked them if they wanted to just dock there boat and come stand in ours with us since they wanted to be so close.No response. Didnt catch any fish. Then went right back to where they were. They just had to throw at that bank before us. Usually when people fish around us I dont mind at all. I like to talk to em and even share a joke or two. But its uncalled for to do what they did. Its to bad theres people like that out there.

* This is not a stab at any of you tournament fishers out there. I've came across various tourny guys that were very courteous. I respect yall. Its just a small few that seem to forget the water out there is for anybody who has a fishin license or is just swimmin from a bank. Theres thousands of acres of water out there. See yall on the water. Keep your lines tight.

#1196102 - 02/23/09 07:46 AM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: cbcs1987]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I know and believe that there are polite tournament anglers on the lakes, it is just last spring when on Priest I was basically run over more times than I could count. It was unbelievable. Yes I called the tournament director and raised heck with him. I can promise if anyone would have been with me they would have not believed it. I lost count of the boats, especially the weekend that a tournament came out of Old Hickory cove boat ramp (yes it is generally closed to access but Nashville Shores let them put in there for that tournament) that fished by me, almost thowing their lures in my boat, trolling through the area I was fishing (hybrids do not like boats trolling through for the most part, at least the ones feeding on the surface), etc. and they did not think anything about it. I remember one boat that was not fishing a tournament. I would talk in some way to almost every boat that came by and it was obvious because I was in a small aluminum boat that they thought nothing of fishing under my boat. The worst of it though was them running by me at full speed within feet of my boat at top speed. That was not only stupid but dangerous.

Edited by Headhunter (02/23/09 07:46 AM)

#1196143 - 02/23/09 08:13 AM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: Headhunter]
A.K.A.
10 Point

Loc: East TN

Never had many probs from jetskis. I was family night fishing once and a guy came by me fast and close. Didn't like it.

#1196179 - 02/23/09 08:33 AM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: A.K.A.]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

My main problem with Tournaments is when you go to a public boat ramp (like Flipper's this past Saturday) for a few hours fishing before the grandkids come over, and the ramp is FULL of boats hanging around waiting for the starting gun. I didn't have time to find another ramp, so I just got in line.

One kind gentleman did hold my boat for me while I parked the truck, but EVERY dock had boats tied to all the tie down. Why can't these guys put in, get in the boat, and back off like most of them do.

I have no problem with guys fishing right next to me on the lake, I just want to be able to put my boat in and be on my way.

#1196215 - 02/23/09 08:53 AM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: Headhunter]
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
I know and believe that there are polite tournament anglers on the lakes, it is just last spring when on Priest I was basically run over more times than I could count. It was unbelievable. Yes I called the tournament director and raised heck with him. I can promise if anyone would have been with me they would have not believed it. I lost count of the boats, especially the weekend that a tournament came out of Old Hickory cove boat ramp (yes it is generally closed to access but Nashville Shores let them put in there for that tournament) that fished by me, almost thowing their lures in my boat, trolling through the area I was fishing (hybrids do not like boats trolling through for the most part, at least the ones feeding on the surface), etc. and they did not think anything about it. I remember one boat that was not fishing a tournament. I would talk in some way to almost every boat that came by and it was obvious because I was in a small aluminum boat that they thought nothing of fishing under my boat. The worst of it though was them running by me at full speed within feet of my boat at top speed. That was not only stupid but dangerous.

I know the feeling about almost gettin tipped. i have a 10 ft. jon boat some of them just LOVE to fly by.

#1196230 - 02/23/09 09:09 AM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: bowriter]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

I don't know what it is about Tims Ford, but I'd say 90% of the runabouts and jet skiers on this lake are NOT considerate of fisherman. Not to mention the weekend warriors from who knows where that like to pull 50 yards in front of you and fish the bank you're on. I've been known to start up and cut between the bank and them when they do that. . I don't plane out, but I'm going just fast enough to throw that nice big wake.. \:D . I have a feeling someone on here will disagree with that, but that's ok.
#1196526 - 02/23/09 12:33 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: Baxter83]
Mathews Hunter
12 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tennessee

Your right Baxter, Tim's Ford is pathetic during the summer time.

#1196927 - 02/23/09 05:16 PM Re: On Tournament Fishermen [Re: Mathews Hunter]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

You know, I would give all the tournament fishermen and jet skis in the world a free pass if I could get one thing:

Can we PLEASE be allowed to shoot the wakeboard boats with the high-powered stereo speakers?

Every time I go out on Old Hickory, some dingleberry in a MasterCraft starts zipping back and forth blasting Fitty Cent or Godsmack or some similar garbage so loud that my kids and I can clearly hear every obscene lyric from two miles away.

I go out on the water for peace and quiet - if I wanted to hear loud rap and grunge metal, I'd be at a club downtown, not on the water.

bd

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (TRIGGER, jbranham63, Dodge Man, Bullydog, Vermin93, BAMA BOW MERKER) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95795 Topics
1121467 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.361 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.