Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1192799 - 02/20/09 03:44 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
[quote=Headhunter]I would say that no, TU isn't about the trout at all. It's about the water.

Really?

I take it the name Water Unlimited was already taken or something? \:\)

bd

#1192834 - 02/20/09 04:17 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Lawyer boy, you're cracking me UP! Okay, I embellished, I exaggerated, I LIED!!!! \:D

I can't argue with the paperwork, but I will say this. My impression of TU, after being involved for many years, is that it's definitely not about fishing, or at least it's not meant to be. It's certainly more about the fish. But it's even more about the water.

Of course, the water leads to the fish, which leads to the fishing, which is the driving force behind the money.

Mission statement - "To conserve, protect, and restore North America's trout and salmon fisheries and their watersheds"

I think that TU would say that "their watersheds" should be first, but that would be bad marketing.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1192904 - 02/20/09 05:24 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: gil1]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Very interesting BD. I liked the part about sound fishing regulations to preserve and increase the trout population. Since that is part of their Articles of Incorporaation, it looks like TU should be involved in the discussion.

#1192927 - 02/20/09 05:59 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: scn]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: scn
Very interesting BD. I liked the part about sound fishing regulations to preserve and increase the trout population. Since that is part of their Articles of Incorporaation, it looks like TU should be involved in the discussion.

Unless there are extreme circumstances and/or there's a possibility that a fishery is being wiped out, TU will not enter fishing regulations discussion. They want to be a conservation organization, not some sort of fishing club. If they get into regulations, they open up a can of trouble.

Believe me, I wish they would speak up about regulations, but they have no opinon whatsoever. People think TU is for catch and release, but they are not. Of course they are, but they can't say it unless there's a species tha's getting wiped out.

I was as surprised as anyone by bd's document. I guess they've gotten away from the prime directive over the years.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1192970 - 02/20/09 06:39 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

I think the mission has changed from what it was at the founding. Here's a current mission statement I got from a post at another forum:

Quote:
TU Mission and Related Statements – TU.org, 2/2009

OUR VISION
By the next generation, Trout Unlimited will ensure that robust populations of native and wild coldwater fish once again thrive within their North American range, so that our children can enjoy healthy fisheries in their home waters
OUR MISSION
To conserve, protect, and restore North America’s coldwater fisheries and their watersheds.
OUR VALUES
• HEALTHY WATERSHEDS & CLEAN WATER - We are committed to ensuring quantities of cold, clean water sufficient to sustain healthy fish populations and to watershed restoration and wise fisheries management.
• WILD & NATIVE TROUT & SALMON Healthy populations of native and wild fish are the best indicators of watershed health, and we are committed to the protection and restoration of these fish where ecologically sustainable.
• STEWARDSHIP & ADVOCACY As stewards for future generations, we employ sound science and work cooperatively with a broad spectrum of interests in defending and advocating for our natural resource legacy.
• COMMITMENT TO MEMBERS We owe our uniqueness to a passionately committed, diverse, volunteer network of members who pursue our mission in their local councils and chapters. We will sustain this member network through representative governance and a continuous commitment to grassroots support, learning, and development.
• QUALITY PEOPLE In the pursuit of our cause, our most important resource is our people – both staff and volunteers – who sustain and support each other’s work.
OUR GOALS
• Strengthen TU’s leadership in coldwater conservation nationally, regionally & locally.
• Better integrate and enhance the development of the TU team.
• Increase public awareness of TU and its mission.
• Increase and motivate an effective membership.
• Diversify and grow sources of revenue.
• Achieve financial stability and security.
OUR OBJECTIVES
• To protect trout and salmon habitat by advocating integrated watershed management, good forestry and agricultural practices, and balanced land development.
• To work with federal and state fishery managers to maximize the health and population of wild trout, salmon, and steelhead on public lands.
• To support laws, regulations, and policies that protect wild salmonid fish populations and their habitat.
• To support and maximize the ability of citizens to influence laws, policies, and practices that affect their sport at the community, state, and federal levels.
• To ensure that robust populations of wild and native coldwater species once again thrive within their North American range, so that our children can enjoy healthy fisheries in their home waters.
• To ensure the protection of coldwater resources by undertaking water quality monitoring programs.
• To sponsor scientific meetings, seminars, and symposia on fishery related issues and ensure the protection of coldwater resources by undertaking water quality surveillance programs.
• To employ, as stewards for future generations, sound science practices and work cooperatively with a broad spectrum of interests in defending and advocating for our natural resource legacy.
We owe our uniqueness to a passionately committed, diverse, volunteer network of members who pursue our mission in their local chapters and councils. We will sustain this member network through representative governance and a continuous commitment to grassroots support, learning, and development

I'm no expert, and Gil knows more than I do on this. However, TU National's priority seems to be "wild and native." Maybe their stance would be different if we were dealing with the brookies in the east.

I'm not sure whether TU National's neutral stance would prevent the LOCAL chapter from weighing in, though. Just a thought.

bd

#1193100 - 02/20/09 07:56 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Interesting stuff.

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
I'm not sure whether TU National's neutral stance would prevent the LOCAL chapter from weighing in, though. Just a thought.

bd

When I was Pres. of the local TU chapter, pretty much all 1100 members in the chapter were in favor of the new regs. on the Caney. I was told by the state chairman who was told by National TU that I couldn't come out in favor of the regs. when I stood up in front of the Commisssion.

The closest I came to supporting the regulations was, "We support TWRA. We are confident that TWRA has the science and expertise to recommend this measure." Of course, that was a crock. There was no science, and we only support TWRA when we support what they're recommending.

There were a lot of angry TU folks. Instead, we lined up TU members and members from other organizations to speak in support of the regulations. They just weren't allowed to say they spoke for TU.

In other words, yes, National TU, if they knew about it, would not allow the local chapter to say anything about regulations. There have been TU chapters that voluntarily lost their charter because they felt TU let them down on this very issue.

Yeah, TU is definitely more "wild and native," but they have gotten much better at recognizing the needs of tailwaters. This is most likely just because they don't want to lose money in Texas and Tennessee and everywhere in between. Unfortunately, they won't speak to wild trout regs. either unless there's a dern good reason - not just so fishermen can catch more or bigger fish. There have been exceptions, though.

I used to have brown hair, or I should say I used to have hair, before I got involved in all this mess. Except for comlaining on this forum, I am retired from TU politics. I still love the organization, though.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (Mr.Squirrel, mossyoakmantn, paincave_2000, catman529, Harvester, Tony USMC, 2 invisible) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93135 Topics
1088549 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.107 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.