Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1190578 - 02/19/09 02:21 PM Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Who took the first cover picture for BASS magazine and where was it taken?

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1190624 - 02/19/09 02:41 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I tried to cheat on this one, but it bit me in the azz. I searched for "BASS Magazine Cover." I got some dude named Lance Bass on the cover of some really bad magazine. I'm pretty sure Lance has no interst in fishing. Girls either. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1190660 - 02/19/09 03:02 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

LOL- The picture for the first cover was shot by Jimmy Holt in Arkansas at the first ever BASS tournament. According to Jimmy, Ray Scott was sleeping in the back of his truck.

#1190779 - 02/19/09 03:28 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: bowriter]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
LOL- The picture for the first cover was shot by Jimmy Holt in Arkansas at the first ever BASS tournament. According to Jimmy, Ray Scott was sleeping in the back of his truck.

"Tennessee Outdoorsman" Jimmy Holt??

#1190850 - 02/19/09 03:50 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Baxter83]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Kind of along the lines of this, the bassmaster classic this week, my brother is in Shreveport. He is the "Yamaha" man.
I really have almost zero interest in tournaments though. Last years runins with the wannabes definitely put a sour taste in my mouth. An article on ESPN mentions one of the classic anglers complaining about the locals fishing on the Red River. I guess everyone should give up fishing other than the "pros" when they have a tournament. If they ever had a tournament of the caliber of an elite or flw on Priest, I would wear out their spots from the time they left until the next day or be sitting on them when they came out. I have had my fill of my tournament fishermen.

#1190928 - 02/19/09 04:30 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Headhunter]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
I have had my fill of my tournament fishermen.

Not to start another one of those 77 page threads but I really wish you wouldn't lump everyone who fishes a bass tournament with the jagoffs you had to deal with.

I fish a few tournaments and if someones on a spot I was heading to, I just head to another and don't think nothing about it. Sure some of the "pros" think everyone should bow down to them but not all of 'em.

I saw on TV last year where a pro on KY lake was fishing the Elite series and had a guy idling circles around him graphing the ledge he was fishing, GPSing it. If you ask me, that guy was as big a jagoff as the pros who act like they are entitled to something extra, because they're a "pro".

Let's call a spade a spade. A tool is a tool, whether or not he's even a fisherman.

#1191295 - 02/19/09 07:51 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: username]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

Before you posted the answer I was sort of doing searches on the cover and found an interesting time line on Bassmasters. From the idea up through the present.

One bullet point I found very interesting was where Ray Scott let Forrest Wood have free advertising in his Bassmaster magazine for several years after the Ranger manufacturing plant was destroyed by fire in the early 70's. He let him advertise for free until he got his business rebuilt.

#1191875 - 02/20/09 05:58 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Kirk]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Yeah, he is that kind of guy. He also stuck me with bill for a bowcase he bought at an auction and left without paying for. Well, he didn't actually "stick me" with it. I just paid for it after he walked the bill.

#1192039 - 02/20/09 07:51 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: bowriter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Username, I have spent some time fishing. More than most. I have owned a couple of nice boats. I have ridden in some of the fastest bass boats, fished from them, etc. I now mainly fish from a small aluminum boat that is pushed by a 1962 or 3 model 18 hp evinrude. I do have a 55lb thrust trolling motor on it. You will not outrun my trolling motor with your trolling motor.

One morning last year I was catching hybrids on an island, a bass boat came hauling in and started casting right at my boat and tried to get me to move so he could fish where I was fishing, he actually stated "You are not going to let me fish where your boat is, are you? I am fishing a tournament and you need to move" I said you won't fish here today. The bad part is I was done hybrid fishing and ready to go home, but I did not leave just because he was acting like the southend of mule going north in his attitude beyond the shadow of a doubt.

I was trout fishing this past weekend and talking to a tournament angler who was also fishing for hatchery trout. I mentioned that I have really been fishing for hybrids and stripers more than anything else the past 3 years. He started telling me a story how he and his dad were fishing a tournament on Priest last spring and they saw a guy catching hybrids with topwater bait and they wanted to fish the spot he was own. He said his dad said something like "he is in a small aluminum boat, we'll just pull in front of him". He mentioned how the guy in the aluminum got mad. I asked him several times did you just pull right in front of him? He said yes. I said the next time I will remember and you will go away with 4x strong gamakatsu treble hooks sticking out of ya.

Last spring I cannot even remember how many "tournament" fishermen pulled in front of me, fished within feet of my boat, ran by at 70+ miles per hour inside 100 feet of my boat (I could see where they blasted off from and they had over 1/2 mile of lake to run through and I was about 1 cast from the bank but they HAD to get where they were going fast so they ran right by my boat, I believe I knocked paint off of 2 boat motors, I was also over 1 mile from the launch ramp, it was one of the most pathetic displays of sportsmanship and downright dangerous by 50+ boats in a tournament I have ever seen) and yes I will lump probably about 75 percent of them in the same group.

I rarely meet a polite tournament fisherman when he is on the lake in the middle of fishing a tournament. I do not pull in on them and will not, but have had them fish right up to my boat and under it.

I know of 5 boats that blasted off out of Fate Sanders one Friday night and I was anchored on a drop, catching bass, and they thought they could just not only pull in on top of each other but also run me off, I stayed til they all left and banged one's boat several times with a 1/2 ounce slip sinker. He got the point.

I could keep going, I not only have several of these stories but close to a hundred. I am sure there are some polite tournament fishermen out there, but it is a rare thing.

Edited by Headhunter (02/20/09 07:53 AM)

#1192059 - 02/20/09 08:01 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Headhunter]
J Hartman
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, Maury, TN

OH, I don't want to thread jack off of the trivia question... BUT! If one of those tournament dudes did that kind of crap to me, even casted at me, I'd try mt hardest to Hit that some gun, with the largest lure with mose hooks on it I had, Right at him... If He go close I'd cast in his boat... I try to be nice when people come up on me when I'm fishing. But if they ask, hey where is a good place for"_____" ex, good place to camp, I tell them and they go on,. But don't come up on me and fish right where I'm fishing... OOOhhh, that makes me mad thinking about it.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
13 registered (trm, pcrc, BamaProud, Buzzard Breath, tn droptine, barkscraper, 3 invisible) and 55 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91379 Topics
1068318 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.