Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1192061 - 02/20/09 08:02 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: J Hartman]
J Hartman
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, Maury, TN

OH classic response to someone who comes up on you like that, Most of the time they will say something like, "catch any" or "hello" or something... I'd just say, "you know, this is a big lake"

#1192069 - 02/20/09 08:06 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: J Hartman]
J Hartman
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, Maury, TN

And besides, If they are pros, then I'm sure they can fish in more places than one spot... =)

#1192174 - 02/20/09 09:05 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: J Hartman]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I apologize for "hijacking" the thread, but for my 2 cents, which is probably about all it is worth, Tournament fishermen as a whole are barely above leeches in the fishing world. The bad part about it, is when someone pulls up, and justs asks or mentions, hey I am fishing a tournament, you are sitting where I have been catching fish, would you mind if I tried to fish for them? 90+ percent of the time I would move on and wish them the best of luck. It seems as if they almost always see my small aluminum boat and think we can fish around him and he will leave.

#1192279 - 02/20/09 10:09 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Headhunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

This is a true story and I guess I can hijack my own thread.

Several years ago, fishing PP with my late friend, Mickey Pope. Some kind of tournament going on, lots of boats. We are on fish pretty good, have the smallies on a road bed in 10 feet of water.

Here this real pretty tricked out boat. Coasts right in on top of us and the guy starts casting between us and the roadbed. Mickey does not say a word and motions me to shut up. He then picks up a surf rod and when the guy casts, Mickey casts across his line, snags it and sets the hook. He then wrapped his line probably 100 pound test, around a davit and fires up the engine and away we go.

Pretty nice rod and reel, best I can recall.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1192283 - 02/20/09 10:10 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

My favorite subject, tournament, here is a not so good picture of my brother at the classic. He is in the white or light colored shirt between the 2 wooden poles that support the dock.

He shuns the cameras, but he is on the dock when they blast off. He does say all the pros are good guys.

Edited by Headhunter (02/20/09 10:26 AM)

#1192332 - 02/20/09 10:37 AM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Bowriter, that is my typical experience with them. The only good experience I had was after they fished circles around my boat, they mentioned they were fishing the state team bass tournament or something, I basically said nothing as I was catching hybrid after hybrid. They stupidly asked if I was fishing for hybrids, I did not reply, they did point at a bank and said they were broke off 3 or 4 times by hybrids, and I caught a bunch there for several days, but that is where a lot of the other "tournament" wannabes tried to run me off also.

I do have a reel with 65 lb braided suffix and I can will tie it to a boat cleat.

Edited by Headhunter (02/20/09 10:38 AM)

#1193051 - 02/20/09 07:30 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Headhunter]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Headhunter,

None of that really surprises me considering you were on Priest. I've dealt with a few jacklegs in my fishing time too and can tell you that it's alot more frequent there than anywhere else I've fished.

I live just as close to KY Lake as I do Preist, and spend most of my time fishing there. I've never had any kind of drama like that go around me over there. Maybe you should just slap the h3ll out of 'em.

Btw, you can rest assured that you'd never have that kind of trouble out of me or anyone that I even associate with that fishes tournaments.

#1193083 - 02/20/09 07:46 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: username]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I fish a bunch of tournaments and I have never, ever got with in 100 yards of anyone fishing. They might close the distance and fish toward me but I never work toward them. Far too much water for that to be necessary.

#1193170 - 02/20/09 08:42 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: Kirk]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

I spend more time on the water as most, fish some tournaments, and have buddies that fish all tournaments. I have never had a bad run in with tournament fisherman. This is mostly on Center Hill but not Priest. I do agree though that no one should pull on top or in front of someone on purpose. I would never knowingly do it myself. The majority of the tournament fishermen on Priest may be able to be lumped into the same category, but I disagree with this for the guys that I fish with on Center Hill. A few bad apples can spoil the entire crop. This is the same with road hunters giving deer hunters a bad name. The type of people that do this give tourament fisherman a bad name. I just hate to be lumped in that category.

#1194262 - 02/21/09 09:02 PM Re: Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys [Re: TN Larry]
JRE
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I've had just as many jonboats drive right over the top of my bouy marker within 25' of my boat while fishing a tournament. Unfortunately I think it goes both ways, but for the most part the tournament fisherman have been more courteous. Seems like it's the meat hunters that think its OK to fish a spot side-by-side with other boats. I always try to stay at least 100 yards away.
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
136 registered (JAD, biglefty20, stik, Mr.Bro, THEdonkey0515, philburr, 14 invisible) and 219 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99094 Topics
1165219 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.211 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.