Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1177941 - 02/13/09 08:50 AM Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

From the Cumberland Chapter of TU...

This month we are doing our TU monthly meeting in Murfreesboro, TN on Monday Feb 16! After many comments and requests, TU is branching out to meet our Middle Tennessee members in their backyard. We look forward to seeing those TU members who travel to Nashville as well as other TU members who haven't had the opportunity make our monthly meetings in Nashville due to time and distance. As always, the public is invited.

In addition to Steve Nix, our featured speaker for the evening, I have asked Jason Henegar, Fishery Biologist from TWRA to update those in attendance on the Status of the Elk River and TWRA plans for the Elk River in 2009. Jason has gotten off to a fast start as TWRA's Rivers and Streams Coordinator since joining TWRA in 2008. If you have not had the opportunity to meet Jason, then please come and give him a warm welcome. I promise you his knowledge and dedication to the fishery will be readily apparent. Please come and learn more about the Elk River, one of our best kept tailwater secrets in Middle Tennessee!

Streamer Fishing Tactics

Whether you are fishing a Wooly Bugger or Clouser Minnow, conventional wisdom has always said, "...the easiest way to catch a big fish on a fly is on a streamer, a wet fly that imitates a small baitfish that larger fish feed on." If you can cast 20 feet, you can catch fish in streams and rivers on a streamer. You can even strip line off the reel and into the water and let the flies drift in the current and catch fish. The line swims the fly, making it look like a swimming baitfish. However, are tenets really true? Well, to find out the answer to this question and how best to tie an effective streamer yourself, you'll need to attend the November meeting of Trout Unlimited and learn from one of the best streamer fisherman in these waters, i.e., Steve Nix, local guide.

Come Learn about Streamer Fishing Tactics

If you would like to hear more fishing streamers better, then you'll want to welcome Steve Nix of Fly South and Jason Henegar of TWRA at the next TU meeting, Monday Feb 16, 2009 at Logan's Roadhouse, 740 NW Broad Street in Murfreesboro, TN 615-895-4419 . Need a map or directions, <<---Click here, I'm a Link & enter your location-->>.

Social hour at 6 pm/dinner with presentation at 7 pm.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1188168 - 02/18/09 02:28 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
Tubs just emailed me. He said he would be there, wouldn't miss it for the world. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1188324 - 02/18/09 03:34 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: bowriter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Will there be a "corn dunkers" session? Or how to fish a bead head on a spinning rod? I caught as many hatchery trout as I wanted this past weekend fishing a bead head on a spinning rod. It was fun. Who needs a fly rod to fish a fly, at least that is what several were asking as they watched me fish it on my spinning rod. I also discovered, at least for the fish I was catching, they like a small piece of flashabou added to the bead head fly.

#1188345 - 02/18/09 03:41 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: Headhunter]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

TU probably could do more to emphasize that they are a coldwater conservation group and not a fly fishing club. TU is about the trout, not what type of rod is used to catch them. \:\)

bd

#1188655 - 02/18/09 06:33 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Tubs just emailed me. He said he would be there, wouldn't miss it for the world. \:\)

LOL

Yeah, I was heartbroken I had to miss it. I heard Tubby Tubs was the speaker. it was a musky meeting.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1188668 - 02/18/09 06:39 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Will there be a "corn dunkers" session? Or how to fish a bead head on a spinning rod? I caught as many hatchery trout as I wanted this past weekend fishing a bead head on a spinning rod. It was fun. Who needs a fly rod to fish a fly, at least that is what several were asking as they watched me fish it on my spinning rod. I also discovered, at least for the fish I was catching, they like a small piece of flashabou added to the bead head fly.

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
TU probably could do more to emphasize that they are a coldwater conservation group and not a fly fishing club. TU is about the trout, not what type of rod is used to catch them. :)bd

I would say that no, TU isn't about the trout at all. It's about the water. It just so happens that trout live in the water that TU conserves. Of course, TU uses the trout to attract the fishermen and women that are going to care to conserve, restore, and protect the precious salmonid waters. They'd be hating it if they couldn't sell the trout.

There are plenty of Trout Unlimited members that are spinfishing-only or corn-only. What really surprised me was that there are thousands that have ZERO interest in fishing at all. The trout is just a byproduct of the clean water.

I'll get off the soap dish now. ;\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1189639 - 02/19/09 07:20 AM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: gil1]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Definitely no meanness in my post Gil. I just thought you might be lonely without Tubs around as much. I did catch a ton with some beadheads I tied fishing with a spinning rod. The last 2 times I went though, I got my ancient Master boron fly rod and a cheap automatic fly reel (I have a nicer reel that I paid about $150 for but I learned with the cheap automatic and it is what I fish with) out that I purchased at Bill Clay's many years ago and used it. The flies I added flashabou to seemed to work the best.

#1189861 - 02/19/09 09:05 AM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: Headhunter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Definitely no meanness in my post Gil. I just thought you might be lonely without Tubs around as much. I did catch a ton with some beadheads I tied fishing with a spinning rod. The last 2 times I went though, I got my ancient Master boron fly rod and a cheap automatic fly reel (I have a nicer reel that I paid about $150 for but I learned with the cheap automatic and it is what I fish with) out that I purchased at Bill Clay's many years ago and used it. The flies I added flashabou to seemed to work the best.

No, I didn't see any meanness at all. I was just responding as if you were saking a serious question, and a good one too.

Man, I miss Bill Clay's!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1190571 - 02/19/09 02:19 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
TU is a good organization. IF I were a joiner, I might join. I do believe it would be in their intrest to try and shed the fly-flinger image because that is the first thing the uninitated think when they hear TU.

Maybe they could go with a cover picture of Tubbs throwing dy-no-mite at the spawing muskies. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1190613 - 02/19/09 02:36 PM Re: Trout Unlimited Meeting in Murfreesboro [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
TU is a good organization. IF I were a joiner, I might join. I do believe it would be in their intrest to try and shed the fly-flinger image because that is the first thing the uninitated think when they hear TU.

I totally agree. It's a catch 22, though. If you shed the "save the spotted owl" marketing ploy, the tree huggers lose interest in the trees.

Sort of the same deal with TU. They want to attract bait chunkers and jerkbaiters and non-fishers, but if they shed the heart tugging fly flinger and trout on the magazine cover, they are afraid the Orvis type loses interest. They're probably right. Just as many plug tossers buy into clean water as fly flingers, so it's a shame.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
20 registered (camodipped, rwjjr, MUP, beachguy, Daniel n, bowriter, 1 invisible) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88247 Topics
1033846 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.275 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.