Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#1185833 - 02/17/09 11:28 AM Re: Caney Fork [Re: bowriter]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

This 40 pounder came out of Caney Fork. I caught it on a 14 inch rainbow.......

#1185851 - 02/17/09 11:41 AM Re: Caney Fork [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
JA1234
10 Point

Loc: just a hair or two north of th...

almost halfway to 10 gil1

nice fishy hill billy hunter

Edited by Joey A (02/17/09 11:43 AM)

#1185914 - 02/17/09 12:22 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: JA1234]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Well, we called you out of your sunshine lair, Tubs. I knew you couldn't resist. I'll have to agree with your whole second paragraph (if that's what you call that novel \:D ). I'm sure it's difficult to shock in a river under any circumstances, but I would imagine that low water daylight would be safer, easier, and more successful. They need to start over with a new baseline.

Yes, Tubs, I know we fly boys aren't allowed to call ourselves real fishermen, but I was asking for jerbaiter reports (like you gave) because the fly guides and avid Caney fly folks have not caught the numbers or size that they caught last year. I know we're not allowed to catch big fish or anything because we're too stupid to toss a jerkbait, but you can compare past years to this year if using the same method.

Yes, Tubs, I'm aware it's a put and take fishery. I and many more stupid fishing posers are trying to make it less of a put and take fishery. Why have size regs. at all if all you want is put and take? I'm allowed to define my own quality experience on the river just like you are. Some folks just want to catch one fish, some want to feed their families. And I'm allowed to want more, so I'm going to SCREAM it at you as long as you'll listen. \:D

You bash progressive thinking while I applaud it. Although I'm not big on Priuses either...

BW - I'm not trying to compare the ditch to wild streams - that logic doesn't interest me, but overall logic eludes Tubbs and sometimes you. Even you admitted that "pressure reduces population." All I'm saying is that stricter regulations, by definition, leads to the survival of more fish.

I'm saying that I understand that there is a segment of trout license holders that just want to take seven fish of any dern size home for dinner whether it's with a cast net or worm or fly. I don't have anything against those folks, but they are not any more important than I. It is my right to want what I want to to give me a quality fishing experience. As always, I will fight tooth and nail to get it, too.

If I get my way, they will have to change their thinking or go to the TN urban stocked waters to kill any fish they want. If they get their way, I will have to change my thinking or go to Arkansas or Kentucky or North Carolina (more delayed harvest) to get what I want. It's pretty simple, and I don't think less of anyone that has different fishing expectations than I have.

Woof. \:\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1185937 - 02/17/09 12:40 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: Hillbilly Hunter
This 40 pounder came out of Caney Fork. I caught it on a 14 inch rainbow.......

Yeah, I've caught fish in that league on skipjack and gizzards too. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the biggest advantange of trout over skipjack isn't that stripers like trout that much more. The biggest advantage is that trout are so much hardier than skipjack - they stay alive and lively in the bait tank longer, so you can spend more time fishing with good bait instead of running back to the dam to catch more.

I don't think an 8 pound brown would be your bait of choice though.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/17/09 12:44 PM)

#1185962 - 02/17/09 12:59 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Here's a question for you, Tubs - how many trout over 25" would you guess there are per mile in, say, the top 11 miles of river (roughly to the Smith Fork confluence)?

bd

#1186026 - 02/17/09 01:20 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: B.D.]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

I heard there was going to be a new fishing event in the Special Olympics for the mentally challenged. Using trout as bait was being discussed but it was later dismissed because the participants felt like it belittled their angling abilities.
#1186137 - 02/17/09 01:57 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: bob]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Sorry Bob, using trout as live bait is just smart. I am glad they stock trout in the caney, it helps the Stripers grow.

#1186171 - 02/17/09 02:12 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: Headhunter]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

I know, I was just kidding. I use Striper fillets as cut bait for big Blues. The 20 to 30 pounders are the best because the meat is just the right texture and oiliness for Ole Blue!. It beats everything else I've tried (yes even chicken breast) and best of all you can catch all of it you want FO FREE! If it freezer burns you gota throw it out though. They won't touch it if it's burnt... I bet I threw a ton of it away last year.
#1186269 - 02/17/09 02:58 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: bob]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

No, using trout as live bait sux. Perfectly legal mind you, I just think it's a waste of the resource. There is a real estate/economics term, "highest and best use." IMO, the highest and best use of a trout is to be caught as many times as possible, preferably by me. \:D

I love catching stripers - but I would never kill a trout for the pleasure. Yes, I'm a salmonid snob - save a trout, kill a shad. ;\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1186284 - 02/17/09 03:14 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: bob]
ewc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Tubs-

Your statements about shocking fish and assessing fish populations / fisheries management are idiotic.

You have no idea what your talking about.

If my goal were to shock numbers, I'd have numbers in 5 minutes. Fisheries biologists know where the fish are too. This approach (of collecting numbers of fish quickly) would only be used collecting brood fish, some age and growth, or tagging studies - not population estimates.

Finally, running an electro-fishing boat in current is just as productive / easy as it is in still waters. However, you would not know that because no one's ever pitched you the keys.

Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Daniel Willoughby) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.