Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 12 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1184021 - 02/16/09 05:07 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Uhhhh does anyone happen to remember me posting last summer that this would be a down year for the big trout?

I hate it when I am right.

I recall your saying that you couldn't kill enough fish to see the difference, that the Caney had enough big fish that you would never be able to dent the fishery. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or are you just saying we're on a downward side of the cyclical trend we always talk about?

Watch - this thread will be 10 pages. Life was getting boring anyway. \:\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1184277 - 02/16/09 07:47 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: B.D.]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
 Originally Posted By: fishboy1
Oh goodie! More regulations! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!

"Timeless" apparently remembers when the crowds were restricted to the top 6 miles, but with the ramp at the ballfields getting more traffic nowadays, that's not the case anymore.

bd

Ballfields? No one told me about any ballfields! You mean I don't have to carry my canoe from the I40 Rest stop?

#1184363 - 02/16/09 08:25 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: jakeway]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Just because me and tubs are not out there catching big trout, doesn't mean they aren't there. Have u fished with a jerk bait lately....lol

#1184916 - 02/16/09 10:07 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: trealtree]
gil1
12 Point

I haven't heard much this winter from the jerkbaiters. Surely Tubby Tubs didn't take all y'all with him down to Gatorland? I'd like to hear how the jerkers and baiters did this winter. How 'bout it Shorefisherman, Bigluresonly, etc.?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1184972 - 02/16/09 10:13 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: gil1]
JA1234
10 Point

Loc: just a hair or two north of th...

I am going in a week or two and plan on chunking minnows,corn, night crawlers, salmon eggs in red and green, and maybe a rooster tail and jerk bait or two.. I just need a 20 incher a day for the three days I am there to fill me up. \:D
#1184978 - 02/16/09 10:14 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

Yes, I'd prefer a strictly catch and release fishery, but just because I'm lovable \:D , here is the proposal I will be pushing for.

Statewide regs. is what we need for all TN tailwater fisheries.
5 rainbows and/or brookies outside the slot of 13-20 inches. 1 brown only, must be 26 inches or better.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1185006 - 02/16/09 10:20 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: JA1234]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Joey A
I am going in a week or two and plan on chunking minnows,corn, night crawlers, salmon eggs in red and green, and maybe a rooster tail and jerk bait or two.. I just need a 20 incher a day for the three days I am there to fill me up. \:D

You are selling yourself short, my friend. That's too dern hard! If your cast net has a long enough rope, you can toss that sucker off any of the bridges and clean up! Nighttime is the best time. Fry those puppies up and still leave room for a few brookies for striper bait! \:D

I can't remember if I posted it, but the last time I was up there, there were 2 young guys in a canoe-like boat who had this bigazz grille right in the middle of the boat. They were fishin' and fryin' at the same time. I assume it was legal. Dudes were offering to cook up people's fish for them while we all floated down. I wanted to be pissed but it was the funniest and most ingenious thing I've seen in a while. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1185066 - 02/16/09 10:47 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: gil1

I recall your saying that you couldn't kill enough fish to see the difference, that the Caney had enough big fish that you would never be able to dent the fishery.

I thought that was Tuba that said that. If bowriter said that, chalk me up as disagreeing.

The Caney doesn't follow natural cycles like a wild stream, where you have strong year classes and weak year classes depending on favorable conditions for the spawn. Good spawning conditions or bad, the stocking truck dumps fish in just the same.

There are two big things that affect the Caney. First is water quality, which TWRA & the Corps are improving - though some years are inevitably better than others. The second is harvest. If it takes "x" number of years to grow an 18" brown trout, and half of Nashville is down there every weekend, every year putting 18" browns on stringers, it's going to put a dent in the numbers.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/16/09 10:50 PM)

#1185072 - 02/16/09 10:56 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: B.D.]
Trapper John
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN/Decaturville, ...

I only eat rainbows.

I leave the browns for you guys.

#1185184 - 02/17/09 05:56 AM Re: Caney Fork [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: gil1
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
Uhhhh does anyone happen to remember me posting last summer that this would be a down year for the big trout?

I hate it when I am right.

I recall your saying that you couldn't kill enough fish to see the difference, that the Caney had enough big fish that you would never be able to dent the fishery. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or are you just saying we're on a downward side of the cyclical trend we always talk about?

Watch - this thread will be 10 pages. Life was getting boring anyway. \:\)

Yes, Gil, that is exactly what I am saying. Been seeing it for over 30 years. Every four to five years, you have a boomer like last year. Then you go back to normal Caney fishing. The fish are there, they just aren't in the same place. There are just not enough of those big fish caught and kept...or caught and released for that matter, to effect the fishing in the way we are discussing. And 95% of the fishermen are fishing the wrong end of the river.

It is very much like menopause.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 2 of 12 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
42 registered (TIGGREM2, lpo1981, jbranham63, Heavy Mass, duckriver, Swampster, 3 invisible) and 82 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
98976 Topics
1163451 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.059 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.