Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1172848 - 02/10/09 04:08 PM Thought You Might Enjoy This...
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Two Rivers Outdoors-With John L. Sloan
Feb-4, 2009

Uncle Lloyd, Uncle Lester…and Me.

You can have a father and you can have a mentor. Sometimes they are all in one. Sometimes not. I had a father. I had two mentors. My father was not either of my mentors. I had Uncle Lloyd and I had Uncle Lester. The fact neither of them were related to each other or to me, made absolutely no difference. I called them uncle because it was simply easier than explaining why they spent so much time with knuckle-headed kid like me. It is a bit of an honorific title in the South. A sign of respect or affection.

Now here is where I am going with this. Uncle Lloyd Dyess, the man who more or less raised me, has been dead for several years. Uncle Lester Paul, the man who slapped me silly when I needed it, is still alive and kicking like a mule that has barbwire traces. But see, the thing is, I spent a whole lot of time in a fishing boat or deer camp with Lloyd and Lester. I still spend a day or so each year with Uncle Lester.

Last week, after several years of not sharing a boat with a “Lloyd”. I did. I went fishing with Lloyd Jett. Lloyd Jett is dying. He has cancer and they have pretty much done what they can. And he is real quick to tell you that. He is okay with it. He has already beaten the doctor’s odds. I suspect his wife Sally just told him he had to.
So we went fishing.

Lloyd Jett is a lure collector and even makes some. Ever met an antique lure collector? I have only met a few. In addition to being collectors, they are raconteurs. For those who aren’t familiar with the term, that means they can, everyone I have ever known, tell story after story. Lloyd Jett is a close friend of fellow lure collector Robert Pitman. Even thought they are the same age, could be Lloyd in a way is a mentor to Robert when it comes to antique lures. I never gave much thought to lure collecting until I found out what they were worth. Then I also figured out what they cost. Lures, even old ones, are made to be fished with. (I know Kiki, don’t end a sentence with a preposition. Always end with a proposition…if you collect lures.) But anyway, Last Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning, I shared a boat with Lloyd Jett.

Old habits die hard. I had gotten in the habit of “sharing” information with Uncle Lloyd. That information in the later years, took the form of “[censored] it Unc-cast in front of the boat!” Fifty years ago that phrase was reversed. But Monday afternoon, with Lloyd Jett throwing some 500 year-old relic of a lure on a rod that was worn out when Coolidge was running the country. We caught one fish.

That is not what I was at White Oak to do.

So last Tuesday with the fog slowly lifting into a roseate kind of day Lloyd Jett and I were fishing. We swapped stories and were picking up a bass or two here there, we shared stories of times gone by and old friends who no longer shared boat. And I caught myself once, just as he set hook, about to turn and say, “Uncle Lloyd, do you need the net?” I didn’t. I faced the front and I guess I had a bug in my eye because it got pretty wet there for a minute or so.

And at some point that morning, Lloyd Jett said to me, “I’m coming back in a month or so and we have to do this again.” I assured him I’d be there whenever he was ready.

Then I had a thought. What if we could get him and Uncle Lester together at the same time for and afternoon or morning on one of the White Oak Lakes?

Once again, one more time, I could share a boat with Uncle Lloyd and Uncle Lester. Wouldn’t that be something?

And no, I have no problem calling Lloyd Jett, Uncle Lloyd
###

BTW- This is copywritten big time.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1172874 - 02/10/09 04:21 PM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: bowriter]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

#1173272 - 02/10/09 07:34 PM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: Baxter83]
huntwriter
4 Point

Loc: BC, Canada

Reading this article brought back memories of a few “uncles” in my life and I had to wipe a bug or two from the corner of my eyes too. I’ll make more of ab effort to find my uncles again before it is to late.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

#1173380 - 02/10/09 08:18 PM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: huntwriter]
LA man
18 Point

Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

good write

#1174726 - 02/11/09 12:32 PM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: ]
tophat
14 Point

Loc: Springville tennessee

Thats awsome.
#1175622 - 02/11/09 09:42 PM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: tophat]
nbforrest#3
16 Point

Loc: SE TN

If I remember correctly, you posted a pic of him a while
back.

I was wondering about the back story

Any day above ground is a good day

#1176093 - 02/12/09 08:35 AM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: nbforrest#3]
GRAMPS
14 Point

Loc: Mount Carmel, TN

Thanks for sharing. It brought back some memories of "uncles" I have shared a boat with over the years. \:\)

#1176752 - 02/12/09 02:41 PM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: GRAMPS]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

content Online
great story......

#1176788 - 02/12/09 03:14 PM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I knew something good would come out of that trip and spill out all over the keyboard. GJ.

#1176884 - 02/12/09 04:37 PM Re: Thought You Might Enjoy This... [Re: Nimrod777]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Emails have come in from 14 states. I sent it to Lloyd and he emailed me back today, just a few minutes ago. Said he would call when he could talk without breaking up. His wife said he would be there in April.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
KevinTN, gthorne, bwoodard12, front hillside, DeerBomber
13540 Registered Users
Who's Online
137 registered (TN Larry, SEC, ranafea, infoman jr., Bucky, choupique, 12 invisible) and 211 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13540 Members
42 Forums
99215 Topics
1166893 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.121 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.