snakeboots
a few calls
strut seat (worth its weight in gold)
a decoy or two just in case
Thermacell
Sawyer Permethrin
rangefinder
GPS

I think thats about it. No idea how much it will all cost.

Talk about high tech redneck. What is your list for taking a dump? If you think all that is needed I feel for you. But keep the economy going.

#1167355 - 02/06/09 03:52 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Buckmark]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Buckmark
What is your list for taking a dump? If you think all that is needed I feel for you. But keep the economy going.

I just spit my coffee all over the computer screen!

The main thing anyone needs to kill turkeys is experience hunting them. You'll only get that by doing it, although you can collapse time frames by finding an experienced turkey hunter to help you.

If you already own a "skeet" gun, why not just purchase a regular "full" choke, and use the gun you have? That's what I did for most of my life, and never felt much of a handicap in killing turkeys. And any shells you would use for squirrel hunting are adequate for killing turkeys.

All you really need is some patience, a shotgun, some squirrel shells, and maybe one of those push-button calls (or some kind of call you can use SPARINGLY and sound somewhat like a hen turkey). Everything else is just some extra icing on the cake.

#1167729 - 02/06/09 10:30 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Buckmark]
Swamphunter
12 Point

Loc: Munford, TN

Originally Posted By: Buckmark
 Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
shotgun
choke
scope
scope mount
patterning targets
turkey loads
vest
snakeboots
a few calls
strut seat (worth its weight in gold)
a decoy or two just in case
Thermacell
Sawyer Permethrin
rangefinder
GPS

I think thats about it. No idea how much it will all cost.

What is your list for taking a dump?

Just one thing:
A picture of you, so I know what I'm trying to put in the bowl.

#1167738 - 02/06/09 10:45 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Wes Parrish]
Swamphunter
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
And any shells you would use for squirrel hunting are adequate for killing turkeys.

Are you guys this broke or just cheap. The guy is looking for some input from experienced turkey hunters, not how to shoot one and live the heartache of watching it run off to be coyote food. Why would you not take advantage of technology? I been around a lot of turkey hunters in my day and I have never heard the foolishness I have read on this thread. Hunt like you want, but I will be comfortable, organized, pest-free, snake-proof, and ready to reach out there and touch him if he hangs up. Oh, I know, your birds never hang up because you are all world class turkey hunters and smarter than everyone else out there. Yeah, right. Shane, PM me if I can be of any help to you. This will be my last post on this thread. I've wasted too much time debating these idiots already.

#1167751 - 02/06/09 11:24 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Swumphunter, although I have never met you, its a safe bet reading your posts that you have brown eyes.

#1167752 - 02/06/09 11:29 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: 4onaside]
Swamphunter
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
Swumphunter, although I have never met you, its a safe bet reading your posts that you have brown eyes.

Since its such a safe bet, how much would you like to bet? I guess its now time for you to put up or shut up.

#1167839 - 02/07/09 07:45 AM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Well, like so many of your posts, anyone who voices a different opinion from yours is an "idiot". That's pretty poor, man. So, I just assumed that you were so full of it, that your eyes would be brown. No bet, I don't have the money of you affluent money people of Munford. "Nothing but the best for me", eh?

#1168080 - 02/07/09 12:54 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: 4onaside]
Swamphunter
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
I don't have the money of you affluent money people of Munford.

I wouldnt know anything about that. My wife and I go to work everyday like everybody else. We just drive paid for vehicles, a paid for boat, paid for 4 wheeler, dont use credit cards, etc. Thats why I can buy a $40 box of shells if I want them. I'm not giving my income to the banks in the form of interest every month.

#1168097 - 02/07/09 01:27 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
renegade50
16 Point

Loc: tn

lighten up guys..........
no sense in making online enemies.......

a tax paying worker voting for a democrat
is like a chicken voting for colonel sanders

#1168113 - 02/07/09 01:37 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: renegade50]
renegade50
16 Point

Loc: tn

if ya got the money to go all out and that pleases you go for it.
if you want to do it within your means then go for that also.

i figure i got the better of a grand tied up in turkey hunting stuff all together and then my license each year
but i didnt aquire all this stuff in one shot , it took me the better part of 4-5 years to aquire, 2 years ago i finnaly got a dedicated turkey gun prior to that for about 14 yeras i was using a savage stevens 311 sxs 12 ga for turkey hunting and was very successful with that gun and just the right side full barrel out to around 35 yards but over them 14 seasons with that gun i had many hung up birds or other situations where birds where out their at 40,45,50+ yards and i could nevre take a shot at them based on weapon lack of range

i rolled one hard last year at 53 yards with my mossy 835 and rhino and nitro combo i use in it.

lets not critique others hunting stlyes
even though their are some that do

to each their own

and too everyone and espically you guys just wanting to start out turkey hunting

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a tax paying worker voting for a democrat
is like a chicken voting for colonel sanders

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
79 registered (TN RDG RNR, Beekeeper, TNTomtaker01, Tnscooter63, OneShot, Pine Ridge, 14 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85291 Topics
1030864 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.225 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.