Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#1166241 - 02/05/09 07:35 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
cruff10
10 Point

Loc: Wartburg, TN (Morgan Co)

Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
 Originally Posted By: cruff10
You don't need all of that to get started.

You don't "NEED" a vest.

He is correct. You can put your calls, strikers, locators, decoys, bottle of water, snacks, Thermacell, etc. in a Wal-Mart bag and carry it in. LOL

I prefer having everything organized and readily available. Not to mention the attached butt cushion and back cushion.

Now i'm now saying I don't use a vest. It is nice just not a have to have for a beginner. You can fit everything you "NEED" in two side leg pockets just as good. I like the vest, but I take my off more than on.

Edited by cruff10 (02/05/09 07:36 PM)

#1166245 - 02/05/09 07:38 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
cruff10
10 Point

You don't "NEED" a gps.

That depends. If you are hunting 25 acres, you dont. If you are hunting 2500 acres and go to any gobbling bird you do. I mark the truck when I get out and turn it off. Then, for the rest of the day, if he gobbles I can move on him wherever hes at and never worry about where the truck is until quittin' time.

The guy has said he was a bow hunter, If he needs a gps for deer hunting then he will know he "needs" a gps for turkey hunting. But if your a hunter of any kind you don't "NEED" a gps. Sure it is nice to have one when your lost. But you don't "NEED" one.

#1166252 - 02/05/09 07:42 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
cruff10
10 Point

You don't "NEED" a scope!!!! I don't use one.

He is correct. A scope is not a neccesity, but one heck of a convenience.

I only see a scope as a inconvenience. More the weight and more that can mess up on ya. Such as being knocked off sight. If red dot the battery dieing. Just makes more that can go wrong.

Now don't get me wrong. I know alot of people that LOVE THEM and i'm "NOT" knocking it. I just don't need it...

So it is not a NEED!

#1166259 - 02/05/09 07:45 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
ShaneHallum
Good ol' Boys
16 Point

Loc: Belk Tennessee

On second thought, dont buy the snakeboots, Sawyers, or Thermacell. Just spend you day in the woods looking for snakes, picking off ticks, and swatting mosquitos and black flies. Sounds like fun to me.

Tell ya what... You go hunting without these things.. Tell me how it turns out.

I already have all that stuff from deer hunting.. Have fun picking the ticks...

#1166260 - 02/05/09 07:45 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
cruff10
10 Point

strut seat (worth its weight in gold)

True. But for less than $20, why not be comfortable?

For me this still is not a "NEED". For my type of turkey hunting, i'm a run and gunner. Never stay still until they are comming in hot a heavy. I do more walking and riding my 4 wheeler than anything.

I don't deer hunt for turkey. (Just sit and wait on one to come up) Not my style. If they ain't gobbling and coming give me a show I don't care about shooting them.

STill the seats are nice. But just some more weight to get in the way hiking in the woods for me.

Still you don't need it to kill a turkey.

#1166266 - 02/05/09 07:46 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: ShaneHallum]
ShaneHallum
Good ol' Boys
16 Point

Loc: Belk Tennessee

I got some coon huntin' boots... they work wonders.

#1166273 - 02/05/09 07:51 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: cruff10]
cruff10
10 Point

All in all, I just want people to get out in the woods and enjoy turkey hunting as much as I do. I think alot of info on here was misdirected. If someone else was to read all of this that has never turkey hunted might get the wrong impression and think it is tooo expensive for me to try it. That is why I make the comments like I did.

I know in today's time it is hard just to go out and buy a gun and all kinds of hunting stuff just for a bird.

Sorry if this got out of hand.

All in all it can be as expensive or as "Cheap" as you want to make it. Just like anything else.

All in all enjoy the woods in the spring it is a blast!!! Best time of year for me to be out there!!!!

#1166517 - 02/05/09 10:01 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: cruff10]
Swamphunter
12 Point

Loc: Munford, TN

strut seat (worth its weight in gold)

True. But for less than $20, why not be comfortable?

For me this still is not a "NEED". For my type of turkey hunting, i'm a run and gunner. Never stay still until they are comming in hot a heavy. I do more walking and riding my 4 wheeler than anything.

I don't deer hunt for turkey. (Just sit and wait on one to come up) Not my style. If they ain't gobbling and coming give me a show I don't care about shooting them.

STill the seats are nice. But just some more weight to get in the way hiking in the woods for me.

Still you don't need it to kill a turkey.

We are the same type of hunters. If I cant get on a gobbling bird I would rather go crappie fishing. I know some folks that build a blind, sit down, call every 15 minutes, and stay all day. They kill turkeys, but its not for me. I want to hear gobbling and spitting and drumming, and see him strut. I am not going to sit there all day if the birds aint hot. Too many slab crappies spawning in the shallows. On the other hand, if I hear one every once in a while, I can stay all day trying to kill him.

#1166522 - 02/05/09 10:03 PM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: cruff10]
Swamphunter
12 Point

Loc: Munford, TN

You don't "NEED" Thermacell, Sawyer Permethrin

Im not sure where you hunt, but I dare you to come to the Hatchie Bottoms without a Thermacall and treating your clothes with Sawyers. The ticks will eat you alive, if the mosquitos and black flies dont carry you off first. And these Hatchie Bottom pests think Deep Woods Off is a "come and get it, supper's on" aroma.

One thing that has supprised me about turkey hunting is I have only had 1 tick in 5 years turkey hunting on me. ONly seen 1 black snake (now i'm screwed ! ha) Never had a mosquito problem either... But then again, maybe we know why you are call "Swamp" hunter. I hunt in the high mountains! Never had any issue with these....

I guess I didnt realize you mountain boys dont have many mosquitos and ticks. Count yourselves as lucky. They are heyall in the river bottoms of West TN. We have enough for the whole state!

#1166986 - 02/06/09 09:50 AM Re: Cost of Turkey hunting.. [Re: Swamphunter]
Buckmark
4 Point

Loc: TN

A gun that you have patterned and know it's effective range, shells, camo, basic call ( I recommend a slate), land, patience and time.
Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
15 registered (Mr.Bro, RodBone75, sees all, Master Chief, Planking, 762hunter, 4 invisible) and 75 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85367 Topics
1031544 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.232 seconds in which 0.015 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.