Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1148144 - 01/26/09 07:40 AM Things "newbies" should keep in mind
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I want to help. I hope nobody gets irritated by my comments. But I pretty sure the idea behind Tndeer is for hunters to talk, relate, learn, help each other.

Here goes:

Who am I?

I am a bowhunter first, a deer hunter second, a mature deer hunter third.

I BOW killed my FIRST deer at AEDC in 1981. I have competed in COUNTLESS archery tournaments. Indoors and out.

I have EVERY single deer that I have EVER killed logged onto a spread sheet. EVERY deer. Along with photo albums, KILL TAGS, and pertinent info about such things as wound, distance to shot, weather, recovery distance, etc. I also have ACTUAL video footage of many of my kills. For me, it is a GREAT hobby.

I've owned and killed deer with about 15 different bows.

I've shot, and killed deer with ALL kinds of broadheads.

I know some things about Archery. And I'd like to help any and all would be bowhunters, to be successful.

When you are considering buying a new bow, always remember that there are some BASIC guidelines to consider. As far as I can tell, these guidelines have NEVER changed. I am pretty sure they are governed by the laws of Physics.

In general, as arrow speed increases, accuracy suffers. Let me explain. (And PLEASE remember, the ultimate goal here is to make you a better BOW hunter, though these MAY apply to target archers).

Generally speaking, FAST blazing speed bows are associated with SHORT brace height. Brace height is simply put as the straight line distance between the webbing of your bow hand contact part of the bow, and the string.

To the extreme...a 9 inch "bracey" (brace height), will generally be a slow bow when compared to a 6 inch bracey.

BUT...the arrow will leave the string of the 9 inch MUCH quicker than the 6 inch bow. THis allows for less bow hand torque and thus more accuracy downrange.

The 9 inch bracey bow while slower, will generally have much tighter groups.

This is an OVER simplification of a bow characteristic. But it is an IMPORTANT one. This is why it is SOOOO critical that the would be buyer of a bow shoot the bow first to see how it shoots for them. Generally, most hunters accuracy will benefit from a little slower and more accurate bow.

It is important that archers not fall into the speed trap and sacrifice accuracy along the way. Some archers can shoot short brace height bows accurately and some benefit from a longer bracey. Point is, find the "happy medium" of speed and accuracy that works best for you.

SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#1148275 - 01/26/09 08:55 AM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: 102]
JayMc
10 Point

Loc: TN

Who would get irritated by helpful comments?

Good stuff 102, thanks for sharing!

#1148282 - 01/26/09 08:59 AM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: JayMc]
POSSUM HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: Over yonder

good stuff 102

Theoretical Flash Mob founding member

Daytime crew part time member

#1148318 - 01/26/09 09:30 AM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: POSSUM HUNTER]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Sharing and learning is what it's all about brother.... thanks, good post!!

#1148333 - 01/26/09 09:57 AM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
WTM
8 Point

Loc: CAMDEN, TN

excellent post. might i add, that cam choice can make a huge difference in forgiveness with beginning shooters. round wheel or soft cams may not be blazing but plenty fast to kill deer. i remember my first hard cam bow, a machflite 4. it was fast at that time, but vibration and torque felt like it was jerking my arm out of socket. i just had to have one cause my brother had one. sold that thing and went back to a soft cam setup.

single cam can be a good compromise between the two, but in todays world people wont settle for adequate, but demand performance and sometimes over accuracy. i bet if folks would settle for adequate they would be a little happier and might put a few more deer in the freezer.

#1148408 - 01/26/09 10:39 AM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: WTM]
10 Point

WTM,
Nice add!
Hard cam bows are usually associated with hard string roll over. And worse yet...narrow valleys and a HARD back wall. I've shot bows that allowed for NO forward creep at all. Instead almost pulling your shoulder out of socket during let-off. This can make for difficulty when hunting and either having to bend at the waist or let down on a deer who just takes forever to "step out".

#1148642 - 01/26/09 12:32 PM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: ]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

Good Post 102. There is a lot of factors that affect a bows shootability or forgiveness. Brace height is one of them. A biggee. Cams, Reflex or Deflex geometry, axle to axle length, limb angle, draw length and weight, all these things also affect shootability in varying degrees. That is why it is so important to shoot lots of bows and get the one that feels right. Most beginning archers would be much better served with a medium performance and priced bow that the latest and greatest. I compare it to teaching a 16 year old boy how to drive in the family sedan or the uncles rail dragster. It's the same concept.

Everything in archery is a tradeoff. Nothing comes without a price.

Accuracy is king and speed is the clown prince.

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#1148748 - 01/26/09 01:05 PM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: Hoss]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: Hoss
Good Post 102. There is a lot of factors that affect a bows shootability or forgiveness. Brace height is one of them. A biggee. Cams, Reflex or Deflex geometry, axle to axle length, limb angle, draw length and weight, all these things also affect shootability in varying degrees. That is why it is so important to shoot lots of bows and get the one that feels right. Most beginning archers would be much better served with a medium performance and priced bow that the latest and greatest. I compare it to teaching a 16 year old boy how to drive in the family sedan or the uncles rail dragster. It's the same concept.

Accuracy is king and speed is the clown prince.

I agree .

#1148973 - 01/26/09 03:29 PM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: Radar]
10 Point

Accuracy is king and speed is the clown prince. [/quote]

Truer words were never spoken!

Edited by 102 (01/26/09 03:43 PM)

#1149141 - 01/26/09 05:39 PM Re: Things "newbies" should keep in mind [Re: 102]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

My .02

Bow hunting is a game of mistakes. Make few/no mistakes and your success will go up.

Scrutinize your equipment with the idea that you will remove potential mistakes from your set up. Usually that means simplify.
Especially when starting out!

There are trade offs to every shortcut.
ex.
A pendlum sight will remove the potential mistake of picking the wrong pin at the moment of truth. BUT it is a piece of equipment that can fail, get bent, or even fail with a piece of grass or twig in the pivot thus adding a potential mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (jdtf, Model70Man) and 95 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.