Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1142250 - 01/22/09 12:24 PM TiminTN and others: Patterning Questions
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

1) Do you believe it's worth the effort to clean your bore between shots, and if so, how do you do it?

2) How much do you typically see pattern centers vary, from shot to shot?

3) When you change choke tubes, then come back to a prior choke tube, does this effect your pattern center relative to the last time you used that particular choke tube? (My thinking on this last question is that if you screwed the tube in just a little more or less, you could shift your pattern center.)

#1142275 - 01/22/09 12:38 PM Re: TiminTN and others: Patterning Questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Turkey Forum Police
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I don't clean the inside of the barrel unless it's been raining out or just a couple of times during the season. I do clean them right before season opens and after a season closes where I would be using it also. It's not very practical that a hunter would carry a cleaning kit in the woods to clean between shots, shoot it like you would while hunting with it.

Mine doesn't change much/if at all as far as I can tell. Using a scope/red dot I just center the pattern with the cross hairs/dot and that's been it for me.

It shouldn't change anything, and you should be tightening the choke tube down all the way and then periodically checking it to make sure it is staying tight.

#1142300 - 01/22/09 12:50 PM Re: TiminTN and others: Patterning Questions [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

Wes..Pretty good reading on Nitro's site

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

#1142366 - 01/22/09 01:44 PM Re: TiminTN and others: Patterning Questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
1) Do you believe it's worth the effort to clean your bore between shots?

When you change choke tubes, then come back to a prior choke tube, does this effect your pattern center relative to the last time you used that particular choke tube?

1.) No

2.) As long as it is tight, your fine.

Edited by Buckblaster (01/22/09 01:45 PM)

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#1143217 - 01/22/09 09:41 PM Re: TiminTN and others: Patterning Questions [Re: Buckblaster]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

i think people worry to much about it.
#1144567 - 01/23/09 05:56 PM Re: TiminTN and others: Patterning Questions [Re: Hawk]
renegade50
16 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Hawk
Wes..Pretty good reading on Nitro's site

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

ques #1 yes
best info there is out is on the nitro site. aside from spending hundreds of dollars doing gunsmith work
lots of off the shelf things you can do inexpensively to get the most out of your setup

go to a range and watch your pattern go down hill after several shots (3-5) in pellet count and pattern denisity and uniformity

you really cant tell the difference between your 1st and second shot but it dose go down hill rapidly after that

if ya want to give all shots an equal footing while testing loads and chokes it is worth the 5 minutes to clean and it aint that hard or long to do

drop a rod with a wet solvent patch 2-3 times thru your barrel
then dry patch it twice
then run a bore snake thru it 2-3 times, takes all of about 5 minutes to do this whole procedure

polishing your bore with jewelers rouge/ polish /paste also helps out your patterning with smoothing out the bore and its "imperfections"

then again i dont know a darn thing about about any of this stuff and i am a big green horn when it comes to anything to do with guns.......................
so it is best to not listen to any advice i give at all \:\/ ;\)

ques#2
sometimes none at all if you clean between shoots
sometimes maybe 2-3 inches off center, but you still have so many kill hits it wouldnt matter
but then again i pretty well can feel if have pulled a shot from recoil anticipation and that sucks when that happens so by keeping targets it gives you a history of how the gun shoots so when you get one of those confidence destroying off center patterns you can take a break look back and check other targets and then realize mentally it was you and not the gun, then clean and fire again for a confidence boosting center patterned target.

ques#3
i thought about this alot when i was doing all chokeology and shellology experiments when i finnally retired my old fixed choke savage stevens 311 sxs and got a mossy 835
and i actually saw impact changes on the same chokes when i would switch them back and forth and then go back
and i do beleive it was linked to tighten of the choke
i actually experienced choke thread stretch with a carlson .675 nonported hevi shot choke and it was very concerning at 1st cause i thought my barrel threads might be affected but they were not (thank god!!!)

the only 2 chokes i would reccomend for a mossy 835 would be a truglo strut stopper extreme .670
not the gobble stopper extreme at wally world
but the strut stopper extreme

and the rhino .680
have not tried indian creek chokes, nor will i.....
cause i think the rhino and nitro combo is the apex for off the shelf products that bring out the most in a turkey gun

once again dont listen to me. cause i dont know squat and i just blew 350 dollars 2 springs ago doing all this chokeology shellology experiments cause i enjoy severe shoulder pain \:\)

and as jackscreek said in another thread
watch out for the MMEDP if you wind up with a setup that reaches out their aways............
maximum mandatory ethical distance police
\:D \:o \:D \:D \:D

Edited by renegade50 (01/23/09 06:28 PM)

a tax paying worker voting for a democrat
is like a chicken voting for colonel sanders

#1144662 - 01/23/09 06:54 PM Re: TiminTN and others: Patterning Questions [Re: renegade50]
TiminTN
12 Point

Loc: Memphis,Tennessee U.S.A.

If you are hard core about it then cleaning between shots will give you the highest percentages. I am not that hard core.

The center of the pattern will always drift without optics. There is no way anyone can shoot this much recoil with beads off a bench and keep the shots centered. I can do it much easier with optics and a sweat shirt folded as extra padding when testing 15 to 20 rounds of 2 to 2 1/4 OZ loads.

Drifting patterns are not the only drawback, but many barrels do not shoot to point of aim at all. The sole reason I went with optics.

I want my research, and bruised shoulder, to be glorified by KNOWING that gobblers head is right in the middle of the swarm I am about to unleash.

#1154556 - 01/29/09 06:58 PM Re: TiminTN and others: Patterning Questions [Re: renegade50]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: renegade50
i actually saw impact changes on the same chokes when i would switch them back and forth and then go back
and i do beleive it was linked to tighten of the choke

That's exactly what I thought was happening last year when I was going back & forth between different choke tubes.

Think I'm just going to experiment with different shells this year, and not remove the turkey choke tube that's in there now.

Originally Posted By: TiminTN
Drifting patterns are not the only drawback, but many barrels do not shoot to point of aim at all. The sole reason I went with optics.

I want my research, and bruised shoulder, to be glorified by KNOWING that gobblers head is right in the middle of the swarm I am about to unleash.

Main reason I went to optics was because I could no longer clearly see my sighting plane and the target simultaneously. Wish I had gone to optics years ago --- much better period, even for young eyes.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
66 registered (TN hunter, Dodge Man, bvoss, archer19, TNRifleman, BigPete357, 9 invisible) and 123 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85394 Topics
1031826 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.224 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.