Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1141989 - 01/22/09 09:05 AM Competition shooting bows
CoastieHunter
4 Point

Loc: Southaven, MS

OK, this might be a "rant" but also a little bit of insight for me.

I picked up my first bow "PSE Gamesport" when I was about 10 yrs old and began shooting. I had a great coach (my dad, eventhough he never shot a bow) and a nice indoor range in Dallas we would go to twice a day. I was one of the youngest people there and I got tips from a lot of old timers. Well basically with that Gamesport (hunting bow NOT target shooting) I managed 4 "robin hoods" and got to where at 25 yrds would consistantly shoot a lifesaver. I would go through about 5-8 knocks in about 1 hour of shooting.

My question is this:

Why would you buy a bow 3x's more expensive that you can only use for target shooting? Why not buy a hunting bow 1/2 the price and use it for both?
I mean a target bow you can't exactly hunt with with a 3' stabalizer, cams the size of watermelons etc...

#1142017 - 01/22/09 09:20 AM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: CoastieHunter]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

People buy target bows for many reasons. I'll list a few. Many target bows are bought due to colors that are flashy, not camo. The pic cams/modules with lower weights. Especially indoor, your goal is to get bullseye. Doesn't matter if gets there at 300fps or 200fps.

#1142114 - 01/22/09 10:19 AM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: JeepKuntry]
POSSUM HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: Over yonder

alot of companies will give the top shooters a bow that is a specific color and design then they can put it on the shelf and charge an extreme amount........ with that said Hoyt and Mathews puts a lot of money into there compition bows and they shoot well, if you can afford them.

all the 3D i have shoot was with my hunting bow

Theoretical Flash Mob founding member

Daytime crew part time member

#1142146 - 01/22/09 10:51 AM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: JeepKuntry]
JayMc
10 Point

Loc: TN

Why do people buy more guns than they "need"?

Why do my golf buddies buy new drivers 3 or 4 times a year when they don't "need" them?

It's all about choices and priorities. ;\)

#1142184 - 01/22/09 11:26 AM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: JayMc]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

One thing to consider is that some people just like the sport of archery target shooting and do not hunt. I actually know quite a few people that are like that. You gotta admit, target colors do look pretty good out on the 3D courses. It gives it sort of a custom look. So that's one reason.

For the people that hunt and shoot 3Ds, often the bow they select for one or the other is way different. Competition shooters favor longer bows say in the 36-40 inch A-A range, with a 7+ inch brace height, non aggressive cams, and lots of bling bling on accessories. The sights are normally on long bars away from the bow, and range from moving sights with scopes to fixed pins in the .019 to .010 range (vs the normal hunting setup with fixed pins in the .029 range). They tend to shoot long stabilizers with v-bars that actually change the stabilization of the bow...where as hunters use shorter stabilizers with the goal mainly to dampen noise/vibration. And then you get into arrow selection...target shooters want light weight, thin walled fat shafts for cutting scoring lines. Most prefer target nibbs for their closer weight tolerances, reared up with short low profile vanes for shooting flatter. Hunting shafts are leaning more towards thicker walled, smaller diameter heavier shafts. Reared with higher profile vanes/feathers for better steering with broadheads. And of course most shoot aluminum inserts in them for screw in broadheads and points. Two totally different worlds.

Sure, you can have one bow and do both with the same setup but it's a lot easier just having one bow set up for hunting and one bow set up for target. They do have special classes where you can still be reasonably competitive with your hunting setups (they have restrictions on what type of equipment you can use).

#1142269 - 01/22/09 12:36 PM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: Crow Terminator]
CoastieHunter
4 Point

Ok.. with that said.

It's my personal opinion that it's a waste of money to buy a "target" bow for 2k worth of bling bling when I could do the same thing with my $200 bow.

Only difference was with mine I couldn't bullzeye all day long at 50 yards like theirs can.

I understand it's a preference and what ever floats your boat.

It's just crazy in my mind. More of a ranting thread really.

Guess I could buy a million dollar lambo or buy a yugo and dump 30k into it and it would be just as fast.
Apples to oranges I suppose.

#1142286 - 01/22/09 12:43 PM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: CoastieHunter]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Originally Posted By: CoastieHunter
Ok.. with that said.

It's my personal opinion that it's a waste of money to buy a "target" bow for 2k worth of bling bling when I could do the same thing with my $200 bow.

Only difference was with mine I couldn't bullzeye all day long at 50 yards like theirs can.

I understand it's a preference and what ever floats your boat.

It's just crazy in my mind. More of a ranting thread really.

Guess I could buy a million dollar lambo or buy a yugo and dump 30k into it and it would be just as fast.
Apples to oranges I suppose.

Are you saying you can do that with a hunting rig? or are you saying you can trick out your hunting rig to shoot targets?

Edited by Fordman (01/22/09 12:51 PM)

#1142295 - 01/22/09 12:47 PM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: CoastieHunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I don't own a target bow , but I wont fault those that do . In general without going into great detail , target bows usually have a longer ATA , and are specifically setup for target shooting , while hunting bows tend to be shorter and setup for hunting .

#1142305 - 01/22/09 12:53 PM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: Fordman]
CoastieHunter
4 Point

[/quote]
Are saying you can do that with a hunting rig? or are you saying you can trick out your hunting rig to shoot targets? [/quote]

Do what? Shoot accurately at 50yrds? No I can't and never have. I could shoot decent at 40, great at 30, excellent at 20, forgetabboutit at 10

I never "tricked" out my hunting bow. It was a basic PSE gamesport with Easton Arrows and 100gr field tips.

And I'm not ragging on people buying a target bow only. I just think you get more for your money buy buying a "hunters" bow -vs- a competition bow. One you can only use for one thing, the other you can use for both.

#1142306 - 01/22/09 12:55 PM Re: Competition shooting bows [Re: Radar]
CoastieHunter
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Radar
I don't own a target bow , but I wont fault those that do . In general without going into great detail , target bows usually have a longer ATA , and are specifically setup for target shooting , while hunting bows tend to be shorter and setup for hunting .

Exactly, but as stated earlier. A hunting bow can be used for both. A target bow; for the most part, cannot be used for hunting. I suppose you could but to take a 2k bow in the woods and risk it isn't worth it to me.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (backroads, T.J., donkey5150, Poleaxe, Vermin93, ffmedic, 6 invisible) and 148 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93396 Topics
1090541 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.13 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.