buckdead
8 Point

Loc: southern middle tn

\:\) LOL!!

#1140407 - 01/21/09 02:14 PM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: buckdead]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Take the money you would spend on that and spend it on habitat improvements for turkeys that will be around for years to come.

#1140432 - 01/21/09 02:28 PM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: Buckmark]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: Buckmark
I works really well on my property. I start feeding this time of year and by spring they are showing the results. I also spray Rogaine on it before putting it out. By spring time I don't have to use a gun because the gobblers are tripping over their beards. My best so far is 36 and 5/8 inches.
Well, I was going right along until you mentioned that you sprayed Rogaine on the product. I'm sorry, but isn't Rogaine applied as a topical? I have used Rogaine on their beards, but catching them to spray the beards is a real challenge. I usually dig a pit and get in it. Then when the turkey walks by, grab him by the leg. And your 36 and 5/8 inches is also rather hard to believe. The best that we have had is an even 21 inches. Of course, that was a jake.

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#1141361 - 01/21/09 09:00 PM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: 4onaside]
WTM
8 Point

Loc: CAMDEN, TN

melanin is the only compound that causes beards to grow. a bird lacking in melanin will have short beards or no beards. they sometimes look like you cut them off with a pair of scissors. some folks call it beard rot.

a feed high enough in copper to put a warning label on it, should be banned imo.

#1141597 - 01/21/09 10:33 PM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: WTM]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

I killed a jake on our place that I was told was afflicted with "beard rot". The bottom half of the beard was blondish red. I also killed a Merriam in northern New Mexico with a good thick and long black beard, with no discoloration. However, about an inch or so off of his chest, the beard looks as if someone took some scissors and cut some off each side. The people on the place where I killed it told me that it was as a result of freezing, the beard freezing, becoming brittle and breaking off.

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#1141648 - 01/21/09 11:29 PM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: 4onaside]
WTM
8 Point

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
I killed a jake on our place that I was told was afflicted with "beard rot". The bottom half of the beard was blondish red. I also killed a Merriam in northern New Mexico with a good thick and long black beard, with no discoloration. However, about an inch or so off of his chest, the beard looks as if someone took some scissors and cut some off each side. The people on the place where I killed it told me that it was as a result of freezing, the beard freezing, becoming brittle and breaking off.

that reddish blonde color is a sure sign of low melanin. some folks call it beard rot. melanin is a mineral that gives color and strength to feathers and scales. the dark spots around the edges of the scales and the black color of the beard are melanin.

when a jake first starts growing his beard it will start out thin and blonde in color. this is because it is low in melanin. as he gets a few months older his body has more melanin so his beard gets darker. as he reaches 2 years old the very tip of his beard will be blond.(this is from his first growth). as he reaches 3 the blond tip will have worn off.

BUT, from a jake to a 3 year old bird, anywhere in between that time his body can become deficient in melanin. this causes a weakening in the beard for that period of time. it will show up as a thin straight line across the beard, blond in color. as his body replenishes in melanin normal coloring and strengthening continues, but that straight line of weakened beard can break off as evenly as you cut it with scissors.

the merriam's you mentioned could have very well been frozen and the bird stepped on his beard and broke some off. if it didnt have any discoloration (usually a very thin line of blonde) then thats probably the case. turkeys commonly step on their beards, wear them off, etc. especially when feeding.

Edited by WTM (01/21/09 11:37 PM)

#1141670 - 01/22/09 12:26 AM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: WTM]
WTM
8 Point

here is something i found on melanin deficiency:

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/articles/aging3.htm

i had that same book about 10 years ago called "After the Hunt" that explained it in great detail, along with how to skin, process, make different mounts, turkey biology, etc. good book if you can find a copy.

Edited by WTM (01/22/09 12:27 AM)

#1142237 - 01/22/09 12:15 PM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: ]
WTM
8 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
I don't put anything out. Good nesting habitat will bring the hens and the gobblers will follow. I would say that anything by HS is pretty much a scam, and probably not going to do much. Their products are pretty shabby and cheap.

i do like their diaphram calls.

#1142316 - 01/22/09 12:59 PM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: ]
jackscreek
10 Point

Loc: Jacks Creek, Chester County, W...

Originally Posted By: captain hook
I would say that anything by HS is pretty much a scam, and probably not going to do much. Their products are pretty shabby and cheap.

The turkeys in my 'hood don't give a rat's left whisker about how pricey and pretty a hunter's calls are. That's why my vest has nothing but HS Strut friction calls in it! I have completly fooled and lured many longbeards to their demise using them.

#1142338 - 01/22/09 01:17 PM Re: Supplemental Turkey Feeding [Re: jackscreek]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

That's the brand I started with too, got 4 birds to show for it too! Maybe I'm just that good..... . I'm playin, I just get lucky at times.... ;\)

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Nooga Hunter, RAFI, jdtf, FrontierGander, Nimrod777) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.