Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1127368 - 01/13/09 05:36 PM Just ordered my first bow!!
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
After tons of internet research and shooting a total of 5 different bows at BPS, I made my decision. BPS Nashville had a Parker Trailblazer in 60-70#. I thought I would give it a try even though the draw was higher than what I had been pulling on all the other bows (50#). I was amazed how smooth the cam was on the Trailblazer. I was able to draw the 60# every time. I know that I will still need to build up my strength to be able to draw 60# while sitting in a chair, but I was able to draw it standing up without "cheating". IBO speed is listed at 302 and AMO is 230. ATA is 32.25", brace height 7.5" and weight is 3.5 lb bare. Retails for $419.00.

This is where it gets interesting. Against advice here I took a risk and ordered the bow from Cabelas. They are having a clearance on 2008 bows and they were selling the bow without any accessories for $299.89! Since I planned on changing some accessories on the Trailblazer package, I thought why not just build it from the ground up. I called Chad that was working with me at the BPS Archery Shop and told him that I made a business decision and ordered the bow online, but would still need his help to build it up and tune it. I told Chad where I got it and he told me that Cabelas was in financial trouble and was under cutting BPS by $100.00 on some items. I explained that business is business but I would still be coming in to get all other accessories. Well, I think he is a good guy and he will still help me build the bow. Anyways, I am pumped up about adding Limbsavers, string leeches, Hostage rest, Tru Glo Extreme sight, peep sight, sling, etc. etc.

Please add any items I need to put on this new bow.

#1127395 - 01/13/09 05:56 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: UTGrad]
paradis1142
10 Point

Loc: crossville tn

Stabilizer

USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

#1127402 - 01/13/09 05:59 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: paradis1142]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

STS

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#1127418 - 01/13/09 06:09 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Buckblaster]
backstraps
12 Point

Loc: NE Tennessee

congrats UT.. Its an exciting time getting the first one and getting it setup to you! Best of luck!

#1127471 - 01/13/09 06:41 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: UTGrad]
TheAirMan
16 Point

Loc: Moss, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
he told me that Cabelas was in financial trouble and was under cutting BPS by $100.00 on some items.

I got to call bs on that one. Its sounds like you have listed about everything you need. Congrats on the new bow! Good Luck!

#1127474 - 01/13/09 06:42 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: backstraps]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Good luck with your first bow .

#1127543 - 01/13/09 07:06 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Radar]
A.Hall
Formerly "Spoon"
Non-Typical

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Nice

#1127666 - 01/13/09 07:53 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: A.Hall]
Buck Assassin
10 Point

Loc: cocke county, TN

congrats on your new bow!!

Round here we follow the motto "K.I.S.S" KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

#1127940 - 01/13/09 09:17 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Buckblaster]
UTGrad
14 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Buckblaster
STS

What's that?

#1128064 - 01/13/09 10:02 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: UTGrad]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

String stop system. string supressor.

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#1128073 - 01/13/09 10:05 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Buckblaster]
Bertman
16 Point

Loc: TREESTAND

that's what I have.I think you will like it.

#1128083 - 01/13/09 10:09 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: UTGrad]
Yank
6 Point

Loc: Dunlap/Sequatchie Co.

Nice! I think you made a good choice! Ya may want to get the Hostage Pro instead of the standard Hostage rest< it isn't as adjustable.

#1128102 - 01/13/09 10:20 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Yank]
UTGrad
14 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Yank
Nice! I think you made a good choice! Ya may want to get the Hostage Pro instead of the standard Hostage rest< it isn't as adjustable.

Thanks!

#1128280 - 01/14/09 06:28 AM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: UTGrad]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

Cabelas is not in trouble. He said that because he was upset that he spent time with you and you went elsewhere to buy it. I would be upset as well. He WILL NOtT give you as good of service from here on out. Did you ask him if he would match their price? rookie move on your part. Like cheating on your girl friend. Ha!
#1128291 - 01/14/09 06:37 AM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: richmanbarbeque
Cabelas is not in trouble. He said that because he was upset that he spent time with you and you went elsewhere to buy it. I would be upset as well. He WILL NOtT give you as good of service from here on out. Did you ask him if he would match their price? rookie move on your part. Like cheating on your girl friend. Ha!

Against the advise of many members of this forum . These types of "business decisions" are what drives many good proshops out of business . Customers go into a proshop ,and the bow tech measures the person's draw length and sets up a few bows for testing . After the customer chooses the bow , they find it online a little cheaper . Don't expect great service at BPS . You will pay more in the long run.
I'm happy you got a bow , but not the method you went about it .Probably not a good move in the long run .

#1128304 - 01/14/09 06:55 AM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
14 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Radar

Against the advise of many members of this forum . These types of "business decisions" are what drives many good proshops out of business . Customers go into a proshop ,and the bow tech measures the person's draw length and sets up a few bows for testing . After the customer chooses the bow , they find it online a little cheaper . Don't expect great service at BPS . You will pay more in the long run.
I'm happy you got a bow , but not the method you went about it .Probably not a good move in the long run .

This is like a person working for a company for years and then dropping the bomb on them that they found another job. When asked why, they tell them that it is because of money. The employer gives a similar speech I received here.

With things being tight for everyone, a wife that I have to negotiate with which she deserves to know what I am buying and if I can show her that I saved $100.00 on the bow it will put her at ease, I had to move. Like I said business is business and I am thankful for this website and everyone that helps out on here, but I took a risk here. I feel that if I purchase all of my accessories from the BPS shop which will total to about $350.00, I will have at least met them in the middle. The guy at BPS even told me that the charge was not that much for a tune up if I bought my bow elsewhere. I mean, BPS doesn't sell Matthews, but if someone came in and bought $350 of accessories, then they can't complain about that.

I'm in sales for a major trucking company here in Nashville and I understand when customers have to go with a carrier that has beaten us pretty bad on price. It is my understanding that BPS is not matching the Cabelas clearance prices.

Anyways, I did what I did so I could maximize my potential on accessories, since I haven't even bought a tree stand yet.

Edited by UTGrad (01/14/09 06:56 AM)

#1128323 - 01/14/09 07:11 AM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: UTGrad]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

I guess I am different. Being in sales myself I do not understand your logic. I believe in loyalty.
#1128372 - 01/14/09 07:58 AM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: ]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

I gotta agree with the others. Because you bought the bow elsewhere, your not gonna get as good of service. Even if you buy the accessories. I'm not familiar with BPS but some places get a kickback for selling bows, guns, larger dollar amounts. With all that being said, hopefully the bow is a good match/starter bow for you.

#1128584 - 01/14/09 09:59 AM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: TheAirMan]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TheAirMan
he told me that Cabelas was in financial trouble and was under cutting BPS by $100.00 on some items.

I got to call bs on that one. Its sounds like you have listed about everything you need. Congrats on the new bow! Good Luck!

Ditto. Cabelas is a publicly traded company. Here's their financials for the past several years. This stuff is available on-line for anyone interested in investing. Doesn't look like they're in trouble to me.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/statemnt.aspx?symbol=CAB

#1128718 - 01/14/09 11:43 AM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: richmanbarbeque]
UTGrad
14 Point

content Online
I guess I am different. Being in sales myself I do not understand your logic. I believe in loyalty.

The best customers are the loyal customers. I have customers that I will do anything for, but with the current situation, I starting to see people shopping, even those loyal customers. If BPS offers the Parker at $499 with the accessories Parker put on there, but Cabelas offers the bow for $299 bare, that is a large difference. I can put on a much higher quality sight, STS, rest, etc, etc and meet the BPS $499 with higher quality components. Please understand where I am coming from. If I gave someone a rate quote of $500.00 and they can get the same service at $300.00, I don't expect them to use my service. Instead, it is my responsibility to get with my people to see what I can do to match that rate. If I can't match the rate, fine but I wouldn't screw them the next week when they bought from me. I would hope they would understand and when I come in to buy $150.00 of components, they would take my business and help out all they could to get me to come back, even if I don't buy EVERYTHING from them.

$50.00 is one thing, but $200.00 is not negotiable, it is what it is.

#1128734 - 01/14/09 11:53 AM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: richmanbarbeque]
UTGrad
14 Point

content Online

$200.00 price difference isn't really a rookie move, I am not made of money.

#1128962 - 01/14/09 02:31 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: JeepKuntry]
LCU
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co

Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
I gotta agree with the others. Because you bought the bow elsewhere, your not gonna get as good of service. Even if you buy the accessories. I'm not familiar with BPS but some places get a kickback for selling bows, guns, larger dollar amounts. With all that being said, hopefully the bow is a good match/starter bow for you.

I did buy a Drenalin bare bow used off the net. Saved me half the price of a new bow. Huge savings.

I took the bow to a small but good Mathews dealer and bought sights, quiver, rest, stab, release, string sup,and a dozen Carbon Express Maxima arrows,and broadheads. Block 4X4.
Several hundred dollars of stuff.

I went with the Qad Pro rest,and everything top of the line.
Spent much more on the accessories than what I paid for the bow itself.

I told them up front that I bought the bow used,and would buy everything to set the bow up from the,including the labor to install everything.

They said they appreciated the business,and refused to charge me labor to do the work.
Point is that they made a large sale,and I go back to them for everything hunting realted including the Rocky boots I wear.

I see your point,but can tell you I did not buy my bow from the,but they are giving me excellent,IMO, above average service.

And I tell everyone about them.
Lawsons in Loretto.
Ask for Wade
Glock

It's all about the hunt.
Taking game is just a bonus.

It's the Indian,and not the Arrow.

#1129006 - 01/14/09 02:53 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: LCU]
Radar
Non-Typical

You really can't compare a package deal to a bare bow . Accessories will add up quick , especially when you will be charged setup cost now . ;\)
Arrows - $60
Broadheads- $25
Tru Glo Extreme- $40
Hostage Pro- $60
Sling- $8
Peep sight- $5
STS - $40
Kwickee quiver- $28
Simms S-coil stabilizer- $16
String Loop = $3
= $225 min.
In addition to setup costs of $50 or more depending on where you go and how much setup and tuning they do .

Good luck with you bow , UTgrad .

#1129043 - 01/14/09 03:08 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Radar]
LCU
10 Point

A bow is not something I would ever buy at Bass Pro.
Don't want them setting my bow up,and doing work on it.

Find a good local bow shop that cares about their customers,and stick with them.
Glock

It's all about the hunt.

#1129076 - 01/14/09 03:15 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: LCU]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: LCU
A bow is not something I would ever buy at Bass Pro.
Don't want them setting my bow up,and doing work on it.

Find a good local bow shop that cares about their customers,and stick with them.

Proshops cannot remain in business with shoppers buying their bows online . ;\) We lost some good ones here in Tn. last year for the same reasons as I stated earlier .

#1129325 - 01/14/09 05:49 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Buckblaster]
LCU
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Buckblaster
String stop system. string supressor.

I have a Duravane. The model with the harmonic dampener.
I put in on and take if off. Can't decide it if does much.
My Drenalin is so vibration free as it is.

Logic tells me it should work. I have it on now. Be sure to use a serving, or the string wear is noticable.
Glock

It's all about the hunt.

#1129483 - 01/14/09 07:11 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Radar]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

i would gladly pay more in price for the service and knowledge you get in a proshop. if i were the BPS tech, i would tell you to take it to cabelas.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1129540 - 01/14/09 07:41 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Buckblaster]
pjridge
8 Point

Loc: PC

Congrats. Have fun..

#1129572 - 01/14/09 07:56 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: pjridge]
UTGrad
14 Point

content Online
Well, maybe I am just crazy but this is a free enterprise economic system. As I said, if it was a matter of $50.00, I would of purchased bow on sight, but the same bow without any accessories at BPS is $100.00 more plus local sales tax. Anyways I am pumped about my new bow.
#1129581 - 01/14/09 08:01 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
14 Point

content Online
You really can't compare a package deal to a bare bow . Accessories will add up quick , especially when you will be charged setup cost now . ;\)
Arrows - $60
Broadheads- $25
Tru Glo Extreme- $40
Hostage Pro- $60
Sling- $8
Peep sight- $5
STS - $40
Kwickee quiver- $28
Simms S-coil stabilizer- $16
String Loop = $3
= $225 min.
In addition to setup costs of $50 or more depending on where you go and how much setup and tuning they do .

Good luck with you bow , UTgrad .

Thanks, I think this bow will be a shooter. One thing I will add is it is better to start with a bare bow and throw on good accessories up front than by the package bow at a higher price then replace most of the accessories. I figured out after stopping into BPS today what the difference would have been. I saved about $100.00 going the route I went.

The guy at Bass Pro is a honest guy and told me that he has done the same thing I did. He said, "Man, if I can find a good deal like that I would take it". He said when I am ready bring it by and he would be happy to set it up for $20 set up fee. I'm in good shape now.

#1129583 - 01/14/09 08:03 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: UTGrad]
turkeyhunter64
8 Point

Loc: TN

Well, maybe I am just crazy but this is a free enterprise economic system. As I said, if it was a matter of $50.00, I would of purchased bow on sight, but the same bow without any accessories at BPS is $100.00 more plus local sales tax. Anyways I am pumped about my new bow.

I'm with you on this one...I buy based on price..Bottom line is price with me. I'm up front about it and give everyone the same opportunity to earn my dollar.

#1129615 - 01/14/09 08:23 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: turkeyhunter64]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

Congrats on your purchase and good luck with it. The only thing I wondered is did you ask the Bass Pro guy if they would match the price? I used to work 5 miles from BP at Opry Mills and if I found something elsewhere cheaper they would match it. I even get sale catalogs from them that plainly say Internet and Phone or Internet and Catalog orders only, not good in store. Guess what...I've taken the catalog in with me and they've honored it more than once. Not trying to beat you up or nothing, just saying. Just because of all the stuff that has to be set-up on a bow I prefer to buy from a reputable archery shop myself but again, good luck and I hope everything works out great for you.

#1129736 - 01/14/09 09:24 PM Re: Just ordered my first bow!! [Re: Gravey]
NateUK
4 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

You have to do what you think is right for you UTGrad, and that's what it sounds like you did. Congrats on your purchase and have fun.
I'm lucky that I have a dad that's been bowhunting for 30 years so I have my own personal bow setup man.
I'm going to go pick it up and set it up next weekend. I'm looking forward to it.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (JayMc, 51 pointer, 280longshot, fins&fur, Recoil, HDUKE1986, 20 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91596 Topics
1070606 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.092 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.