Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1116954 - 01/06/09 09:02 PM My first problem shooting a bow
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Well, I went to BPS and shot a Bear Game Over today. It was my first time to shoot a bow. The draw weight was 60#. It was a b*** pulling it back to get it to let off. The first two I was able to get it to let off, but the third shot I couldn't get it. After waiting a bit I got it to let off. I was having to aim high to get leverage to get it to pull off. Well, after reading some of y'all's draw weights, I'm a little concerned. Should I get a 60# bow, have it tuned down to 50# to practice and build some strength, then bump back up to 60#? I feel 50# is too light for deer hunting.
#1117049 - 01/06/09 09:42 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: UTGrad]
JayMc
10 Point

Loc: TN

50# is fine for deer hunting. I know people who kill deer with less pundage than that. You're probably using different muscles than you do for anything else. It won't take long and you'll build endurance.
#1117064 - 01/06/09 09:48 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: UTGrad]
Yank
6 Point

Loc: Dunlap/Sequatchie Co.

Try a single cam bow, or a double cam bow with less aggressive cams. The more aggressive the design of a bow's cam or cams, the faster the bow is. But you pay a price for this increased speed. Bows with aggressive cams are hard to draw and can be difficult to shoot accurately.

I suggest you try several bows before you purchase. When I started back bow hunting I went thru five before I found one that fit the way I wanted it to. You'll get a bunch of differing opinions and can spend a lot of money on setups but only you will know when its right. ;\) And beware of anybody that starts throwing brand names at'cha!

BTW, I shoot a BowTech! \:D \:D \:D

#1117089 - 01/06/09 10:02 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: Yank]
UTGrad
14 Point

I will try some different models and poundage weights. I hope to build some more strength for getting the bow to let off.
#1117274 - 01/07/09 04:20 AM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: UTGrad]
Buck Assassin
10 Point

Loc: cocke county, TN

50# is fine for deer hunting.When I bought my kronic back in May I couldnt even get 60# halfway back the guy turned it down to 50# and I could shoot 10 to 12 shots before I got tired.I took it home and after abought a month I turned it up to 55# and now can pull 60# no problem.So your muscles will strengthen pretty quick.

Round here we follow the motto "K.I.S.S" KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

#1117277 - 01/07/09 04:30 AM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: Buck Assassin]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

I have watched very strong guys struggle to pull 65# back. Different muscles, timing etc. Within a few days drawing 60# will be very easy...unless you are related to jokerp. Ha!
#1117300 - 01/07/09 05:49 AM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Bows have different draw cycles based on cam design . You should opt for a smooth draw cycle with less emphasis on speed . A good pro shop would reduce the draw weight to a manageable weight for you to try out .50 lbs. is enough to kill a deer . Ted Nugent uses a bow with a draw weight around 50 lbs. , so if Uncle Ted can , you can too ! \:\)

#1117854 - 01/07/09 12:14 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: Radar]
NateUK
4 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I've been out of bow hunting for about 8 years now, but my dad is setting one up for me to get back into the sport. When I went to draw back his bow, it took me a few minutes to be able to smoothly draw it back. His is set at 62 pounds. I was able to draw it back 3 or 4 times, but it will take me a little bit of time to retrain my muscles.

Like others have said, start at 50 pounds and work your way up. It won't take long for your muscles to get used to the motion.

#1117859 - 01/07/09 12:17 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: NateUK]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxvegas

My wife has killed deer with just under 40#. A well placed arrow is the key.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#1117873 - 01/07/09 12:27 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: bobthebowhunter]
LCU
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co

The poundage draw is bow specific.
I can draw and hold a 70# Drenalin,easier than some other 70# bows.

But I shoot a lot and already have rotator cuff issues,so I shoot 60# limbs.

It's a deer killing machine at 60#,and am glad I went with these limbs. I gave up some arrow speed,but it is great for the hunting I do.
Glock

It's all about the hunt.
Taking game is just a bonus.

It's the Indian,and not the Arrow.

#1117904 - 01/07/09 12:44 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: LCU]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

Like I said before.

You dont need 70 lb. draw weight to kill a deer no more than the man in the moon. When I first started, I shot 2 deer with 52 pounds and shot slap through them. It will kill a deer just fine.

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#1118217 - 01/07/09 03:26 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: Buckblaster]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

My wife just got a BowTech Equalizer. It's on 42 pounds right now. It zipped her arrow through the chrony at 265 FPS and that is just with 26" draw and 42 pounds! Shooting an arrow that is 30 grains heavier over IBO spec of 5 grains per pound. Tell me that wont zip through a TN Whitetail and stick in the ground on the other side. \:\) My first few bow kill deer were killed with a 50# High Country at 25" draw length shooting a Lincoln log arrow (Easton 2213 aluminum) with 125 grain Thunderhead. I bet it didn't even shoot 200 FPS and even it got pass thrus on the 3 deer it hit.
#1118258 - 01/07/09 03:45 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: Crow Terminator]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

Penatration has more to do with the spine of the arrow and kenitic energy than speed IMO.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#1118260 - 01/07/09 03:47 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: LCU]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

One other thing i wanted to add is..Make sure the draw of the bow is not too long for you. I have a more difficult time drawing any bow if the draw length is too long.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#1118314 - 01/07/09 04:10 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: bobthebowhunter]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: bobthebowhunter
Penatration has more to do with the spine of the arrow and kenitic energy than speed IMO.

Speed is a major factor in the KE equation , along with mass . The spine of the arrow is the deflection or stiffness of the shaft . A 500 carbon shaft when tested with a weight in the center has a deflection of .500 for a given length , where as a 340 shaft will have a deflection of .340 .

#1118576 - 01/07/09 06:30 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: Radar]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

Without getting too techy what I was trying to say it that I would rather have a slower arrow with more "mass" than a screaming fast arrow with a weak spine.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#1118597 - 01/07/09 06:38 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: bobthebowhunter]
UTGrad
14 Point

I shot a Parker Legend today with 50# draw weight and it was very comfortable. I shot a couple of nice groups and shot with my eyes closed to "feel" the bow. The Parker felt nicer when I picked it up than all of the other bows in the archery shop.
#1119114 - 01/08/09 04:16 AM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: UTGrad]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
I shot a Parker Legend today with 50# draw weight and it was very comfortable. I shot a couple of nice groups and shot with my eyes closed to "feel" the bow. The Parker felt nicer when I picked it up than all of the other bows in the archery shop.

Sounds like that is the bow for you . Did they check your draw length ?

#1119466 - 01/08/09 10:17 AM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Radar

No, just a test run. I told them I am just learning technique and didn't want to get into draw length till I have proper form. I don't know if this is similar, but I would rather develop a sound golf swing then get fitted for a set of clubs than have a poor swing and get fitted.

#1119504 - 01/08/09 10:44 AM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: UTGrad]
JayMc
10 Point

Loc: TN

I am a golfer, trust me it doesn't work that way.

You can't develop proper form with an improper DL. You will have to alter your form to shoot well with an improper DL. You should figure out your DL, at least in a narrow range, then shoot bows in your DL to evaluate which is best for you.

#1119551 - 01/08/09 11:18 AM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: JayMc]
TheAirMan
16 Point

Loc: Moss, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: JayMc
I am a golfer, trust me it doesn't work that way.

You can't develop proper form with an improper DL. You will have to alter your form to shoot well with an improper DL. You should figure out your DL, at least in a narrow range, then shoot bows in your DL to evaluate which is best for you.

Ditto.

#1119622 - 01/08/09 12:16 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: TheAirMan]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

There is no text book form to shoot. Some will say there is, but everybody is built differently and perfer different things. You'll just have to figure out what draw length feels best. Then if you can't shoot worth a darn then lengthen or shorten accordingly. That's How I did it. The bow shop told me I was a 29.5 in draw. OK. I couldn't hit dirt. I ordered shorter mods and it felt better and I shot alot better to. So just bare in mind that what the bow shop tells you might be close but not perfect based on my experiances.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#1120115 - 01/08/09 04:33 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: UTGrad]
Radar
Non-Typical

No, just a test run. I told them I am just learning technique and didn't want to get into draw length till I have proper form. I don't know if this is similar, but I would rather develop a sound golf swing then get fitted for a set of clubs than have a poor swing and get fitted.

You need to try a bow at the correct draw length . It's like trying on shoes that don't fit if you don't get your draw length measured first .
It is VERY IMPORTANT ! Trust me . Just to get close , get an arm span measurement from the website I linked to one of your posts .
If you don't try out bows at the correct draw length , you will not get an accurate assessment of the draw cycle and feel of the bow .
UTGrad , here is a good selection guide to help you choose the right bow for you . If you read anything regarding compound bows , this is worth your time .
http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

#1120282 - 01/08/09 06:39 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: UTGrad]
pjridge
8 Point

Loc: PC

You are headed in the right direction. In archery, comfort with a proper setup, will lead to confidence and is the key to accuracy, always.

You have some very good advice above.
Good Luck.

#1120547 - 01/08/09 08:46 PM Re: My first problem shooting a bow [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
14 Point

You need to try a bow at the correct draw length . It's like trying on shoes that don't fit if you don't get your draw length measured first .
It is VERY IMPORTANT ! Trust me . Just to get close , get an arm span measurement from the website I linked to one of your posts .
If you don't try out bows at the correct draw length , you will not get an accurate assessment of the draw cycle and feel of the bow .
UTGrad , here is a good selection guide to help you choose the right bow for you . If you read anything regarding compound bows , this is worth your time .
http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

That was the Holy Grail of info on selecting a bow! Thank you Radar, that was great.

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (pressfit, Fearless, tn droptine, JN, Tony USMC, bigfoot318) and 56 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90926 Topics
1062484 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.064 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.