Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1110932 - 01/03/09 09:35 AM Re: problems with bow [Re: Toxophilite Phil]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: Toxophilite Phil
Shot placement is everything. Along with woodsmanship. If the shots were perfect as you say then you should have meat in the freezer. Tracking is one of the toughest jobs in hunting. You can make a fake blood solution and have some buddies lay some trails for you to practice on. Get in on every blood trail you can. Learn what hurt deer do. It is a hard lesson to learn but it does make you a better hunter in the long run.

I agree , Phil .One thing I have experienced over the years , is that even on a good lung hit , there are times when good blood doesn't start until after the first 40-50 yards . They can cover allot of ground with each leap when they run off .
On high hits without an exit , they may cover 100 yards without leaving much blood at all because the blood has to travel farther down a deer's side to reach the ground . That is when you may find more blood on the sides of saplings or weeds , 2-3' off the ground .No two blood trails are the same .

We are accountable for choosing , and maintaining our equipment , becoming proficient with that equipment and every aspect of the hunt , including blood trailing and recovery . Blaming our equipment for everything never resolves the underlying problem , taking responsibility for the outcome . ;\)

#1110936 - 01/03/09 09:39 AM Re: problems with bow [Re: TheAirMan]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: TheAirMan
How long are you waiting after the shot before you go after them?

My thought as well. The equipment sounds right and if its tuned and the shot placement correct the only way I see you could lose the deer is to go after it to soon. I have shot a number of deer over the years and many of them were not pass through shots, but recovery of a good shot was never difficult.

John 15:13

#1111141 - 01/03/09 02:35 PM Re: problems with bow [Re: Unicam]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I understand and great info. I always wait about an hour if the deer goes out of my sight or i wait even longer all depends on my shot. Dont you guys think at 30 yds or less i should get a pass thru? Not blaming equipment just wondering if its my choice of equipment?
#1111252 - 01/03/09 04:25 PM Re: problems with bow [Re: ]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: grant913
I understand and great info. I always wait about an hour if the deer goes out of my sight or i wait even longer all depends on my shot. Dont you guys think at 30 yds or less i should get a pass thru? Not blaming equipment just wondering if its my choice of equipment?

Not always . Penetration depends on many factors . Kinetic energy , broadhead design , momentum , and perfect arrow flight are key when considering equipment options , but shot angle and placement are the primary , controllable factors when your equipment is good . When you strike bone , it will impede penetration .
If you have lost that many deer , you are doing something wrong . I suspect your shot placement isn't as perfect as you are thinking , because of shot angles .
I think you are hitting the shoulder .

#1111356 - 01/03/09 05:54 PM Re: problems with bow [Re: Radar]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Yep, Radar I think you got it pegged. Thate a pretty high loss rate. I thought I had a perfect shot on a doe earlier this year, ended up the shot was high, forward and of course the arrow was in the other shoulder so no exit wound and a high angle on the shot side made the deer extremely hard to track.

John 15:13

#1127204 - 01/13/09 03:40 PM Re: problems with bow [Re: Unicam]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

The video is in the QDM forum. It is hard to tell due to the speed but the deer should be dead even though the shot may have been a little too far back. It looks like there was penetration up to the fletching. There may not have been much blood but the deer should have been dead b/w 100 and 300 yards depending on if he was pushed and if the shot was forward enough to get lungs. JMO

#1129986 - 01/15/09 07:24 AM Re: problems with bow [Re: TN Larry]
xtremeoutdoors
4 Point

Loc: greeneville TN

Isnt the mini blasters a expandable if so any expandable will take more energy upon impact and will sometimes hinder penetration. like Radar said its very important to have it properly setup and in my opinion the paper tune is just a starting point for tuning the bow. If you have all the specifics we can calculate your KE and that will tell us a little more about the penetration. The KE is greater on some bows than others even though you can achieve certian speeds i shoot a 300 grain arrow from my setup and ive only had 1 deer that wasnt a pass through and that is because i spined him. Ive had pass throughs at 45 yards. So im like the others i dont think its your equipments fault also the blades need to be unused and very sharp too. Oh yea if your still needing a new string im offering that service and a complete tune up as well just let me know.
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (Puddleduck, WRbowhunter, leader, BUCKTOOF, 1908_Cubbies, Webfeet15, 8 invisible) and 192 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96024 Topics
1124418 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.