Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1070940 - 12/07/08 12:30 PM Caney Fork
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

Well I drove down 40 yesterday towards Nashville and this river snaked under the interstate about 3 times and it got me a little curious. I know I have seen a few of you post some NICE trout pictures on here. I was just curious if there are any smallmouth out there? We thought about makin a trip down there sometime while we can still afford it and gas aint high.

Edited by cbcs1987 (12/07/08 12:31 PM)

#1070941 - 12/07/08 12:31 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: cbcs1987]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

there are 5 interstate crossings.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1072072 - 12/08/08 08:59 AM Re: Caney Fork [Re: ]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

They're mostly in the tribs of the Caney...namely the Smith Fork. Shore has a picture of one he got there earlier in the year that I believe was around 4-5 pounds. Nice fish. I'm sure there are a few relic monsters in there too somewhere. Anything that is big enough to feed on trout [which trout did show up in the stomachs of smallmouths in studies on Dale Hollow] will get huge. I have also heard that there are still remnant musky populations in the Caney below Center Hill and possibly in Old Hickory and Cheatham as they naturally did occur there.
Interesting notion...I think they shoul dbe stocked in those lakes besides as well as all the others in the Cumberland Tennessee River chain...TVA lakes. They'd do great.

#1078584 - 12/11/08 12:05 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
I have also heard that there are still remnant musky populations in the Caney below Center Hill and possibly in Old Hickory and Cheatham as they naturally did occur there.

Don't think so. Above Center Hill maybe, but not below.

bd

#1078841 - 12/11/08 01:56 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: B.D.]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

Loc: Brush Creek, TN

I have seen them come from Smith Fork, and also a few from Cordell Hull and Old Hickory
#1081564 - 12/13/08 09:19 AM Re: Caney Fork [Re: Chris Tripp]
Tubakka
6 Point

I know BD. Actually ask Bowriter, he's the one who said that a while back. I KNOW for a fact there is a naturally reproducing population of muskies in Center Hill...and personally I think they need to supplemental stock it. Center Hill doesn't have a predator like a striper conceding with the other fish but has enough forage to go around. It would make a GREAT musky fishery with little to no impact on the other speices. On the contrary, when muskies get active, everything else has to move too or else it gets eaten. Makes the bass stay shallower longer alot of the times, whereas if they were the top of the food chain, they'd be dormant more of the time. They're usually too fast for musky to get on a consisten basis, plus those brutes are usually occupied with carp, suckers, redhorse, and shad which are ALL plentiful in Center Hill. It would be a great fishery...if anything, the fishery in the lake above it stands to tesify that.

Chris...do you mean smallmouth or muskies?

#1081568 - 12/13/08 09:21 AM Re: Caney Fork [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Oh, by the way, the reason I know about the Center Hill muskies is that I've caught them and I nkow where they spawn and when. But its in such an area that head hunters and folks who think they're destructive could decimate a population.
#1081862 - 12/13/08 04:53 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

I don't know how much potential Center Hill has for a muskie fishery. In highland impoundments, they seem to want to go deep and seek cool water during the hottest part of the summer. A great example of this is the muskies in Dale Hollow. The problem in Center Hill is that the optimum summer water for them is a bit starved of oxygen (due to the nutrient load). As of the middle of last July, the water at 30 feet was at 3.2 ppm and at 35 ft it was all the way down to 1.8 ppm. That corresponds with temps in the mid-60s, which is their ideal temp zone. Not an ideal situation. I didn't get updated numbers for later in the year but I'm sure 02 was even worse then.

Not saying that some can't survive, but in my opinion the stress would be a limiting factor to the viability of a large population.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (12/13/08 04:54 PM)

#1082065 - 12/13/08 07:20 PM Re: Caney Fork [Re: B.D.]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

Yeah tubs, its like catch 22 for them muskies in that area , cause most people prefer bream and bass to catch and consume. But some folks think the muskies would harass their catches and kill them just for that reason.
I like to catch them muskies for sport, but dont need to mess with their fragile population!

#1083779 - 12/15/08 08:42 AM Re: Caney Fork [Re: shorefisherman]
Tubakka
6 Point

BD, That is VERY good footwork, and great data. The thing is though...the reason I speak for Center Hill is that...it already does. Talk to any walleye fishermen that fishes Rock Island in the winter, and they'll tell you. Most of them have muskies stories of fish up to 50". I've personally hooked into them down there that big, and had one follow up that was a bump above that, in fact biggest musky in the wild I've seen to date. Lots of healthy fish in the mid 30 to low 40" range. They do great in there, I guarantee. They have the same general optimum growing temps as the walleyes, and the walleyes do fantastic in there. You must realize I come from growing up fishing a musky lake that would develop a thermocline at 15 feet in the summer time and the water would stratify down there in the mid to high 70's which is fine in fact great for musies unless they get caught, then they can often die, which was a serious problem in the summer time. They threatened to move legally against musky angling, but to be frank...just as many muskies were caught by i ncidental bass anglers, SO what are they going to do CLOSE THE LAKE? Foolish...just stock more fish to compensate for the mortality in my opinion. My point is we know they have a great naturally reproducing population ABOVE Center Hill with fresh incoming water from several spring system fed feeder creeks, with very little dispersal area considering Great Falls riverine nature. And I know for a fact this goes against the fisheries study I received...but...well...being a spoonplugger we routinely troll down to depths of 20-30 feet and beyond [I lose control around 55 feet trolling on standard tackle] and even when the biologists on Kinkaid were saying no fish could live below 15 feet in the summer time we'd routinely get bass and muskies down to 22-25 feet and even once at 30 where I quote, there was no dissolved oxygen. I've heard it several times where people have witness fish via camera living where they shouldn't be able to even breath. Frankly, I have no idea how or why, and I think it is to note that most of the fish down in those depths are rarely active nad hard to catch most of the time, but...one never knows. That's just personal experience; I can't blame biologists for thinking what they think, because I would too had I not experienced it but...

...long story short, muskies would be an amazing addition to the rich systems strung all along the Tennessee and Cumberland river systems, and are already prevalent in Center Hill in the upper stretch [I know a good source who claims that a few times in the spring, you can actually see a mass movement of muskies as they funnel into the upper end of Center Hill to spawn near Rock Island] and to be frank, man it'd sure be fun to latch into one of those running up the Caney to hit-and-fade some rainbows and browns.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (tn droptine, Jcalder, levergunner, BamaProud, Zulu, Beekeeper, 2 invisible) and 38 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91626 Topics
1070945 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.