Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1061308 - 12/01/08 10:55 PM what is the best way to process it your self?
Webbie
Spike

Loc: Smith CountyTN,

after cutting off all the meat is it best to freeze it immediately frst or wash it then freeze? Also what's the best way to get that taste out like the gamey deer taste? Any advice?

#1062727 - 12/02/08 04:30 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: Webbie]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Originally Posted By: Webbie
after cutting off all the meat is it best to freeze it immediately frst or wash it then freeze? Also what's the best way to get that taste out like the gamey deer taste? Any advice?

go buy beef, geesh

FDXX75

#1063874 - 12/03/08 06:06 AM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Southpaw
12 Point

Loc: Drummonds, Tn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

go buy beef, geesh

FDXX75

#1068037 - 12/05/08 05:39 AM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: Southpaw]
SALECREEKHUNTER
8 Point

Loc: Sale Creek (backwoods), TN

eat more chicken

#1068064 - 12/05/08 06:08 AM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: Webbie]
DBLAARCHERY
Woodpile Boys Neighbor
14 Point

Loc: Cannon County Outback

Don't pay any atention to them...The gamey taste is due to two reasons...
1. Deer could be older
2. Depends on how quick you go from field to freezer...
I have spent alot of time in my buddies meat processor and have seen many diffrent ways of doing it...This is how I process my deer...

1. Gut and clean blood off meat ASAP...
2. Chill or cool animal as fast as you can...(this means if it is hot out don't ride around town for 2-3 hours showing your deer off).
3. A.If it is warm I like to quarter out my deer and place in cooler for a day or two allowing blood to drain out of meat...(don't forget to keep ice on meat and leave drain plug open...
B.If it is cool, 45 or lower I like to skin deer and hang for atleast a day...Make sure you do not place in the direct sunlight...This will allow rapid bacteriea to grow...also try to cover with cheese cloth or game bags...Keeps flies from laying eggs on meat...
4. once you have your meat quartered and chilled time to debone...My advice is to stop by your local meat processor and ask to watch them cut meat...Although you will not pick up on everything they are doing...You will get a good idea how to start...
5. once you have cut meet place in gladd baggies or I like to use the game saver bags and seal them up...

This is not something you are going to be fast at for the first time but the more you cut up the more you will learn...you will also tweak your skills everytime you cut...Happy eating...

Aaron

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...Teach him how to fish and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!

#1069350 - 12/05/08 06:22 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: DBLAARCHERY
Don't pay any atention to them...The gamey taste is due to two reasons...
1. Deer could be older
2. Depends on how quick you go from field to freezer...
I have spent alot of time in my buddies meat processor and have seen many diffrent ways of doing it...This is how I process my deer...

1. Gut and clean blood off meat ASAP...
2. Chill or cool animal as fast as you can...(this means if it is hot out don't ride around town for 2-3 hours showing your deer off).
3. A.If it is warm I like to quarter out my deer and place in cooler for a day or two allowing blood to drain out of meat...(don't forget to keep ice on meat and leave drain plug open...
B.If it is cool, 45 or lower I like to skin deer and hang for atleast a day...Make sure you do not place in the direct sunlight...This will allow rapid bacteriea to grow...also try to cover with cheese cloth or game bags...Keeps flies from laying eggs on meat...
4. once you have your meat quartered and chilled time to debone...My advice is to stop by your local meat processor and ask to watch them cut meat...Although you will not pick up on everything they are doing...You will get a good idea how to start...
5. once you have cut meet place in gladd baggies or I like to use the game saver bags and seal them up...

This is not something you are going to be fast at for the first time but the more you cut up the more you will learn...you will also tweak your skills everytime you cut...Happy eating...

Aaron

Ok, I can agree with @ 95% of the above. There are more than two reasons deer can have a gamey taste. But, if you are expecting venison to taste like beef,chicken,veal or pork.....it won't happen. Venison tastes differently as it should. I have hunted for 30 yrs now, been processing deer with the family for over 40. I have never once sent one out to be processed, In all my yrs I have only had two deer (both bucks) that where nasty and went into the grinder.

It all starts with the field dressing and care of the the animal in the next several hrs.

Get it field dressed and opened up to start cooling, if the temps are below 40 degs you are ok, above that get it somewhere to hang in a cooler or get it skinned, quartered and chilled down soon.

I don't understand the soaking in ice water thing.............? I worked in many resturaunt and never once have I seen a steak soaked in water, burger or any meat for that matter.

Soaking red meat in water makes it tasteless and plain.

I will normally hang a deer at least 5-7 days temp permitting (hide on) or 7-10 days in a refrigerater quartered on cookie trays and covered in plastic wrap to prevent drying out.

I debone and seperate the muscle groups....steaks, chops, stew, etc. When done vacuum seal, label with marker, date and in the freezer.

If you have the chance to watch someone skin & quarter one, it will help you greatly, deboning as well. Once you have done one yourself it is very easy after that. It is time consuming, but worth every since minute of the time at the plate.

FDXX75

Edited by FULLDRAWXX75 (12/05/08 06:23 PM)

#1069676 - 12/05/08 10:07 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Webbie
Spike

Loc: Smith CountyTN,

thanks ... i have done it myself a couple of times but am still just learning. i know it aint gonna taste like pork or chicken i just wanted to know how other people did theirs. thanks for the advice an not being a smart ellic... i guess i have been cutting off the meat too soon and not letting enough blood drain out. thanks again.

#1069799 - 12/06/08 07:20 AM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: Webbie]
bo man
4 Point

Loc: Jonesborough TN

Unless it is a bad shot I do not wash before freezing. I use paper towels and dry our the cavity good after field dressing. When cutting it up I will trim off any areas needed.

As far as the gamey taste, I just make sure to cool the meat ASAP and keep it clean. There will always be the venison flavor that blend out well when you use extra seasoning. I like using spices such as garlic powder and crushed black pepper.

Keep experimenting and always make sure and take all the care possible from the shot to the freezer.

As DBLAARCHERY says don't pay any attention to the other comments, if we don't ask questions we miss our chance to learn from each other.

#1069853 - 12/06/08 08:30 AM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: Webbie]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

thanks ... i have done it myself a couple of times but am still just learning. i know it aint gonna taste like pork or chicken i just wanted to know how other people did theirs. thanks for the advice an not being a smart ellic... i guess i have been cutting off the meat too soon and not letting enough blood drain out. thanks again.

I don't believe quartering or deboning right away will cause gamey meat..........now it may cause less tender meat. Hanging it or chilling it for several days help the tissue to break down and "age" the meat. In a controlled environment beef is hung for weeks to achieve cuts such as filet migon............I have never tried to bleed out or leach out the blood, without it in the meat, you have a lifeless/tasteless piece of shoe leather.

I believe the "aging" process is the most important part of the entire process.

FDXX75

#1069868 - 12/06/08 09:00 AM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Good advice above. Something that needs to be added. Deer fat is very different than beef or pork.You need to trim as much fat as possible from your venision.Use a fillet knife to seperate the fat from the meat just like filleting a fish. Deer fat is tallow it is very different from the marrow that you are used to. The venison fat is the #1 reason for a gamey taste. When you freeze the fat it puts the gamey taste in the good meat.Beef fat and marrow from beef bones has an agreeable flavor; deer tallow does not,
http://www.askthemeatman.com/answers/answer_to_does_deer_fat_lead_to_.htm
http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/deer_hunting/venison.htm
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
119 registered (moore, PEhunter, waterfowlwidowmaker, SEC, 280longshot, double browtine, 10 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92894 Topics
1085416 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.099 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.