Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1069979 - 12/06/08 11:36 AM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

One more thing, when you cook it. Never, never, never cook it well done.................You might as well through it in the garbage.

Skillet, grilled, sautee'd to med. or med. rare

Roaster (covered) or Crock Pot you can do for extended period of time and it will fall off the bone.

Stay away from salting the meat prior to cooking, it will be tough and shrink up to half its original size. Pepper, garlic, basil, etc go great to enhance the natural flavor of deer. I say deer because there are many forms of venison (moose, elk, caribou, buffalo,etc) and they all taste differently.

The more time you spend prepping the meat before freezing the better the end result at the table will be.

That is exactly why I will never have a deer processed.....it is slam bam thank you maam..........time is money, the more deer done in an hr. the more money the make. Besides, I refuse to pay someone to ruin my hard earned meat.

One other thing, you know exactly what you are eating and how clean the tools and work area is that it was processed on. I know of at least two places that keep a couple steaks, portions of the chops, etc off every deer they process for personal consumption and their extended family members. They never step in the woods, but always have full freezers full of meat.

Makes ya go HHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, doesn't it.

FDXX75

#1070125 - 12/06/08 03:19 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

If you don't like tallow ,most people don't, REMOVE ALL BONES..
After cooking let the meat rest a few minites. This gives the juices time to redistribute. Keeps it from being dry. If you cut it to soon the juices all run out of the meat.This is a good rule to follow with any meat.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#1070171 - 12/06/08 04:31 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: Webbie]
bowfire
Spike

Loc: West TN

Just a little tip should you decide to grind any. My local grocery sells "cheap bacon " (mostly fat) in 10 pound boxes for about 14 bucks. I use it instead of beef fat for a little different taste. 3 parts deer, one part cheap bacon.

#1070234 - 12/06/08 06:02 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: bowfire]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bowfire
Just a little tip should you decide to grind any. My local grocery sells "cheap bacon " (mostly fat) in 10 pound boxes for about 14 bucks. I use it instead of beef fat for a little different taste. 3 parts deer, one part cheap bacon.

Most butcher shops will sell and even grind what they call pork scrap, it is the trimmings for the roasts, chops & loins. It is marbled pork meat and fat. It works great for mixing with venison to make sausage, meatloaf mix, keilbasa, etc.

FDXX75

#1070261 - 12/06/08 06:28 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
DBLAARCHERY
Woodpile Boys Neighbor
14 Point

Loc: Cannon County Outback

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
 Originally Posted By: DBLAARCHERY
Don't pay any atention to them...The gamey taste is due to two reasons...
1. Deer could be older
2. Depends on how quick you go from field to freezer...
I have spent alot of time in my buddies meat processor and have seen many diffrent ways of doing it...This is how I process my deer...

1. Gut and clean blood off meat ASAP...
2. Chill or cool animal as fast as you can...(this means if it is hot out don't ride around town for 2-3 hours showing your deer off).
3. A.If it is warm I like to quarter out my deer and place in cooler for a day or two allowing blood to drain out of meat...(don't forget to keep ice on meat and leave drain plug open...
B.If it is cool, 45 or lower I like to skin deer and hang for atleast a day...Make sure you do not place in the direct sunlight...This will allow rapid bacteriea to grow...also try to cover with cheese cloth or game bags...Keeps flies from laying eggs on meat...
4. once you have your meat quartered and chilled time to debone...My advice is to stop by your local meat processor and ask to watch them cut meat...Although you will not pick up on everything they are doing...You will get a good idea how to start...
5. once you have cut meet place in gladd baggies or I like to use the game saver bags and seal them up...

This is not something you are going to be fast at for the first time but the more you cut up the more you will learn...you will also tweak your skills everytime you cut...Happy eating...

Aaron

Ok, I can agree with @ 95% of the above. There are more than two reasons deer can have a gamey taste. But, if you are expecting venison to taste like beef,chicken,veal or pork.....it won't happen. Venison tastes differently as it should. I have hunted for 30 yrs now, been processing deer with the family for over 40. I have never once sent one out to be processed, In all my yrs I have only had two deer (both bucks) that where nasty and went into the grinder.

It all starts with the field dressing and care of the the animal in the next several hrs.

Get it field dressed and opened up to start cooling, if the temps are below 40 degs you are ok, above that get it somewhere to hang in a cooler or get it skinned, quartered and chilled down soon.

I don't understand the soaking in ice water thing.............? I worked in many resturaunt and never once have I seen a steak soaked in water, burger or any meat for that matter.

Soaking red meat in water makes it tasteless and plain.

I will normally hang a deer at least 5-7 days temp permitting (hide on) or 7-10 days in a refrigerater quartered on cookie trays and covered in plastic wrap to prevent drying out.

I debone and seperate the muscle groups....steaks, chops, stew, etc. When done vacuum seal, label with marker, date and in the freezer.

If you have the chance to watch someone skin & quarter one, it will help you greatly, deboning as well. Once you have done one yourself it is very easy after that. It is time consuming, but worth every since minute of the time at the plate.

FDXX75

I never suggested putting your meat in water...I suggested to place it in a cooler with ice to chill the meat...I also suggested to leave drain plug open so meat does not sit in water...Oh well no big deal just don't like people putting words in my mouth...

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...Teach him how to fish and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!

#1070301 - 12/06/08 07:02 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, but I hate to inform you that by time the water makes its way to the drain, it has already worked its way through or over the meat. Water and red meat don't mix...............period.

But if you are going to place the meat in a cooler, place the meat in "food grade" plastic bags and layer the meat with newspaper and ice and repeat, meat-paper-ice. The paper will absorb the water and is one of the best insulation materials you can use, your ice will last longer also.

FDXX75

#1070933 - 12/07/08 12:21 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
BigGame
10 Point

Loc: Humphreys,TN

A lot of good advice. I prefer a little wild taste. It is keeping it from getting tough is what a lot of people have a problem with. Aging your deer will help a lot as well as some good marinades. As someone else said dont over cook.

#1075277 - 12/09/08 08:50 PM Re: what is the best way to process it your self? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I always quarter mine out.....over 80 to my credit and unlike some others i do drain all of the blood i can get out of it and never has it been tastless or any other lack of flavor?....Deer blood is NOT tasty and for it to go does nothing but enhance the allready flavored characteristics of venison.....to each his own.
Garlic, black pepper, soy sauce.....were created for venison and if you have not stir fried in toasted sesame oil you have not lived!
back straps cooked on the grill after sprinkling with ample amounts of black pepper and garlic and wrapped in hickory smoked bacon and cooked for around 20 to 30 minutes depending on the doneness of the meat is out of this world.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
LHanks24, Tkicm, Jingaling, colthutch, Pony Boy
13560 Registered Users
Who's Online
121 registered (feldmutze, wildb1, Zulu, tyson007, BARhunter, Heavy Mass, 8 invisible) and 184 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13560 Members
43 Forums
99509 Topics
1170544 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.