Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1114553 - 01/05/09 07:01 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: buckdead]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

The first deer I shot this year was in my favorite hunting spot. I didn't want to field dress my deer there because I didn't want coyotes scenting it up, and I wanted to hunt it the next few days. So I had to figure out how to get that big boy out of there. I tried to lift it onto my ATV, but I just wasn't strong enough.
What worked like a charm was that I found a small washout ditch that was about 2 feet deep, drove the ATV over and ran the front wheels off in it. Then I just dragged the deer around to the other side of the ditch and rolled it onto the front rack of the ATV. The rack was parallel with the ground, more or less, and it was not hard at all.

#1114790 - 01/05/09 08:49 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: BlackBelt]
ROD
4 Point

Loc: HAMILTON COUNTY

i have a small ratchet type winch that i throw a rope over a tree limb. i raise the deer up and back the atv under it, i let the deer down on either rack i choose. before that i just lifted the head up and tied it off on the rack and rode real slow
#1121269 - 01/09/09 10:59 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: BigGame]
Hatchee
6 Point

Loc: West Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BigGame
 Originally Posted By: fishboy1
Get a plastic sled. If you can find one, get the kind that look like the rescue basket with the rope handles on the side.

Roll deer into sled and bunjee cord down. Tie rope from front of sled to 4 wheeler. Drag out. No lifting required.

You will have to keep an eye that it doesn't turn over when rounding corners or going over obstacles.

I like that idea.

I used the duck decoy sled that Cabelas sells for a little while, but like Fishboy pointed out it was kind of unstable unless you're just dragging it down a logging road or across a field.
What I use now is an old jon boat.
I found one that was all beat up, bent up and leaking. Told the guy I'd haul it off for him but that didn't work out so it cost me $50.00. Still the aluminum in it is worth that.
It was a 10 foot boat; I cut 4 foot out of the middle. I made sure I left enough in front of the transom so that I could reattach it to the front section. Got me some round head bolts, drilled a few holes and put it back together.
For once, I thought far enough ahead to make sure that I made it small enough to fit into the back of my truck with a toolbox in the bed.
Pull up next to the deer, set the boat up on the side with the interior of the boat facing the deer, roll the deer over on it's back holding the legs up. Push the legs toward the boat, let the boat go and the deer flops over into the boat. Hook to 4 wheeler and admire the fall foliage as you "drag" your deer back to the truck.
I use a 14 foot trailer to haul my 4 wheeler on, so I just pull 4 wheeler, boat and deer up on the trailer and take off.
I had back surgery in '03, hip surgery November 3rd of this year and had knee surgery this past Wednesday. My son has teased me about using the same rig to get me to my stand!!!

#1142349 - 01/22/09 01:30 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
CoastieHunter
4 Point

Loc: Southaven, MS

Why buy anything?
Hook a rope around it's neck and use the ATV to drag it out of the woods?

When I hunted pigs in S. Texas hell we used to chain them spread eagle to the bumper and drive 20mph down a gravel road just to get the ticks/mites off of them.

I would just drag it. I also would only do that if I haven't dressed it yet.

#1143302 - 01/22/09 10:45 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: CoastieHunter]
tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

Loc: tn

I can't see dragging an animal any distance if it is intended to be eaten. Less bruising, means better meat.
IMO

#1144159 - 01/23/09 01:39 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: tndoe
I can't see dragging an animal any distance if it is intended to be eaten. Less bruising, means better meat.
IMO

Interesting. I've been doing the huntin' thang for a long time and I didn't know that. I just assumed that once the deer was dead, the meat could not be negatively affected by handling.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1152417 - 01/28/09 02:34 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: gil1]
Happy Birthday TN Deer Slayer
10 Point

Loc: Morgan County TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
 Originally Posted By: tndoe
IMO

Interesting. I've been doing the huntin' thang for a long time and I didn't know that. I just assumed that once the deer was dead, the meat could not be negatively affected by handling.

#1158738 - 02/01/09 08:40 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
rvrfshr
4 Point

Loc: NE Mississippi

a couple of lengths of rope and a sturdy canvass tarp with grommets should assist you with hoisting your kill onto your atv, attach the ropes (2) to your atv, lay them under the tarp and position your deer on the tarp, by pulling the attached ropes (and tarp) onto the back of your atv, this should ease your problem

#1179695 - 02/14/09 10:59 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: rvrfshr]
tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: rvrfshr
a couple of lengths of rope and a sturdy canvass tarp with grommets should assist you with hoisting your kill onto your atv, attach the ropes (2) to your atv, lay them under the tarp and position your deer on the tarp, by pulling the attached ropes (and tarp) onto the back of your atv, this should ease your problem

This is something similar to what I had in mind. Just need a way to make the hoisting part easier. \:\)

bruising of the meat...
I know once an animal is killed and chilled, there is little or no harm in tossing it around. might even tenderize it just a bit.
Science says the blood stops flowing naturally when the heart quits beating, so any bruising has to be done before the heart stops? But just the idea of dragging an animal up and down gullies, over blacktop, gravel and such just doesn't appeal to me. But some of the places I hunt, that would work perfectly.

Do we have a scientist/doctor on board that can answer the bruising question for certain?

#1180717 - 02/15/09 06:02 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
bull
4 Point

Loc: north mississippi

I mounted a boat trailer roller on my front rack (higher than my handlebars) and on the rear rack. I just run my winch cable over the rollers and it lifts the deer into my rear basket rack.
I may modify the tailgate part of the basket rack to act like a ramp.

Makes it a lot easier......

Gene

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870, IDOT
13410 Registered Users
Who's Online
116 registered (Arrowslanger, Rockhound, mossyhorns300, TheRealSpurhunter, Football Hunter, snaildarter, 13 invisible) and 169 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13410 Members
42 Forums
96571 Topics
1130760 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.