Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1021921 - 11/11/08 08:02 AM in desperate need of a good idea
tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

Loc: tn

If I hunt alone, I always worry about how I will get my kill loaded and out of the woods. Most of the time I hunt henry county on a farm where the landowner is always available to lend a hand. But I still have my concerns about being able to collect my trophy alone.

If yall have any ideas, please help me out.
I do have a large atv and was trying to come up with a rack system that would 'roll' the deer up onto the rack. I am not as strong as I once was and heaving on heavy loads is out of the question due to my health.
I asked hubby about a wench and he says it has to be attached to the atv frame. Also I prefer loading the deer on the front of the atv, not the back.

any ideas? something simple? not expensive...

#1021952 - 11/11/08 08:26 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Here is one option to look at or even, errrr, ahhhh, make one of your own.

http://www.cspoutdoors.com/deerloader.html

I know of another version, but can't seem to locate it just yet.

I will keep trying.

FDXX75

This one is very cool, video also.

http://www.discountramps.com/atv-deer-loader.htm

Edited by FULLDRAWXX75 (11/11/08 08:37 AM)

#1022407 - 11/11/08 12:15 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Tie a rope around the deers neck. Stand on the ATV and throw the loose end over a tree limb ,then tie it to the ATV. Back up untill the deer is 6 to 8 ft in the air.Tie another rope around the deers feet as you pull forward swing the deer over your cargo rack and lower into place. This is pretty simple after you do it a couple of times. When I have to load a big one in my truck bed by myself It's the method I use. A couple ropes and your good to go.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#1022566 - 11/11/08 01:46 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Here's another one that looks easy enough to c__y.

http://www.ezloaderllc.com/Web%20files/AboutUS.html

FDXX75

#1022816 - 11/11/08 03:49 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
LCU
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co

I use my Hunter Safety System to drag them out of the woods to the road. No always easy,but I can't get my 4 wheeler back in the woods where I hunt.
My problem was standing in my truck bed, getting the body up and over my tailgate. I have a FX4 and it is a back breaker bending over.
I built and powder coated a rack that goes into my receiver hitch. I can easily load the deer onto it,and strap it down.
I made tiedowns, and mounted a LED lightbar on it with brakelights, taillights and TS's.
Yo can buy them,but most are cheap metal,and can't handle much weight.
Glock

It's all about the hunt.
Taking game is just a bonus.

It's the Indian,and not the Arrow.

#1023098 - 11/11/08 06:46 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: LCU]
tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

thanks guys, keep the ideas coming.
Most of the deer I kill wind up out in a field or around small trees. The farm I hunt has been logged in the last five years and just not a whole lot of trees around to swing a deer from.

Like I said, I used to haul hay and toss bucks onto the atv like it was nothing. I do good now just to get out there and stay a couple hours each time.

#1023154 - 11/11/08 07:18 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

bowriter has a hoist that loads it on the front,i think you have to have a winch to make it work but its no effort loading,leave it tied to the 4wheeler & load it & head to the processors,it could always be changed to anther ride if needed & the winch may come in handy some day,mike243

#1023265 - 11/11/08 07:57 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: mike243]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

I saw a device that was two forks and leg, you drove up to the deer and lowered the forks with the leg either forward or under the 4 wheeler, then either backed up or ahead and the leg lifted the forks and rolled the deer right up on to the rack. Worked frt or back of machine.

I am still looking................grrrrrrrrrr.

FDXX75

#1023304 - 11/11/08 08:16 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjEb7kGn1E

#1023563 - 11/11/08 10:15 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
big 8's in Weakley county
16 Point

Loc: south fulton

Buy you a hangulator at Rural king they are a smaller version and like 80 bucks weld a 2 inch reciever up front and you can winch it up in the air and to the rack and you are done.
http://www.disabledsportsmenusa.proboards.com/index.cgi

#1023759 - 11/12/08 06:34 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Get a plastic sled. If you can find one, get the kind that look like the rescue basket with the rope handles on the side.

Roll deer into sled and bunjee cord down. Tie rope from front of sled to 4 wheeler. Drag out. No lifting required.

You will have to keep an eye that it doesn't turn over when rounding corners or going over obstacles.

#1033713 - 11/16/08 11:59 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: fishboy1]
scope eye
8 Point

Loc: martin

If you got a good place to hunt, I'll hunt with ya.
That way you won't be alone.
There, problem solved and I did not cost you a dime!! \:\)

#1034502 - 11/17/08 11:40 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: scope eye]
CZ284
8 Point

Loc: Rossville, Tn

Good suggestions, but you may want to be careful asking your husband about a WENCH. You might get way more info than you wanted.....;-)

Edited by CZ284 (11/17/08 11:41 AM)

#1035954 - 11/17/08 09:08 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: CZ284]
worriedman
6 Point

Loc: Bells

I got one of the receiver hitch racks for my 4-wheeler, then used a piece of straight 2" tube to replace the one that came on it, the factory bend is great for mounting a spray rig, but too high to pick a deer up to by one's self. Step up on the rack and it goes down, roll the deer up on it, and tie it off, the whole thing jumps back up.

Edited by worriedman (11/17/08 09:09 PM)

Life Member NRA, TFA, Tennesseans for Liberty

#1036440 - 11/18/08 07:51 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Originally Posted By: tndoe
If I hunt alone, I always worry about how I will get my kill loaded and out of the woods. Most of the time I hunt henry county on a farm where the landowner is always available to lend a hand. But I still have my concerns about being able to collect my trophy alone.

I do have a large atv and was trying to come up with a rack system that would 'roll' the deer up onto the rack. I am not as strong as I once was and heaving on heavy loads is out of the question due to my health.
I asked hubby about a wench and he says it has to be attached to the atv frame. Also I prefer loading the deer on the front of the atv, not the back.

Mary,

I saw just what you are talking about at Garnder Mountian in Paducah the other day. You fix it to the back rack of your ATV and the other end under the deers middle then you back the ATV up, it lifts the deer up and rolls it onto the back rack of the ATV. All you have to do it tie the deer down and go.

It was marked down from $199 to $69. I thought about buying one.

#1054361 - 11/27/08 06:33 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
Allen Sullivan
12 Point

Loc: Ridgely, TN

Here is what I use

#1055288 - 11/27/08 09:18 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

hmmmm, an idea.

I have one of those racks that goes on the back of the jeep.
Couldn't I get a different hitch hookup and use that?
It is low enough to the ground, I think I could hoist a deer upon it with some ratchet straps....
what do ya think?

#1061660 - 12/02/08 08:02 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: fishboy1]
BigGame
10 Point

Loc: Humphreys,TN

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
Get a plastic sled. If you can find one, get the kind that look like the rescue basket with the rope handles on the side.

Roll deer into sled and bunjee cord down. Tie rope from front of sled to 4 wheeler. Drag out. No lifting required.

You will have to keep an eye that it doesn't turn over when rounding corners or going over obstacles.

I like that idea.

#1111594 - 01/03/09 08:46 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: BigGame]
Outdoor Lady
16 Point

Loc: Maynardville, Tn

tndoe...get you two 20 yr old body builders, they can do all the work!

I actually like the sled idea.

"Outdoor Lady"

#1111878 - 01/04/09 01:42 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: Outdoor Lady]
buckdead
8 Point

Loc: southern middle tn

old wheelbarrle knock the wheels and handles and stand things off and put you a u-bolt through the front and tie rope to it and 4wheeler and drag it to the truck. dont know how to tell ya to get it in the truck. maybe someone else can help ya with that.

#1114553 - 01/05/09 07:01 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: buckdead]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

The first deer I shot this year was in my favorite hunting spot. I didn't want to field dress my deer there because I didn't want coyotes scenting it up, and I wanted to hunt it the next few days. So I had to figure out how to get that big boy out of there. I tried to lift it onto my ATV, but I just wasn't strong enough.
What worked like a charm was that I found a small washout ditch that was about 2 feet deep, drove the ATV over and ran the front wheels off in it. Then I just dragged the deer around to the other side of the ditch and rolled it onto the front rack of the ATV. The rack was parallel with the ground, more or less, and it was not hard at all.

#1114790 - 01/05/09 08:49 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: BlackBelt]
ROD
4 Point

Loc: HAMILTON COUNTY

i have a small ratchet type winch that i throw a rope over a tree limb. i raise the deer up and back the atv under it, i let the deer down on either rack i choose. before that i just lifted the head up and tied it off on the rack and rode real slow
#1121269 - 01/09/09 10:59 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: BigGame]
Hatchee
6 Point

Loc: West Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BigGame
 Originally Posted By: fishboy1

I like that idea.

I used the duck decoy sled that Cabelas sells for a little while, but like Fishboy pointed out it was kind of unstable unless you're just dragging it down a logging road or across a field.
What I use now is an old jon boat.
I found one that was all beat up, bent up and leaking. Told the guy I'd haul it off for him but that didn't work out so it cost me $50.00. Still the aluminum in it is worth that.
It was a 10 foot boat; I cut 4 foot out of the middle. I made sure I left enough in front of the transom so that I could reattach it to the front section. Got me some round head bolts, drilled a few holes and put it back together.
For once, I thought far enough ahead to make sure that I made it small enough to fit into the back of my truck with a toolbox in the bed.
Pull up next to the deer, set the boat up on the side with the interior of the boat facing the deer, roll the deer over on it's back holding the legs up. Push the legs toward the boat, let the boat go and the deer flops over into the boat. Hook to 4 wheeler and admire the fall foliage as you "drag" your deer back to the truck.
I use a 14 foot trailer to haul my 4 wheeler on, so I just pull 4 wheeler, boat and deer up on the trailer and take off.
I had back surgery in '03, hip surgery November 3rd of this year and had knee surgery this past Wednesday. My son has teased me about using the same rig to get me to my stand!!!

#1142349 - 01/22/09 01:30 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
CoastieHunter
4 Point

Loc: Southaven, MS

Why buy anything?
Hook a rope around it's neck and use the ATV to drag it out of the woods?

When I hunted pigs in S. Texas hell we used to chain them spread eagle to the bumper and drive 20mph down a gravel road just to get the ticks/mites off of them.

I would just drag it. I also would only do that if I haven't dressed it yet.

#1143302 - 01/22/09 10:45 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: CoastieHunter]
tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

I can't see dragging an animal any distance if it is intended to be eaten. Less bruising, means better meat.
IMO

#1144159 - 01/23/09 01:39 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I can't see dragging an animal any distance if it is intended to be eaten. Less bruising, means better meat.
IMO

Interesting. I've been doing the huntin' thang for a long time and I didn't know that. I just assumed that once the deer was dead, the meat could not be negatively affected by handling.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1152417 - 01/28/09 02:34 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: gil1]
TN Deer Slayer
10 Point

Loc: Morgan County TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
IMO

Interesting. I've been doing the huntin' thang for a long time and I didn't know that. I just assumed that once the deer was dead, the meat could not be negatively affected by handling.

#1158738 - 02/01/09 08:40 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
rvrfshr
4 Point

Loc: NE Mississippi

a couple of lengths of rope and a sturdy canvass tarp with grommets should assist you with hoisting your kill onto your atv, attach the ropes (2) to your atv, lay them under the tarp and position your deer on the tarp, by pulling the attached ropes (and tarp) onto the back of your atv, this should ease your problem

#1179695 - 02/14/09 10:59 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: rvrfshr]
tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

Originally Posted By: rvrfshr
a couple of lengths of rope and a sturdy canvass tarp with grommets should assist you with hoisting your kill onto your atv, attach the ropes (2) to your atv, lay them under the tarp and position your deer on the tarp, by pulling the attached ropes (and tarp) onto the back of your atv, this should ease your problem

This is something similar to what I had in mind. Just need a way to make the hoisting part easier. \:\)

bruising of the meat...
I know once an animal is killed and chilled, there is little or no harm in tossing it around. might even tenderize it just a bit.
Science says the blood stops flowing naturally when the heart quits beating, so any bruising has to be done before the heart stops? But just the idea of dragging an animal up and down gullies, over blacktop, gravel and such just doesn't appeal to me. But some of the places I hunt, that would work perfectly.

Do we have a scientist/doctor on board that can answer the bruising question for certain?

#1180717 - 02/15/09 06:02 AM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: tndoe]
bull
4 Point

Loc: north mississippi

I mounted a boat trailer roller on my front rack (higher than my handlebars) and on the rear rack. I just run my winch cable over the rollers and it lifts the deer into my rear basket rack.
I may modify the tailgate part of the basket rack to act like a ramp.

Makes it a lot easier......

Gene

#1206295 - 02/28/09 12:25 PM Re: in desperate need of a good idea [Re: CoastieHunter]
DBLAARCHERY
Woodpile Boys Neighbor
14 Point

Loc: Cannon County Outback

Originally Posted By: CoastieHunter
Why buy anything?
Hook a rope around it's neck and use the ATV to drag it out of the woods?

When I hunted pigs in S. Texas hell we used to chain them spread eagle to the bumper and drive 20mph down a gravel road just to get the ticks/mites off of them.

I would just drag it. I also would only do that if I haven't dressed it yet.

Diffrence here is you aren't mounting those ugly porkers...The deer is a diffrent story...Rope, Tree limb, and 4-wheeler...What else do you need...

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...Teach him how to fish and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi, Brad1
13550 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (m_allison71, bguy, TraumaSlave, TiminTN, levergunner, Hunt 365, 1 invisible) and 75 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13550 Members
42 Forums
99350 Topics
1168705 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.