Zip Lock Bag Omelet

Hawk

We cooked these several times last season at the duck blind

Eggs, zip lock bag, pot of boiling water, and anything you want to put in an omelet, such as cheese, ham, sausage, onion, bell peppers, etc. Use two eggs per person (3 if they are really hungry).

Directions
Scramble eggs in a small bowl, or, in a blender with a touch of water (not milk) and blend until frothy.

Pour into a zip lock bag, add any other ingredients you like. Push out most of the air from the bag (very important) and zip it closed.

Holding the top of the bag, drop it into water that is boiling . Check the clock and let them cook for exactly 13 minutes; no more, no less.

In the meantime, gather the toast, biscuits, jelly or jam, hash browns, sliced tomatoes, etc. to go with the omelet. At the end of 13 minutes, take the bag from the water (I usually pat the bag dry with a towel), handle carefully since it will be very hot. Unzip the bag and turn it upside down above the plate and shake gently until the egg falls onto the plate.

InfoMan

No point in messing up a bowl. Simply break the eggs into the bag, zip it closed and mix them be mashing the bag with your fingers. Then add other ingredients.

You can also eat right out of the bag instead of using a plate. This works great with kids on a camping trip.

No the bag will not melt. Best to use a thicker freezer bag rather than a sandwich bag.

SuperX2

Be sure to use the heavy-duty freezer bags like InfoMan said. Don't use the cheap-o, thinner sandwich bags. They can and WILL melt on you in the boiling water.

When done right, this is an AWESOME way to enjoy cooking in the outdoors!

AlanP

Infoman,

I still use a recipe you taught me, several years back, at an Info and Education Meeting.

Three cans of sliced peaches (heavy syrup)
One Stick of butter
One box of yellow cake mix

melt the butter, pour half of it in a cast iron pan, add a can and a half of peaches, dump in the yellow cake mix, pour the rest of the peaches and butter on top, shove it in the oven. Easiest peach cobbler on earth.

Latest posts