WMA Success??

Grizzly Johnson

My dad has NEVER been turky hunting and just retired from trucking @ age 62. I would like to take him and try to get him a first/maybe only bird..... He lives in the Paris, Tn. area so I was looking at possibly the Springville Bottoms WMA but I'm not too sure how crowded it would be or if there are many birds to hunt..... Anyone had any luck hunting turkey's there?

TLRanger

Never hunted Springville Bottoms but LBL is right out his back door and I know there are lots of turkeys there. Hunt during the middle of the week and there is not lots of pressure. The birds are not easy there but they are killable.

TheLBLman

Grizzly_Johnson said:
Springville Bottoms WMA
I believe the Springville Bottoms WMA is open "same as statewide" for turkey hunting, meaning it would be an available choice during early turkey season.

On the other hand, despite the proximity, LBL is a "closed" area during the statewide early turkey season. Then, once LBL does open to turkey hunting, it's via a "quota" hunt preceding any non-quota hunting.

If your dad lives in Paris, best bet might be for him to find someone he knows who has turkeys on their property, and would allow your dad (and you) to come hunt them.

You might also give consideration to the Natchez Trace WMA, particularly if that's a place in between where you live and your dad ---- wouldn't be but about an hour's drive for him.

cruff10

I went to Catoosa one time and it was and will be my last.

I had a bird gobbling right off the roost. He was comming and and hung up 40 yards behind a brush pile, when a idiot came up and was squaking (not calling but squaking) at the bird not 30 yards behind me. The bird heard him and ran the other way!!!!

That morning I heard 30 hooters and 1,000 hens!!!

never again!!!

Latest posts