Food Plots What to mix in my fall clover

RobbyW

I have a plot that I want to be a clover field moving forward. I find I have better results if I plant my clover in the fall, but that makes that plot not very attractive in that first year. So I want to plant something in with my clover that may bring deer in until the spring when the clover takes off. Oats is my first guess, any other ideas?

Bayou Buck

I would plant winter wheat with it. Then you can spray it with a selective herbicide next summer after the wheat goes to grain.

Mr. Hawk

I have the same question but I put clover in this spring. What do y'all think about me mixing in some turnips this fall?

kpr

I've converted most all of my plots to clover and have a system that has worked for several years. I plant a mixture of perennial clovers along with wheat. Each spring I mow and spray. Mow again in early fall. Then when the time is right, I very lightly disc and overseed with wheat. Its that simple and has been very successful. Have a couple that I planted in 2008 and the clover today is so thick that it keeps most of the unwanted weeds out.

Boone 58

You cant beat winter wheat and winter oats in a ladino white clover plot! Deer love this and I am willing to say that this mix is very.................very hard to beat for overall production and performance and "use". 10 seasons of proof. :cool:

Latest posts